Old 07-16-2016, 06:25 PM
Senior Chief

Default New car! 1966 Bonneville 4-door hardtop

I sold my 66 Bonneville wagon last saturday at Power Big Meet in Västerås, Sweden.
The new owner drove it 700 miles up north so I might not see it again, except maybe in pictures.

The other day I bought a new ride, a Darksider of course. It's a 1966 Bonneville 4-door hardtop.

Haven't driven the car yet, it's still in Syracuse, NY and I can't do nothing but just wait for it to take
the long trip across the Atlantic before it hits the shores of Sweden in around six to eight weeks.

I know it's a long shot but is there anyone here at the PY forum that knows anything about this car?
At the moment I can't provide with any more information than the license plate number.
Is it possible to search the NY DMV and get info about previous owners, VIN-code and other things just by using the license plate number?
We can do all of that in Sweden, for free, so I was wondering if you have any similar service in the US

66 Bonneville 4-door Hardtop - Sold - But it has its own thread here

66 Bonneville Wagon - Sold

63 Grand Prix - Sold

Last edited by 66 Wagon; 07-16-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Absolutely gorgeous !!

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great car!

Old 07-18-2016, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOVE IT! Great lines, smooth all over, plenty of power...What more can a man ask for in a mechanical mistress?

Do let me know if you want a RediRad for it...shipped to the New York address and thrown into the trunk before leaves the harbor!

Old 07-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
LOVE IT! Great lines, smooth all over, plenty of power...What more can a man ask for in a mechanical mistress?

Do let me know if you want a RediRad for it...shipped to the New York address and thrown into the trunk before leaves the harbor!
Thanks for the offer Matt but it's already loaded for transportation to Baltimore, where it will be shipped.

Those wire hubcaps will have to go. I don't like them. Until I can afford a set of eight lugs I'll try to get a set of spinner hubcaps.

By the way, is there some way to change my user name?

63 Grand Prix - Sold
Old 07-19-2016, 08:57 PM

Nice car. Good luck with it.

Getting DMV information from New York State is impossible. I purchased a 66 Corvette from upstate NY in 2000 and ran into a brick wall looking for previous owners. You may try the local POCI chapter to get information from a member who might know the car. Judging by the nice condition, it may be well known. You might also check the local AACA chapter. A previous owner may have been a member. Both have websites.

I sold and shipped a 65 GP to Sweden a few years back. I mailed the new owner the protect-plate and full ownership history. Surprisingly, the car was owned by a site member here in the early 2000's and I was able to contact him after I purchased the car.

Have fun it's that beautiful car.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Senior Chief

I just received a photo of the Protect-O-Plate. Anyone that can help me to decode it?
It's the lower portion of the plate I can't figure out. I can read that it's Reef Turquoise with Turquoise interior
but the other codes is a bit of a mystery to me.

63 Grand Prix - Sold

Last edited by 66 Wagon; 07-22-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:57 AM

Try your luck and send a letter to the address on the Protect o Plate.
I did when I bought Bonne back in 2010.
Couldn't believe my luck when I got an email back from the 74 year old original owner still living at the same address when he bought the car in '66.
Still in email contact with him often, he's now 80 and loves seeing pics of Bonne on runs and at shows.
Worth a shot.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2

I wrote to the address on my protect-o-plate back when I bought my '66 Grand Prix.

Got a nice letter back from the son of the original owner. The owner bought my car new in November 1965, owned it till 1996. The car was sold on his death. At the time his wife was alive and she in turn was a life time friend of the wife of the salesman who sold it new. He too had passed but I was staggered to also receive a letter from the salesman's wife saying how pleased everyone was to know the car was still in safe hands.

The only missing link that I can't find anything about is the 3 year period between 1996 and 1999 (when I bought it) although I know whoever owned it did a long trip across the top of the USA and then back to Oregon via Canada. I found a big wad of motel, petrol and food receipts still in the car.

Still got all that stuff in my files.

Good luck with your search

ian

Old 07-26-2016, 02:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn66 View Post
Try your luck and send a letter to the address on the Protect o Plate.

Worth a shot.
I google searched the name and address on the Protecto plate.
It turned up that the first owner, M.D Fesperman, passed away in 2009 and his wife a couple of years earlier.

Marselle Fesperman was 45 years old when he bought the car in January 1966. I don't know yet when he sold it.

The Fespermans married in 1941, propably before he went off to war. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps
during World War II in the Pacific on Guam as a machine gun and bombsight technician on B-29 bomber aircraft.

