Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 PM

Default Horn Relay Connection Directions Needed

All,

Need help understanding which wire get connected where on the horn relay. Once I understand this, I can then troubleshoot the problem.

btw, I just bought this car and it came this way,..so still feeling things out.

Pic one is how I found the relay. The relay has 4 prongs.

Can someone tell me (working Left to Right viewing the pic) what the prongs are suppose to be connected to?

On the left there is currently 1 2 spade female connector (green / brown wires) connected.
I found two additional wires near the firewall. 1 is a thick black wire with a red stripe and it is HOT.
The other is a thin black wire with a red stripe and its NOT HOT. It comes from the firewall harness.

Any help would be appreciated...thx

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horn Relay 005.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	200306  

Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dan, there's really one one way to plug them in if all the original connectors are on there. One's a two wire connector, then there's a single with a slot on it to go on the terminal with the bent out tang and the other is a regular single connector. (thats so you can't plug the singles onto the wrong terminal) The relay also serves as a key buzzer so one of the wires is usually disconnected by previous owners that didn't like the annoying wandering pitch buzz when they left their keys in the ignition.

I just looked at your pic again and I see an aftermarket relay on there next to it so maybe your harness was messed with some kind of bypass?

Old 03-17-2010, 04:14 PM

Thanks gto4evr,

Not sure about a bypass.

Am I correct in thinking the middle prong on the relay is for the power?

And the two wire connector on the left side (geen/black)? One to each horn?

And I assume the right prong is for the buzzer?

Thanks agian....

Old 03-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadmik View Post
Thanks gto4evr,

Not sure about a bypass.

Am I correct in thinking the middle prong on the relay is for the power?

And the two wire connector on the left side (geen/black)? One to each horn?

And I assume the right prong is for the buzzer?

Thanks agian....
The two wire connector sends the green wire to the horns (wired in series) and the brown wire back to the column for the horn buttons. The black/red wire that's hot is the power (that's hot all the time) should be the single connector in the middle of the relay and the black/pink wire with the slot on the end of it for the single connector all the way to the right is the wire back to the column for the key buzzer that doesn't need to be connected.

Later,
Dennis

Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 PM

Thanks so much...that's exactly what I needed.

What I have to do now is connect the horn button I bought as a temporary means to pass the state inspection.

Am I correct in thinking that what I need to do is run a lead from the "new" horn button to the prong on the relay that the brown wire is connected to? This will bypass the existing horn button in the steering wheel.

I'm just trying to get it to pass inspection...then I can work on getting the horn button in the steering wheel (Grant) to work properly.

Thanks again

Old 03-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dan, I got that backwards on the wires, it should be green back to the bulkhead connector and black to the horns (sorry, I traced the wire next to it that happened to be brown for the running light) and you said green and brown on that two wire connector but it should be green and black in there. What year harness is this? Both 68 and 69 wiring should be black to the horn. I just checked my wiring diagrams and it confirms black.

Anyways, the green wire runs back to the bulkhead connector and ends at the column switch that grounds to make contact so if you're just trying for temporary fix for inspection then you need to jump the green wire terminal to a momentary ground for the horns to light up.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 AM

Thanks again....and it was my bad...my wires are green and black. Bad lighting combined with tired eyes...

With your help I was able to connect 1 wire from the horn button to the prong where the green wire goes and then I conneced another wire from the horn button to ground and when I pushed the button....viola.... the horns fired.

This was just a test, so now I need to install this ulgy external horn button in the car and run the wires thru the firewall and I will be all set for inspection.

Your help is much appreciated...

Thanks...dan

Old 03-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem!