Old 02-22-2017, 08:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default rear seat speaker location

Searched this forum but did not find specifically what I was looking for. I installed a rear speaker(6X9 as I recall) in the package tray panel(the horizontal sheet metal panel behind the rear seat and beneath the rear glass) when I added AM/FM and reverb unit to my '65 2+2 during its restoration. I used the mesh covered cardboard package tray that has a series of holes punched in the cardboard that line up with the speaker in the package tray panel. The speaker grill in the center of the upper back seat is vacant, with no kind of block off plate or panel behind the grill mesh. The car was originally equipped with just and AM radio with a front speaker only. Did the factory always use this center grill in the upper seat back when a car was built with a rear speaker? Did it depend on what radio was installed? Did it depend on whether reverb was installed? Did it vary by model or assembly plant, or for some other reason? Did it depend on whether the rear seat speaker was a factory install or a dealer install? Was the center seat back grill only used on convertibles which had no package tray panel? Why is there a specific oval cut out in the package tray panel if the speaker always went into the center of the seat back? Why does the mesh package tray with the punched out holes exist if the rear speaker is always supposed to go in the center of the seat back? If I want to change from the package tray panel speaker to one for the center seat back(a round one I assume), what would be the best one to use? Can anybody post any pics of a factory installation of this upper seat back center speaker install in a hardtop? I'm confused.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb My $0.02... (from the '62 POV)

I will throw my hat into the ring, again, based on what I have seen...

Did the factory always use this center grill in the upper seat back when a car was built with a rear speaker?
No. Catalinas (for example) don't have this grill.

Did it depend on what radio was installed?
No. You could add a rear speaker to every radio, even a base AM.

Did it depend on whether reverb was installed?
Reverb requires TWO speakers but the rear speaker could be located behind the chrome grill (if equipped) or the package tray (with the perforated mesh)/

Did it vary by model or assembly plant, or for some other reason?
?

Did it depend on whether the rear seat speaker was a factory install or a dealer install?
I would think that the dealer would go the package tray route, especially if, as in the Catalina case, the rear seat has no grill.

Was the center seat back grill only used on convertibles which had no package tray panel?
No.

Why is there a specific oval cut out in the package tray panel if the speaker always went into the center of the seat back?
See above replies.

Why does the mesh package tray with the punched out holes exist if the rear speaker is always supposed to go in the center of the seat back?
See above replies.

If I want to change from the package tray panel speaker to one for the center seat back(a round one I assume), what would be the best one to use?
If you are using a factory radio, be sure its impedance is 8 to 10 ohms. The speaker frame should be round and 6" diameter. Here is a supplier, if Ames isn't: http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm (please tell them the RediRad guys sent you)

Can anybody post any pics of a factory installation of this upper seat back center speaker install in a hardtop?
I cannot.

ALSO! Be sure that the heavy cardboard insulator that lives between the back of the seat and steel has the perforations where the in-seat speaker will go. (speakers move air and without the holes it will perform poorly)

good luck, Terry!

Old 02-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Engine Ear, it sounds like you are saying that whenever the car has a rear seat back equipped with a speaker grill, that is where the rear speaker should be installed, not in the package tray panel. Am I interpreting what you posted correctly?

Old 02-23-2017, 02:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Matt seems to know what he's talking about here but I can attest that the center grill (above arm rest) on my 63GP did not have the rear speaker installed there. it was installed in the package tray under the mesh package tray panel.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt View Post
...are saying that whenever the car has a rear seat back equipped with a speaker grill, that is where the rear speaker should be installed, not in the package tray panel.
From my observations (remember that I am seeing this thru the lens of a '62 guy), factory-built rear-speaker-equipped GPs and Bonnevilles (in other words cars WITH the rear seat speaker grill) would have the speaker in the grille.

I claim that DEALER-installed rear-speakers would have been easier to add to the underside of the package tray than to remove the seat, add the speaker, etc.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up ...never say never...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho421 View Post
Matt seems to know what he's talking about here but I can attest that the center grill (above arm rest) on my 63GP did not have the rear speaker installed there. it was installed in the package tray under the mesh package tray panel.
Ah, interesting! This lends itself to my theory (S.W.A.G.) about dealer-vs.-production line installations.

