EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 12-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default carb to efi swap

I am putting a real Pontiac mill in my 99 bird. I want to run efi on the Pontiac motor. for the time being I want to drop in a 462 455 with a 4l80e trans. is their a chance I could use oem gm 0411 ecu and mod a harness to work with the motor and control the trans?

Old 12-06-2017, 02:13 PM

It's certainly possible. There may be other tuner packages available to edit the 0411 PCM. But, I know HP Tuners has this capability. In general, you'd be able to tweak common calibrations to help get the engine running. You'd also be able to disable diagnostics and controls on any parts/sensors you don't have on the vehicle (cat converter, ignition system?).

The biggest issue, I think, will be the hardware/sensor modifications you'll need to make to the engine. The big ones I can think of off the top of my head will be the crank/cam wheel/sensors. I guess there might be a readily available aftermarket solution? Worth some searching to see if someone has solved this already. I'd imagine the choices will be finding a distributor that's been modified to generate the appropriate crank/cam signals OR having to bolt up external trigger wheels to the crank/cam?

From there, you'll need to figure out an appropriate throttle body with throttle position and idle control valves. I do think there are aftermarket solutions for TBs ready-to-go. I'm guessing you already have an efi-compatible intake manifold selected with appropriate fuel rails installed? New injectors that flow enough for the 462 vs. old 350? Also decide if you're going MAF or speed density. If MAF, you'll need to be certain the path from the MAF sensor to the engine doesn't have any places where air can leak.

I'm sure there will be other things that pop up along the way. These are just the first that come to mind that, at first glance, don't seem straightforward (i.e. just buy a piece and bolt it on) to solve.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're just doing the trans, you would be better off just buying a controller. By the time you get the required items ironed out, the time involved in fab etc, spending about $500 you can be done in a Saturday afternoon.

If you want to still consider doing it with a 0411, check this link out:

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...ans-controller

MegaSquirt also has a MiniSquirt that is just a trans controller, can look at that. That's about as inexpensive as it gets.

If you want to run EFI on the Pontiac engine, you have a couple options if you're going to do a trans too. But, in most cases, you get what you pay for. And I would strongly suggest choosing a known, aftermarket system, made for retrofitting.

Do your homework. Once you learn more about EFI, understand features, and OE ECUs better, you will see it's not as easy as just 'splicing' wires. By the time you get it all ironed out, in a lot of cases, it costs more than an aftermarket system in the first place.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Senior Chief

i plan to add boost in the near future so I I just seeing if I could some of the factory stuff in the car to use efi and that trans. if I am better off with a aftermarket controller for the efi and trans point me in the right direction this is not my strong point. I have messed around with a 0411 in my s10. any help will be great.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FAST offers transmission controllers that will interface directly with the EFI systems. The XFI Sportsman EFI system is boost compatible.

A good friend of mine has tuned a few thousand cars & trucks with HPTuners, and has done a few FAST XFI systems as well. He had no trouble with the FAST systems, and liked how they live-tune.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust
Old 12-07-2017, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, FAST XFI is very nice, and can use Edelbrock intakes for SEFI (port injection). It's a hammered out system, and hard to go wrong with it. They have proprietary software, and it's been out there for a while. (and it's great)

When you go blow through, I still say you're better off with SEFI, the throttle bodies are just not quite there yet. You can go up to about 12 or so psi, but beyond that, you should do SEFI.

The Holley stuff is a strong coming to the market, has excellent support, and you can get trans control in the same ECU. You can also get traction control, and a number of other features, like drive by wire and more. It has more features, where FAST you pay ala-cart.

Between the two, it's a personal preference, and they certainly are not entry level stuff, so there's an investment involved. That's where the homework pays off.

Make sure you compare features of trans controllers, they are not all the same. Compushift is still one of the best out there, but hold on to your wallet. Not as bad as the US Shift Control stuff (new) but not cheap. When you go boost, you will WANT total control over the trans.

Don't overlook BigStuff, they are very competitive in performance and features (cost as well). There are others, but would have to say for the US market, those are the top 3 to consider.

If you try to just use an entry system to start off with 'to get by', you have to fork lift the whole thing when you step up. So the cost factor is painful.

Yes, your car original came with EFI, and one would think it's easier to start off that way, but it's not true. If you step up to bigger cubes/more power, the 'support' systems, like the fuel system, still need to be upgraded as if you're starting from scratch.

Big power means you can't overlook the chassis/suspension either. Be prepared before, or you pay more after.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be