Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Love them HP 5245L's

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW
Old 09-23-2010, 05:07 AM

Default E Bay crap

I'm glad to see this discussion. I have emailed E Bay repeatedly complaining about these multiple pages of listing for the same parts. Never a reply or explanation. I hope you other contributors are correct that they are finally ending this practice.

Much as I dislike E-Bay and the many games they play to p*ss off the golden goose "US" it still remains my best source for parts despite the amount of good NOS becoming severly limited lately.

Brad Kline

Old 09-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy Take a look at THIS.....

If we need an example of how stupid this e-crappola is, take a look at THIS item....

I typed in 1965 Pontiac Bonneville, scroll down and you see this ad!!! Perhaps I need to THANK eBay as I would never have known this part is interchangeable with my 1965 Pontiac Bonneville

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEFT-...Q5fAccessories

But just HOW can you make these clowns see why their customers are becoming so ambivilent to what is being offered to us car guys

Ian

Last edited by Heybuck; 09-23-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:43 AM

You might also want try "1966 grandprix" (or other variations, but including the double quotes) instead of 1966 and grandprix as separate terms.

That cuts down the results dramatically as well. Although you probable still would miss a few that would be interesting but that's the best way I know.

Ie. search for ' 1966 pontiac ' and it will get you (just now) 12298 results

search for ' "1966 pontiac" ' and it will get you 1711 results.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
If we need an example of how stupid this e-crappola is, take a look at THIS item....

I typed in 1965 Pontiac Bonneville, scroll down and you see this ad!!! Perhaps I need to THANK eBay as I would never have known this part is interchangeable with my 1965 Pontiac Bonneville

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEFT-...Q5fAccessories

But just HOW can you make these clowns see why their customers are becoming so ambivilent to what is being offered to us car guys

Ian
I saw that too Heybuck, sent an email and told him if it fit my car he could have it but no response.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked to see if someone was cheating the search terms... unreal.

eBay made a decision a few years ago to try to compete with Amazon, who was cleaning their clocks. Their policies all became slanted to large sellers and wholesalers moving electronics and clothing (would you buy it from there? Hmmmm....) and basically shafting the little guys who made them big in the first place.

Google is getting the same way -- try searching something simple and see what happens, pages and pages of repeated junk and nothing that you can really use. It will take their stock from $400 to $4 if they don't get their she hit together, soon.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

I'm sure ya'll also remember a few years ago when you could type in your year and make and end up with 5 or 6 pages of real parts for your car. Now you get 51 pages of just car covers and other generic crap like that

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 09-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradkline View Post
I'm glad to see this discussion. I have emailed E Bay repeatedly complaining about these multiple pages of listing for the same parts. Never a reply or explanation. I hope you other contributors are correct that they are finally ending this practice.

Much as I dislike E-Bay and the many games they play to p*ss off the golden goose "US" it still remains my best source for parts despite the amount of good NOS becoming severly limited lately.

Brad Kline
Since eBay charges per ad, why would they want to limit their income by putting a stop to this practice.

May the torque be with you.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

It also drives away all the buyers so sellers keep relisting

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Norman View Post
Since eBay charges per ad, why would they want to limit their income by putting a stop to this practice.
I could be wrong, but I think when you have a "store" or are a certain type of seller your fee structure is different so you don't get charged listing fees etc. or you get a certain # for a certain price.

I still maintain that it is stupid for a seller to list 50 listings for the same item in a row like that b/c it is not going to attract any more buyers like playing the same 45 50 times a day on the radio would.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 09-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And one of the problems is that even if each seller only lists one of the same item, there are 50 sellers trying to sell that same crappy seat cover for the GTO/Grand Prix/Firebird/etc.. It's downright annoying.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also you can click the "Used parts" button and that really gets the list waaaay down.

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 09-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ra455 View Post
Also you can click the "Used parts" button and that really gets the list waaaay down.
True, but so much for searching for NOS stuff. Ya just can't win.