WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 03-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being a 64-67 lover and a purist, AND a former sales manager at a Pontiac GMC store, I had to stop in a check out the new GTO. I was involved in all the hype and introduction crap just before my retirement.

Here goes. I like the front end and the overall size. The fit and finish of the car was nice. The sides & wheels of the car were, well bland. And the rear was just plain and undistinguisable from anything else on the road!

I am 6'4" and 290 lbs. I had a little trouble getting it the car, but only because of braces on my feet. Once in the car I was very comfortable and seemed to have plenty of room. I was very impressed with the interior of the car. Very, very nice. We will see how it holds up.

It was the only one at the dealership, In the showroom and I could not test drive it, so I have no impression of the performance. I'm sure I would have been impressed.

Overall impression: Loved the interior, Would have definitely have to have upgraded the wheels. Could it use scoops on the hood; probably. Would seperated duals help the rear; anything would help the rear, it needs a major overhaul on the rear!

My main initial impression is that it is about $4 grand overpriced. If this car, in coupe form was list at $29,500 with a typical dealer discount, this would compete with the Mustang and Pontiac could not keep them in the showroom.

Just my opinion.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being a 64-67 lover and a purist, AND a former sales manager at a Pontiac GMC store, I had to stop in a check out the new GTO. I was involved in all the hype and introduction crap just before my retirement.

Here goes. I like the front end and the overall size. The fit and finish of the car was nice. The sides & wheels of the car were, well bland. And the rear was just plain and undistinguisable from anything else on the road!

I am 6'4" and 290 lbs. I had a little trouble getting it the car, but only because of braces on my feet. Once in the car I was very comfortable and seemed to have plenty of room. I was very impressed with the interior of the car. Very, very nice. We will see how it holds up.

It was the only one at the dealership, In the showroom and I could not test drive it, so I have no impression of the performance. I'm sure I would have been impressed.

Overall impression: Loved the interior, Would have definitely have to have upgraded the wheels. Could it use scoops on the hood; probably. Would seperated duals help the rear; anything would help the rear, it needs a major overhaul on the rear!

My main initial impression is that it is about $4 grand overpriced. If this car, in coupe form was list at $29,500 with a typical dealer discount, this would compete with the Mustang and Pontiac could not keep them in the showroom.

Just my opinion.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very good review.

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 03-12-2004, 05:55 PM

Well said. Those are my thoughts about the car.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just saw one for the first time in person tonight. I couldn't have said it any better myself. The interior was very cool. The outside was OK and what you said about the backend hit the nail on the head.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Recently went to an auto show and they had a new red GTO on display. Unfortunately, they had it parked tail-to-tail against a new gunmetal gray Nissan 350Z. The Nissan made the GTO look pathetic. Granted the GTO is a 4 seater and the Z is a 2 seater, but for a personal car, I would walk past the GTO for a Z every time. This is especially so with the big savings in price against a GTO. And, who are we kidding on the GTO having real rear seat passenger room? I guess I remember too much of the days when you would load up the trunk of an old GTO with some slicks, a cooler and tool box and take yourself and four full sized buddies to the dragstrip.

Is it a Cavalier?
Is it a Toyota Corolla?
Nope, just a GTO!
Old 03-16-2004, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
Recently went to an auto show and they had a new red GTO on display. Unfortunately, they had it parked tail-to-tail against a new gunmetal gray Nissan 350Z. The Nissan made the GTO look pathetic. Granted the GTO is a 4 seater and the Z is a 2 seater, but for a personal car, I would walk past the GTO for a Z every time. This is especially so with the big savings in price against a GTO. And, who are we kidding on the GTO having real rear seat passenger room? I guess I remember too much of the days when you would load up the trunk of an old GTO with some slicks, a cooler and tool box and take yourself and four full sized buddies to the dragstrip.

Is it a Cavalier?
Is it a Toyota Corolla?
Nope, just a GTO! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny I test drove a Nissan 350Z Touring model, Nice car, but quality was not what I expected, no back seat, no trunk and at 33K I didn't think it was worth it. Had power, but certainly not like an LS1, and the ride was way to rough. Nice car, great looks.

