Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-19-2023, 03:03 PM

Default Oil blow back

Hey guys, I have taken my new motor out on a few test drives and I have an issue that you guys can maybe help with. I have some aluminum valve covers with a couple of holes drilled for valve cover filters with rubber seals. I noticed there seems to be some oil on the valve covers either blowing through the seals or coming out of the air cleaner. I am using the break in oil at this moment. I dont have any vacuum lines running to anything. The brakes have electric vacuum and the back of the carb is plugged.

The motor is 455 stroked to a 497 with edlebrock heads and CR ratio 11+/- and solid rolor cam.

Old 09-19-2023, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can’t just run unbaffled type valve cover breathers , for without a baffle under them you have a problem, especially if you have rockers blasting oil out right under those breather holes.

If you are running tall valve covers, rocker studs and lifts over .525” then it’s helpful gain the oil oil control and lift stability that a stud girdle offers.

If your running roller rockers then somewhat restricted push rods may be the way to go, also with a new motor your rings may not be fully seated yet making for blowby.

How is the tune in the motor and how do the plugs look.

If at full throttle the motor is detonating then that makes blowby due to unseating the rings.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!

Last edited by steve25; 09-19-2023 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the response I will look into your comments and make changes.

Old 09-24-2023, 12:51 PM
Senior Chief

You need some type of crank case ventilation. A vacuum pump would be best, or a header crank case evac set up.

www.lancablingsolutions.com