Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2014, 11:46 PM

Default Plug coolant bypass and drill hole in thermostat

Hey Guys,

I have tapped and plugged the small "coolant bypass" hole between the intake and the timing cover. I then experimented with 3 different size restrictors in place of a thermostat. Since I blocked the coolant bypass I cannot run a thermostat because the coolant has to go somewhere until the thermostat opens.

Anyway, with all 3 restrictors my water temp never gets above 150 degrees. So tomorrow I want to experiment with drilling a small hole in a working 180 degree thermostat. The idea is that the hole will allow some coolant to flow through until the thermostat opens.

-------
Well I tried drilling 3 x 1/4 inch holes in the thermostat and the engine still would not get up to temp, even with a 180 thermostat and only 3 little holes. I have 2 temp gauges installed, factory and aftermarket. So I know the gauges are right.

Question. If I drill only 1 small 1/8 inch could this present a problem. I am concerned that if the thermostat is not open and the car is under load (5000 rpm) then to much pressure will build in the cooling system and "pop" something. The thermostat will not always be open and the engine could be at 170 degrees, if this happens will the high rpm and water pump cause the system to bust something? to much pressure? Is an 1/8 inch hole to small?

John