The new 2004 GTO has plenty of back seat room. Did you sit in it? probably not. No one, I mean no one has any problems with the headroom and leg room in the back seat. My buddy who is six two, had no issue with headroom.

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 03-16-2004, 01:04 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
Is it a Cavalier?
Is it a Toyota Corolla?

So you are saying that you cannot tell the difference between cars?!!?? I can easily tell the difference between a cavalier, corolla, and the new GTO. In fact they are not even close.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to Geronimo675 Send a message via Yahoo to Geronimo675

I think the 350Z is ugly. But that's just my opinion.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:14 PM

Is it a Cavalier?
Is it a Toyota Corolla?

You can walk past a GTO for the Z everytime but on the roadway the GTO will pass the Z everytime. At least performance wise.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:58 PM

I work at a Pontiac dealership in Maine.The 04 GTO finally arrived.The general consensus is that Pontiac missed the mark.The interior is very nice.The exterior sucks.The Gto looks like an old Peugoet 405.We had it in a line with our other Pontiacs,and it blended way too easy.GTO'S should lead,not follow.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the exterior is clean and sleek. Sleeper. I like that, but that is just my opinion. Just as yours is your opinion.

After having the car now for over 2 weeks it seems to me the one's that really don't like it are the "diehard" old school Pontiac guys. Everyone that has seen the car, including strangers that walk up to me as I'm gasing up, comment on how sharp the car is.

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 03-17-2004, 07:35 PM

The exterior looks like a Chevy cavalier on steroids!!I think that Pontiac has done an excellent job on the interior and drivetrain,but the exterior is lame!
Old 03-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ah yeah..Ok.....

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 03-18-2004, 06:02 PM

I was picking up my '95 Grand Am after a tune up and asked the guys the same question I'd been asking for months, "Do you have the new GTO yet?" This time they said, "Yes" and I rushed out to see it.

I walked right past it on my first pass. It blended in with the Grand Prix's and Grand Am's. I went back inside and said, "I didn't see it." and they sent me back out. Then I found it and bought it.

Like Nickv, I have had nothing but positive feedback. Everyone to whom I have shown the car likes it, including my gear head friends. And as I said before, I like the "sleeper" quality the understated exterior gives the new Goat.

But I want new wheels. How do I upload images of the types I am looking at? I would like to get everyone's opinions.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been looking at the new GTO to replace my 95 Bonneville. I have a little different impression and objectives of others though.

I saw and sat in one at an auto show and have read everything I can find on the car. I think it does looks similar to the Grand Prix and Grand Am but that's OK because I like those cars. The GP is my second choice right now anyway. Some hood scoops and split exhausts would accent the looks nicely. A slight retro look would have been nice for this baby boomer but I understand Pontiacs corporate direction.

I want an automatic but the thought of giving the goverment a $1,000 angers me no end. Hopefully a slight gas milage improvement will get it under the "guzzler" limit in the future. (Political statements withheld to avoid censure.)

I want an American car. There are so many complaints of job outsourcing but we too freely plop down $30-40K on a foreign built car. I suppose I'll try to keep my '95 working until 2007, hoping the rumors of domestic production are true.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yorkie:
I work at a Pontiac dealership in Maine.The 04 GTO finally arrived.The general consensus is that Pontiac missed the mark.The interior is very nice.The exterior sucks.The Gto looks like an old Peugoet 405.We had it in a line with our other Pontiacs,and it blended way too easy.GTO'S should lead,not follow. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just realized you have only posted twice. Hmmm. I consider you a Troll. Probably a Ford salesman.

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 03-25-2004, 06:39 PM

I may be a "troll" with only three posts but,The GTO that we have is parked just beside our main entrance.It does not turn heads as they are coming in.I don't think Pontiac had "sleeper" in mind when they thought this car up.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Nick, I think he's my cousin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 03-26-2004, 03:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yorkie:
I may be a "troll" with only three posts but,The GTO that we have is parked just beside our main entrance.It does not turn heads as they are coming in.I don't think Pontiac had "sleeper" in mind when they thought this car up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Color and tranny of it? Stick or Auto? Sell at invoice if nobody is interested in it? Let me know.