Old 05-17-2021, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Saw that car over the weekend. Not much left to work with. I wondered how they had the documentation without the vin. It's a shame - a Nightshade RAII stripper would be a cool car.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 05-17-2021, 01:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This one will likely be "born again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68pongto View Post
Very interesting car on eBay, it basically only has 1 option, AM radio. The other Being the Ram Air II Engine, which required the close ratio M21 and the 4.33 rear end. Too bad somebody stole the VIN and trim tag.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26516290426...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Semper Fi
Old 05-17-2021, 01:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA1John View Post
This one will likely be "born again"
Maybe, but that would be pretty tough to do since the seller posted the circumstances all over the internet. But you never know, I guess someone would have to try to make a VIN tag? Definitely born as a very cool low optioned car!

Old 05-17-2021, 01:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Saw that car over the weekend. Not much left to work with. I wondered how they had the documentation without the vin. It's a shame - a Nightshade RAII stripper would be a cool car.
The seller said the partial VIN was on the cowl, but it is a Pontiac plant car. I have only seen the partial VIN under the heater box in 68 on the Baltimore built cars.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:16 PM
Senior Chief

Some incorrect information with that ad. RA I and RA II used the same option code 347. The change from RA I to RA II was treated as a running change and used the same option code 347. It appears the hand written note on the billing card was to add an additional $101.65 to invoice cost due to the RA II 347 option. The date probably indicates when the change was made. The fact this billing card was very early in production there could have been updates to the cost for the RA II engine option.

Last edited by Mcronk; 05-17-2021 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Credit and Debit Memo's that get noted on these Billings are at Dealer Net price structures - to the Dealer.
Not at retail pricing structure - to the public.

The few other ultra-early documented Ram2 Birds/Goats had the same $101.65 CMD Memo's on them.
Mattison will usually include a hand written note on the cover page when a RamAir II or Special Paint car gets documented. I don't know for sure if he is still handling all PHS requests himself personally.

Always a good idea to get your own copy in these days and times when readying for a purchase.

I hope the car gets saved - and most likely it will eventually in the right hands at the right place.
No other Nightshade Deuce Car is known.
It would be a Killer

The parts list would be easy to compile.
One of EVERYTHING.

Quote:
I wondered how they had the documentation without the vin.
He has the Title , with the VIN on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to muddy the water, just reflecting on days gone by.
TheBoss had a VooDoo RamAir GTO from Baltimore on the cusp that was billed 2 Days AFTER this eBay Car.

VooDoo Ram1 Baltimore - May 8
NightShade Ram2 PMD - May 6 , with May 7 Memo

It was THAT CLOSE ! (Maxwell Smart)
I know its a heartbreaker if he views this saga.

The difference in order dates, build sequencing and plant difference play parts in the role.
And maybe even the VooDoo buyer didn't want the up-sale//up-charge to Ram2.
But it was THAT CLOSE !

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 05-18-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:13 PM
Senior Chief

BVZ thanks for the clarification. I knew it related to pricing/cost of the option but mistakenly used the word invoice.

My RA II is supposed to be Verdoro Green but was painted a 69 color Midnight Green (similar but darker than Verdoro) prior to my ownership. Nicely optioned with hidden headlights, power front disc brakes, console, vinyl top, Am radio, Rally II, remote mirror, power steering but no gauges or tach. Imagine driving a RA II with 4 speed and 4.33 gears with no tach. Probably why original block went missing years ago.

Mark

Old 05-18-2021, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No Doubt !
Your car is NICE and looks good in that color.

This Nightshade car was ordered/built solely for pure reckless torture.
And it got it in every form, left hanging by a thread

Old 05-18-2021, 01:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well that one is interesting. Must have been pulled from a junk yard.

