PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-72 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=436)
-   -   70 Judge Tribute Build (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760624)

Hammertime Mike 07-01-2016 06:19 PM

Nice color !!

JSPONT 07-01-2016 08:20 PM

The light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!! Looks nice.

70455HOVert 07-06-2016 03:55 AM

Holy Moses! That color is perfect!!!

Now I know what color I'll be having my '05 CTS-V painted. WOW!!!!

RAIVJUMB 07-06-2016 09:25 AM

wow really great color, glad you are moving along. Mark

HWYSTR455 07-06-2016 11:57 AM

The pics sooo don't do the color or paint job justice. And wow, when the stripes are finally on there, it will pop!

On the edges of the fenders for example, the ridge remains kind of dark, and where the light is on the flat part of the panel, it's light with fine metallic. It's hard to explain, but it is a really nice effect. And it's not over-effect.

I looked at the color on other cars, Caddys, and it doesn't look even remotely like the same color. I guess the body lines and panel shapes make some of the 'effect' come out more.

They are color sanding as I type, and hope they get the clear shot this week. They are doing I think 3 coats of clear, and going for a 'deep' effect. It looks pretty wet as it is, too.

I will go up Friday and get a couple more shots to post...

72projectbird 07-06-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 (Post 5598922)
The pics sooo don't do the color or paint job justice. And wow, when the stripes are finally on there, it will pop!

On the edges of the fenders for example, the ridge remains kind of dark, and where the light is on the flat part of the panel, it's light with fine metallic. It's hard to explain, but it is a really nice effect. And it's not over-effect.

I looked at the color on other cars, Caddys, and it doesn't look even remotely like the same color. I guess the body lines and panel shapes make some of the 'effect' come out more.

They are color sanding as I type, and hope they get the clear shot this week. They are doing I think 3 coats of clear, and going for a 'deep' effect. It looks pretty wet as it is, too.

I will go up Friday and get a couple more shots to post...

That color is insane! I really like it. It almost sounds like its giving the effect of a candy paint, without the cost. Is the paint a singe stage that you're going to clear over? It looks way to shiny in the pics to be BCCC without clear on top.

You're completely right about the new car colors looking entirely different on old cars. Its great aint it? :cool:

HWYSTR455 07-07-2016 11:24 AM

Yeah, single stage, and the time spent on sanding the primer made it look like it was cleared!

I can get the actual make and code for the paint, will have to do that anyway.

I will go over tomorrow, see how far they got since these last pics.

HWYSTR455 07-08-2016 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did the color sanding and cut on the hood, about to polish it in this pic. Color sanding of the rest of the body is in progress.

I asked, and it is a basecoat/clearcoat type paint, single stage basecoat I think he said. I will get all that info for sure, I keep records like that, in the event it would need repairs. Hopefully never!

72projectbird 07-10-2016 11:34 AM

It looks really really good!

I was just curious because I'm in the planning stages of painting my truck. I was toying with the idea of doing a SS base, then clearing over it.

HWYSTR455 07-13-2016 11:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Body guy sent me a teaser shot, all the compounding on the body is done, getting ready to polish it out. Woo-hoo! They even pushed it outside to get some natural light on it, how nice is that!?!

I will go up Friday and take some more shots...

EDIT: He shot me another while I was creating this entry!

JSPONT 07-13-2016 02:39 PM

:thumbup::thumbup:

Looks nice, love the color!

70455HOVert 07-13-2016 03:37 PM

Whooooaaaa Momma!

Now you just need to spray the black insets on those Bandits dark charcoal and swap some center caps on!

HWYSTR455 07-14-2016 07:35 AM

I thought about spraying the wheels, and I have the kit for the center caps. I'm just going to leave the wheels the way they are, not sure if I'm going to do the center caps either.

If I did the center caps, it's still a toss up if I do black or red ones. Guess I will have to see after the stripes are on it.

70455HOVert 07-14-2016 11:26 AM

I much preferred the look with the PMD centercaps. My pic above shows it with the red ones. What color stripes are you putting on it? The pink ones?

HWYSTR455 07-14-2016 11:41 AM

Yeah, pink orange, and blue I think it the combo, should pop. I can go either way on the caps, black or red, and do have the install kit.

Those stay centered? Would be a bummer if they were offset and did like an elliptical thing in the middle of the wheel, might hypnotize someone if they look at them going down the road.

HWYSTR455 07-18-2016 01:30 PM

So was at the shop Friday, and they recommended that the paint out gas some before applying the stripes. I'm fine with that, especially if I scratch it while I'm assembling, will be easier to repair.

So they are installing the hood, trunk lid, endura, and a few other items, this week, and are planning to send it home with me on Friday. That would make me pretty darn happy!

Time to start getting it trimmed out, and get to the interior. Think I might take a week off, get a good start on some of that stuff.

Now if my billet crank would only sell! This would be a good time for some additional cash!

70455HOVert 07-19-2016 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 (Post 5602203)
Yeah, pink orange, and blue I think it the combo, should pop. I can go either way on the caps, black or red, and do have the install kit.

Those stay centered? Would be a bummer if they were offset and did like an elliptical thing in the middle of the wheel, might hypnotize someone if they look at them going down the road.

yes, they stay centered.

HWYSTR455 07-19-2016 07:34 AM

Well, guess the question now is, black or red center caps?

HWYSTR455 07-19-2016 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Buddy of mine was up at the shop yesterday, snapped a shot of the endura being mounted. Crappy pic, but still captured some of the color...

I will be up there Friday, it should be very close to being 'released' by then....

70455HOVert 07-20-2016 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 (Post 5604151)
Well, guess the question now is, black or red center caps?

You could always go by the build date of the car...but my gut tells me black...with the pink stripes I think the red caps will clash.