THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:21 PM

Default Old newbie to selling/shipping ?'s

As stated, I am a complete newbie to selling and shipping to anyone.
I have a small project that I am working on that at some point will require me to sell/ship and get paid by members of forums like we have here.
This item will be about 15-20 lbs and the same size packaging for every transaction.
Possible volume would be something like 20-30,
but if it catches on, it could be more.

What kind of advise can you that have some experience with similar give me?
Just looking for the KISS method without getting hosed by those out there that choose to hose.

Thanks. Doug

Old 11-01-2022, 01:41 PM

The post office flat rate boxes work great for heavy items. If it fits in the large box it's like 22 bucks, medium box is 17

The Following User Says Thank You to indiangiver 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2022, 01:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiangiver 68 View Post
The post office flat rate boxes work great for heavy items. If it fits in the large box it's like 22 bucks, medium box is 17

I have to agree with Indiangiver 68!

UPS & Fed Ex would be way higher for that kind of weight, just as long as it fits in the USPS box!

Since I can sometimes have a bit of a rebel streak in me...I have often wanted to ship a block of lead in one of those "If it fits, it ships" boxes to myself just to see what happened! LOL

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421+
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
The Following User Says Thank You to Bills Auto Works For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2022, 01:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Hard to beat USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate pricing if your item will fit in THEIR box.

We do a LOT of shipping with USPS Priority Mail, and a majority of it via Flat Rate boxes. The make a half-dozen sizes from VHS tape size to 12"x12"x5.5".

You didn't mention how large your sale item is (or will be), but the Post Office even provides the boxes for Flat Rate shipments. They will actually deliver them to you via your normal mail delivery.

The two largest boxes that qualify for Flat Rate are either (23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3") or (12" x 12" x 5-1/2"). Postage = $22.45 plus any insurance charges.

I believe the flat rate will cover up to 70 lbs, so you're good-to-go as far as weight.

As with anything you entrust to the Post Office, things need to be WELL-packed and protected. But that is true with UPS and FEDEX also.

And you can set-up an online account so you can generate labels and pay the postage online instead of at the Post Office.

We still wait through the line at the Post Office when we drop things off, but they just scan the boxes and print a receipt and we're finished.

There are some items we ship that are long (48" or so). For boxes that long, the USPS is cost-prohibitive, so we use UPS.

Good luck with your project!

Old 11-01-2022, 03:36 PM

I have looked into the flat rate stuff.
Pretty much would work for me.
Project is only 7x7x1 1/2 without packing.
Now I have to figure the getting paid part.
With all the hoopla over Paypal, not sure I want to go that route.
Have thought of the USPS money order or even old skool and thought C.O.D.
Just not sure there are many other simple solutions.

Old 11-01-2022, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We use the USPS Priority Flat Rate Boxes; BUT:

These things are flimsy! Anything over about 5 pounds, we line the inside of the box with corrugated cardboard!

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 11-01-2022, 05:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default When we ship items that are flimsy or fragile, we normally double-box them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pav8427 View Post
I have looked into the flat rate stuff.
Pretty much would work for me.
Project is only 7x7x1 1/2 without packing.
Now I have to figure the getting paid part.
Have thought of the USPS money order or even old skool and thought C.O.D.
Just not sure there are many other simple solutions.
As Jon pointed out, they boxes are thin cardboard so they're fairly flimsy.

With some items, we have packed them up really securely in a Medium Flat Rate box (11" x 8.5" x 5.5") then pack THAT box into a Large Flat Rate box with packing in between the two boxes.

Since your item is fairly small, you could even just use the Medium box lined with double-wall corrugated cardboard to stiffen it up.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2022, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pav8427 View Post
You hear the complaints about PayPal, but you never hear about the successful transactions. It's far and away the most used online payment. They have about 41 million transactions per day; I don't know how many of those go bad but it has to be a very small percentage.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Set up a separate account linked to pay pal. Then transfer money out after you get it. PayPal can and does FREEZE certain amounts If the transaction was for a product, not friends and family and was complained about. People think their purchases are protected by PayPal, but only eBay will. Usually the seller gets the shaft.
REMINDER. PayPal acts in the interest of the IRS and Will send them sales info on you. Once over 600 bucks, you getca 1099 from PayPal as your income for TAX PURPOSES.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My experience is similar to many on the board.

The USPS flat rate boxes are reasonable. It cost me $22 to ship a distributor to CA. I believe I double-boxed it. The box arrived to the destination badly beaten up, even had a USPS label on it noting it could be damaged. Luckily it survived undamaged. I also shipped a 1970 Formula 400 starter to the opposite side of the country for the same $22 (I am in North Carolina). I also double-boxed it and I believe I applied a second address label to the inside box. I know it arrived with no problems. FedEx would have charged double or triple that amount for a heavy item.

As for payment, I tend to be old-skool. At one time I set up a Paypal account that I used for one purchase. I don't do a lot of business with Ebay, so the account was rarely used. I had two different friends who had issues with PayPal, so I closed the PayPal account and closed the account connected to PayPal. In today's world, I don't want anyone to have direct access to my accounts. I take personal checks and money orders. Most people have been easy to deal with, a few have been hesitant to deal with me. If someone asks for references, I don't mind giving them.

I always enjoyed going to swap meets. You get a weekend in the sun, you meet a bunch of new people, and any parts for sale are inspected personally. Once I retire, I think I'll be going to more shows.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:34 AM

Thanks for all the info.
As of now I think I will run with the flat rate boxes.
I will go with Paypal and offer the option for personal checks or money orders.
Seems like the easiest route at the moment.

Doug.