Do you have PHS on your GP? If so, does it show the rear speaker on the build info?

Old 02-23-2017, 03:34 PM
Senior Chief

Here's some more answers to your question that I think might be correct:

Why is there a specific oval cut out in the package tray panel if the speaker always went into the center of the seat back?

The panel between the rear seat and rear window was the same on all cars, with or without radio and regardless the rear seat speaker option.
There's also a specific cut for the optional rear defroster

Why does the mesh package tray with the punched out holes exist if the rear speaker is always supposed to go in the center of the seat back?

The mesh package tray are the same for cars with or without radio and with or without rear seat speaker.
If you wanted the mesh (For example you didn't like the look of plain cardboard) you got the punched hole wether or not you ordered the radio.

I might be out and about with my answers but it seems logic

66 Bonneville 4-door Hardtop - Sold - But it has its own thread here

66 Bonneville Wagon - Sold

63 Grand Prix - Sold
Old 02-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Ah, interesting! This lends itself to my theory (S.W.A.G.) about dealer-vs.-production line installations.

Do you have PHS on your GP? If so, does it show the rear speaker on the build info?
Its on the original window sticker. Shown is a photocopy. Ill have to check my PHS documentation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170223_163437.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	447979  

Old 02-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Speaker went in the grill on convertibles. All other cars it was mounted to the package tray. (65 B bodies)

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW
Old 02-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question "Speaker - Rear Seat"

Quote:
Its on the original window sticker. Shown is a photocopy. Ill have to check my PHS documentation.
Interesting. An assembly line manual would be worth its weight in gold right now.

By "Speaker - Rear Seat", does that mean / denote that a second speaker has been installed somewhere in the general vicinity of the rear seat? (not necessarily behind the chrome grill - IN THE REAR SEAT)

In that case, I have to assume that the front/rear speaker control lever (if not Reverb) exists on your dashboard, right?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Interesting. An assembly line manual would be worth its weight in gold right now.

By "Speaker - Rear Seat", does that mean / denote that a second speaker has been installed somewhere in the general vicinity of the rear seat? (not necessarily behind the chrome grill - IN THE REAR SEAT)

In that case, I have to assume that the front/rear speaker control lever (if not Reverb) exists on your dashboard, right?
Yes. Front / rear switch above triple guage cluster is installed

Old 02-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I find this discovery & discussion fascinating.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED
Wink

Quote:
I find this discovery & discussion fascinating.
Matt I find your fascination with this topic fascinating!

Old 02-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROWHED View Post
Matt I find your fascination with this topic fascinating!
About spewed my favorite beverage on that comment. proud to be a member of this forum

Old 02-25-2017, 03:27 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
About spewed my favorite beverage on that comment. proud to be a member of this forum
LOL !!

1970 GTO 400 4spd
1970 Bonneville SW 455
1971 GP 400 4spd
1971 Grandville Conv 455
1972 Catalina Conv 455
1972 Grandville Conv 455
Old 02-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was thinking I should get a vanity license plate: 1962 OCD

...thanks for tolerating it, fellas.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

LASJayhawk, it still seems odd that Pontiac would install rear seats with a speaker grill in body styles other than convertibles then(like my 2+2 hardtop and the '63 GP mentioned) if they were never going to put a speaker there. This seems sort of counterintuitive and unlike what the bean counters would typically approve. Was there a specific baffle or block off plate used behind the speaker grill that had no speaker installed or did the cardboard divider behind the seat back serve this purpose?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt View Post
LASJayhawk, it still seems odd that Pontiac would install rear seats with a speaker grill in body styles other than convertibles then(like my 2+2 hardtop and the '63 GP mentioned) if they were never going to put a speaker there. This seems sort of counterintuitive and unlike what the bean counters would typically approve. Was there a specific baffle or block off plate used behind the speaker grill that had no speaker installed or did the cardboard divider behind the seat back serve this purpose?
Not that I'm aware of. And the book matches every car I've had with a rear seat speaker or reverb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker placement.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	448353  

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW
Old 02-26-2017, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, LAS!!

Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yep, I'd say that is the definitive answer.