I have the name and address to Mr. Fespermans son, so I will sit down and write him a letter, since he has no known email.
And I might get some more information when I get the hands on the documents that will come with the car.

Mr. and Mrs Fesperman took good care of the car, I think. The interior looks really good. Can't wait to see the car in person...

63 Grand Prix - Sold
Old 07-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Senior Chief

Got in touch with the son of the cars first owner yesterday.
As he recalls, Mr Fesperman bought a demonstration vehicle, propably at some dollar discount, at Wallace Motor Company, the local Pontiac dealership in Salisbury, NC.

There are no options on it, except power brakes and steering. Mr Fesperman had an air condition added at the dealer. The right hand mirror and third brakelight are newer additions.

Here's an old photo of Mr Fesperman with the car. It looks blue but is in Reef Turquoise.

The car originally came with the standard deluxe wheel discs and Fesperman kept them on until he sold the car,
so the wire wheel discs that currently are on the car is an addition by some later owner. They will have to go, since I don't like them.

Mr Fesperman traded the car in for a brand new 1987 Bonneville Safari and that is so far I have come with my search for the history of my new ride.

63 Grand Prix - Sold
Old 08-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had to come back to this thread as I am really starting to appreciate the 4 doors. This one is beautiful.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Senior Chief

It's about time people start to appriciate 4-door Pontiacs and end the slaughter of them in order to get parts for coupes and convertibles.

63 Grand Prix - Sold
Old 08-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Wagon View Post
It's about time people start to appriciate 4-door Pontiacs and end the slaughter of them in order to get parts for coupes and convertibles.
Interesting you make this comment. I could not agree more with you.

And a good friend of mine here who owns an original 4 door 1962 Impala Sport Sedan is passionate about 4 doors (although it must be a pillarless sedan). His car was the cover feature car in an American Chevrolet Magazine about 6 months back. It all came about because of the rarity of perfect (Carl's car IS PERFECT), 4 door Chevrolets in the US. So many have been lost to use as parts cars for yet another 2 door Coupe or Convertible.

Of course another Interest in Carl's car is the fact that Chevrolet built 200 of these Impala's as export RHD cars for Australia and they used a RHD version of the 1961 Pontiac dash. The cars were built in the Tarrytown NJ factory which is apparently now long gone.

My own "retirement" project is my 1965 4 door hardtop Bonneville. One day.....

Old 08-27-2016, 03:26 AM
Senior Chief

Finally, 45 days after I found the car on eBay and an 800 mile voyage by truck and ship,
I could get behind the wheel and take it for it's first ride. It was a smooth quiet ride.

Now I need to wait for the DMV to register it and hand out the license plates.
After that it must pass some inspections before I can drive it legally on the road.

The car is in a very good condition, not a show winner but a really nice driver. The interior is really good.

The odometer says 86,881 miles and I believe it's correct. No way it has gone another 100k miles.
On the inside of the door there is a Conoco decal. I just had to take a photo of it.

At 83,729 miles the car got it's last documented oil change and lube job.
Look at the date, 3-28-87, the car has been driven 3,152 miles for the last thirty years

63 Grand Prix - Sold

Last edited by 66 Wagon; 08-27-2016 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:56 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Very cool darksider..I got one of them stickers on my car..
A set of 8 lugs would set it up real nice

John L.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Senior Chief

I noticed one odd detail about my car. There is an arrowhead emblem on the trunklid.
From what I've learned these arrowhead were only on Catalinas, Star Chiefs and 2+2's.
Not on Bonnevilles and Grand Prix's. Am I right or wrong?

63 Grand Prix - Sold
Old 08-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Wagon View Post
From what I've learned these arrowhead were only on Catalinas, Star Chiefs and 2+2's. Not on Bonnevilles and Grand Prix's.
Where is that being taught? (I would call that misinformation)

Old 08-30-2016, 12:58 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Where is that being taught? (I would call that misinformation)
By looking at other '66 Pontiacs around me and in brochures, this is the first Bonneville I've seen with an arrowhead on the decklid.
And Ames states that their repopped rear arrowheads are for Cat, Star Chief and 2+2 only. On the hood all of them has the arrowhead.

Maybe it's a later add on and not factory?

63 Grand Prix - Sold
Old 08-30-2016, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While I am neither a '66 guru nor do I recall NOT seeing the arrowhead on the deck lid, I would expect that all '66 DarkSiders had one.

But if GP and Bonne do NOT have them as standard equipment, another angle to consider: Since both Star Chief and Bonneville have the extended trunk area, perhaps a S/C deck lid was used to build this one due to lack of availability of a Bonneville one.

Hmmm...