THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:25 AM

Talking Happy Pontiac Fiero Day.

Today is officially "Fiero Day".
The 26th anniversary to be exact.

On September 13th 1983 it was entered into the U.S. Congressional record as Fiero Day by U.S. Congressman Bob Carr of Michigan.
Pontiac provided a few Fiero's for other Congressmen to test drive in front of Capitol Hill.
The reasons for Fiero Day was to promote:
1. New technology being used to make Fiero's and show the U.S auto industry was alive and aggressive.
2. Recognize union and management at Pontiac Motor Division working in a new system to produce competitive products.
3. A salute to the people of the city of Pontiac Michigan for their contributions and sacrafices.
4. To show off the Pontiac Fiero in an effort to spark renewed intrest in american-made automobile's. (and help sell the Fiero. Guess it worked as PMD sold over 100K 1984 Fiero's!)

It was also the first time in 50+ years Pontiac Motor Division designed a production vehicle from the ground up and powered it with a Pontiac engine.

So enjoy your Fiero today.

Now ZZ4 Powered!
Old 09-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

And then the "Vette people got their "knickers in-a-knot"and the Fiero was gone.Typical GM.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post
And then the "Vette people got their "knickers in-a-knot"and the Fiero was gone.Typical GM.
Actually the "Vette people" were upset since May of 1982.
The reason is Chevy did not make a Corvette in 1983 because they were re-designing it all new for 1984 and they planned on promoting the new design at the 1984 Indy 500. Problem was Pontiac jumped in early and got approved to use the 1984 Fiero as the official 1984 Indy 500 Pace Car.

Now ZZ4 Powered!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Senior Chief

Speaking of Fiero's....On 290 north of Houston there is a red Fiero on a trailer with a outboard motor on the back of it. Anybody else seen this one? Wish I had a camera with me..

I want my driveway to look like I'm stuck in the 70's!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMac View Post
Speaking of Fiero's....On 290 north of Houston there is a red Fiero on a trailer with a outboard motor on the back of it. Anybody else seen this one? Wish I had a camera with me..
Did it look like this?:

It was up on Ebay not long ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Repli...=p4506.c0.m245

Now ZZ4 Powered!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreif View Post
The reason is Chevy did not make a Corvette in 1983 because they were re-designing it all new for 1984 and they planned on promoting the new design at the 1984 Indy 500. Problem was Pontiac jumped in early and got approved to use the 1984 Fiero as the official 1984 Indy 500 Pace Car.
I wonder why Chevrolet didn't get their act together for the '85 Indy 500 either. Maybe they realized they better get all the bugs worked out. I have heard some stories from people who owned '84 Corvettes and had lots of problems.

Pretty amazing that the Iron Duke got to pace the 500 two years in a row.

Seeking recovery of my stolen 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type. Primary summer driver & Road Trip car.
Garnet Red with 2007 PENDOT inspection stickers on windshield. Had minor damage to left rear quarter & bumper. Last three of VIN: 301
Could be being driven with altered VIN.
Bodywork on left rear quarter (near the tail light) would be a tip-off.
Last seen by a patrol officer doing a routine plate check in Gary, Indiana, August 31, 2009
(The thieves were driving, but my plate was clean.)
Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 PM

[QUOTE It was up on Ebay not long ago.[/QUOTE]

Thats funny, kinda cool even, gotta be the same boat (Tx. plates).

I'm in Houston and just sold my family boat (Crownline) to look for a go fast boat for next summer, how fast are those Fiero's are on the water?????

Old 09-16-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post

Pretty amazing that the Iron Duke got to pace the 500 two years in a row.
Actually the 1985 Olds Calais used a 3.0L V-6.
The Fiero used a race engine based off the 2.5 Iron Duke called the Super Dudty 4. (SD4)
Which was used in the Fiero IMSA racing cars and is still used today in ARCA racing.

Now ZZ4 Powered!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreif View Post
Actually the 1985 Olds Calais used a 3.0L V-6.
That's what I get for assuming.
Me and a buddy took a brand new Calais 500 on a test drive in April or May 1985. We didn't have any money. Just taking advantage of an aggressive salesman. I remember being dismayed that it only had a 2.5 in it. The red/silver interiors in those were sharp though.

Seeking recovery of my stolen 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type. Primary summer driver & Road Trip car.
Garnet Red with 2007 PENDOT inspection stickers on windshield. Had minor damage to left rear quarter & bumper. Last three of VIN: 301
Could be being driven with altered VIN.
Bodywork on left rear quarter (near the tail light) would be a tip-off.
Last seen by a patrol officer doing a routine plate check in Gary, Indiana, August 31, 2009
(The thieves were driving, but my plate was clean.)