Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Default Tahoe missing VIN plate

I recently bought a 2008 Tahoe from a sheriff's auction. The VIN plate is off the vehicle. Is there any way to get a new VIN plate from GM? The 2 local dealers were no help. Is there any stamped locations with the VIN on the vehicle? Like the frame or body?

Old 04-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What does the title read? Is it for salvage only? In that case, you won't be able to register it anyway..................

1965 GTO Post Coupe, Burgundy w/Parchment, 467, Crower 60243, Rhoads V-Max, Ported 5C's, JB Roller Rockers, Original '66 Tripower, Dave's Small-body HEI, RA Exh Manifolds, 2.5" Exh X-pipe w/Super Turbo's and SS Splitters, Tremec TKO 600, 3.91 12-Bolt Posi w/bearing retainers, boxed frame, 4X Discs with hydro-boost, EPAS
Old 04-24-2014, 05:51 PM

talk to your DMV

original ca car
Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76LQ9TA View Post
I recently bought a 2008 Tahoe from a sheriff's auction. The VIN plate is off the vehicle. Is there any way to get a new VIN plate from GM? The 2 local dealers were no help. Is there any stamped locations with the VIN on the vehicle? Like the frame or body?
There should be paper tags with the vin on them on every body part - hood, doors, tailgate, etc..

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 PM

If you bought it from a Sheriff's Auction you should be able to file the paperwork from the auction with the state dmv to get a salvage title, after inspection. Or it maybe for parts only which would have been noted at the auction

Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 PM

I can get a clear title if the inspector can see a vin stamped in something metal. I showed him the RPO code sticker and the VIN off the pcm with my scanner. The issue is not having a VIN under the windshield.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The inspector or state police should have a book to show the locations of hidden VIN stamped in the vehicle, this is how they verify stolen cars with switched VINs on them.

GM only issues the original VIN tag, if yours is missing the state your in can re issue a new state tag with the original VIN on it depending on what state, or issue you a new VIN with a different number. What kind of paperwork did you get from the auction with the car?

Seems that the vehicle should have been declared it was missing a VIN tag before the auction.

Your DMV will be able to answer your questions as there are no uniform laws from state to state so there will be variances in how each state handles this situation.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-25-2014, 09:02 PM
Suspended

Here they used to rivet a new VIN inside the door jamb.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here we have a DOR (dept of revenue) tag....the state assigns a vin..some times it matches the orig vin..some times its a computer generated and they rivit it to the door jamb like the 67 cars had...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."