View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 10:59 PM

Thanks Ben!

GRD777 If the question was how was the paint stripped then the answer is careful sanding for that particular job. I wanted to square up the top edge to make it crisper (but not square if that makes sense). You'll note that there's a very thin line of paint that hasn't been removed yet in the pic above. Before primer that edge was rounded slightly with finer sandpaper (because paint doesn't like sharp edges). IIRC most of the paint was removed with 80 grit on a DA till thin and then 180 by hand to remove the paint to bare plastic before priming/blocking.. I knew the car the parts came off of was painted around 1990 and the parts weren't fully stripped at that time so I didn't want problems occurring due to any of the older paints so they were all stripped.

I've also sandblasted these types of parts and every job is different depending on condition of the parts themselves, previous repairs, previous paint etc. as well as timeline & budget.

Here's a link to a thread on paint work done to the group of parts that end cap was included with. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=800522

I do quite a bit of work like this. I'm currently finishing up a job replacing the trunk pan, torque boxes, frame rails etc. on a 67 Camaro RS SS convertible and stripping & prepping a 70-72 Firebird Enduro bumper.