View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Alright, so I'm confused here.

I disconnected the sending unit in the trunk and measured the resistance. I put the multimeter between the connection on the harness and the connection to the sending unit and got reading of 115. Seems high considering the 90 is supposed to be full, but I'm pretty sure this thing is filled pretty close to the brim right now. I also cleaned the sending unit ground to the body. It was already pretty clean but better safe than sorry.

Next I measured the resistance between the poles on the gauge with the key off. It's 44.5 which seems perfect considering a 0-90 scale.

However, when I turn the key on the resistance at the gauge goes negative and keeps building. It went to 150 before I shut it off which explains why the gauge is burying itself below E. Note that it did this without the sending unit wire attached.

Electrical debugging has never been my strong suit. Did I measure things correctly? What does it mean that the resistance for the gauge builds like that? Is there a short somewhere? Why isn't it affecting anything else?

Everything else on the gauges works as they're supposed to - turn signals, gen light, high beam indicator, etc. Pete also said the lights look great so I'm not sure what's up with the gas gauge.

I also added an extra ground wire from a screw attaching the gauge pod to the dash housing to the metal dash to ensure I had a good ground.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)