Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2024, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Couple of little items for you. The main bearings would be more correctly referred to as -.010 undersize because the crankshaft is now smaller. They have a date of November, 1984 on them. 11-84. The Rod bearings are DAB brand. Detroit Automotive Bearing. Used to be pretty popular. Could not see a date on them or an undersize. The block has been line honed. Most likely, the original bearings may have spun in the block making that necessary. You can tell by the cross hatch in the bores. The rods look to have stock bolts and may or may not have been rebuilt. Most people would not re-use them. For a budget build I personally have no issue using them again with new hardware properly rebuilt. I have personally never had a rod failure with a Pontiac engine where the rod was the cause. Cast rods, new hardware, sized correctly, I would respect a 5500 RPM red line. 5800 RPM's, your in the danger zone on a 428 IMO. Overall, engine looks pretty darn good core.
Really good information.