Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-12-2023, 05:40 AM

Default Bushed Bearing Solid Roller Lifter Oil Restrictor Size

I have BAM DLC coated bushed bearing lifters. It sounds like the bushings 'ask' for more oil to them to keep them happy. What are you guys running on your lifter bore restrictors with bushed bearings?

Old 04-12-2023, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On my motors that ran needle Bearing roller lifters that where not self restricted I used a .030" hole in my lifter Bore restrictors , with bushing types I would increase that .030" up to .045" assuming this is a true race motor and will not see any street miles.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 04-12-2023, 07:59 AM

I guess I should have stated this will be abused on the street. Ive seen somewhere that .060 was used for street solids rollers with needles.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well you where posting in the race section so that what I have assumed the usage was for.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 04-12-2023, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have run .030 on street driven sft and SR cams. No issues.
I have a set of BAM DLC lifters and the guy who sold them to me asked the people who make them if .060 was enough. Its more than enough oil is what got back to me.

Old 04-12-2023, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We run .030 hole in the lifter bushing. This was with .904 and .937 Crower lifters with needles and bushing type.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2023, 05:38 AM

I messaged the owner of BAM lifters and he was very adamant to have as much oil as possible going to these bushed bearing lifters. I think im going to drill my restrictors at Ø.094 That sounds like a fair compromise to keeping oil fed to my mains, and enough oil to the lifter.

Old 04-13-2023, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most of the lifter manufacturers will say don't use a restrictor at all. .065 should be fine

Old 04-13-2023, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have bushed solid roller bushed lifters from BAM and i dont use any restrictors . The dealer i got them from told me to grind a slot in the lifter to get more oil but im not doing that .

Old 04-13-2023, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectramitch View Post
I messaged the owner of BAM lifters and he was very adamant to have as much oil as possible going to these bushed bearing lifters. I think im going to drill my restrictors at Ø.094 That sounds like a fair compromise to keeping oil fed to my mains, and enough oil to the lifter.
From dyno testing I 100% agree

Old 04-13-2023, 05:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We have run the BAM bushed lifters with no restrictors and no restricted pushrods in a race and street driven motor. Zero issues. The new ALUM IAII will have Crower tall body bushed hippo lifters and we are gonna do the same. No restrictors. Mike Leech always told us to get oil up to the springs to keep them cool. We never had an issue with oil to the mains doing this either. We re doing something totally opposite what the consensus is with the Pontiac world with the main bearings. ��

Boobs & bacon
The Following User Says Thank You to BADDTA For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectramitch View Post
You do need to consider where the information is coming from. Extra oil to the lifters can't possibly hurt them. So that ends their liability if there is any to begin with. There is one thing a Pontiac does with incredible efficiency. That's put a huge volume of oil to the top of the engine. Unfortunately, we know the downside. Pontiacs, in a real race situation, will starve the bottom end. Bearings first, then they kick the rods out. So there is a balancing act. Good luck with the build. I would recommend an increased oil capacity pan and an accumulator for safety.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 07:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDTA View Post
.......Mike Leech always told us to get oil up to the springs to keep them cool. .......
Exactly. First time I lashed the valves hot on my 428 with solid roller, the oil on the springs was still smoking when I pulled the valve covers. And that was from street driving at relatively low RPM.

I never installed restrictors either and the bearings are coping just fine. When I'm on it, I shift at 6500, so this ain't no stump puller.