What are you buying though? There are no parts to speak of nor a vin tag.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
VooDoo Ram1 Baltimore - May 8
NightShade Ram2 PMD - May 6 , with May 7 Memo
BVZ do you think this RA II on eBay could possibly be the first ever produced? It sure looks that way. I have data on other GTO's from the Pontiac plant and with the VIN ending in 294400, it would put its build week at 04E. My duece from Chris is 05C build week and I thought that was super early, I guess not now. I would think it would make sense that the Pontiac assembly plant would be the first of any of them to build something new since the engine plant was right there too. The Pontiac plant also built the most Pontiacs in 68.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It looks like Haydocy Pontiac was into racing back in the day, I wonder if they knew somebody at PMD and ordered that RA II GTO early on for racing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	o.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	566840

The Following User Says Thank You to 68pongto For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably any of the Dealers with Racing Programs could have gotten a head start on a Deuce Car, if they were aggressive in the pursuit. But we don't have any surviving examples to know about it for sure.

As far as general production purposes, this Nightshade Deuce probably is the first or one of the very first.

Appreciate you finding info/picture of a Haydocy racer !
Maybe more can be found
Never heard of them before or seen any other invoices from them.
Ohio killed a lot of cars - miracle the Nightshade Deuce wasn't crushed years and years ago.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Now, for the elephant in the room.. If the vin and data plates are missing is there a Tempest somewhere that is posing as the holy grail of 68 GTOs?

Old 05-19-2021, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 05-19-2021, 07:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Now, for the elephant in the room.. If the vin and data plates are missing is there a Tempest somewhere that is posing as the holy grail of 68 GTOs?
There is the rub and something that bugs me.

The seller shows a title. Is that a current transferable title? If so, then the tags are worthless to whomever took them. Then again, the person could have taken the tags, applied for a title thru one of those agencies and now there are two titles for the same car tags?

And just being that it appears to be from a junkyard, what even made someone spend the money for the PHS let alone the extra for the window sticker?

Anybody remember someone selling a rusty 69 TA body years ago without tags on eBay and they showed the hidden vin to legitimize the car yet someone had removed the tags to rebody another car so there were two "cars" running around with the same vin.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Probably any of the Dealers with Racing Programs could have gotten a head start on a Deuce Car, if they were aggressive in the pursuit. But we don't have any surviving examples to know about it for sure.

As far as general production purposes, this Nightshade Deuce probably is the first or one of the very first.

Appreciate you finding info/picture of a Haydocy racer !
Maybe more can be found
Never heard of them before or seen any other invoices from them.
Ohio killed a lot of cars - miracle the Nightshade Deuce wasn't crushed years and years ago.
Just in the last couple years several 67/68 ram air Firebirds have surfaced from Haydocy dealership

Old 05-19-2021, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Somebody needs to question this guy and find out where he got this car.
He looks "shady"

I wouldn't buy a vacuum cleaner from him , or an insurance policy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68 GTO I-Dream-of-Jeanie.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	566915  

Old 05-19-2021, 09:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians View Post
There is the rub and something that bugs me.

The seller shows a title. Is that a current transferable title? If so, then the tags are worthless to whomever took them. Then again, the person could have taken the tags, applied for a title thru one of those agencies and now there are two titles for the same car tags?

And just being that it appears to be from a junkyard, what even made someone spend the money for the PHS let alone the extra for the window sticker?

Anybody remember someone selling a rusty 69 TA body years ago without tags on eBay and they showed the hidden vin to legitimize the car yet someone had removed the tags to rebody another car so there were two "cars" running around with the same vin.
This is easily verified/investigated. If you are interested in buying/bidding on it but have concerns, give Bryan Shook a call. http://www.vintageautomotive.net/?ta...ey-brian-shook

1970 Buick Skylark Custom convertible(driver) Fire Red
1972 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Royal Blue
Old 05-19-2021, 10:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovenweb View Post
This is easily verified/investigated. If you are interested in buying/bidding on it but have concerns, give Bryan Shook a call. http://www.vintageautomotive.net/?ta...ey-brian-shook
Great advice wovenweb. Personally would not touch any car with a missing vin plate.

On a side note, that vin is registered in Ross county with the Ohio DMV so someone has a current title (maybe it is the person with the tags?). Yet the Ebay ad states Shelby, Ohio which is nowhere near Ross county.

And just for thought, is it possible this was a RA1 car and somebody screwed up on the additional money? Maybe was not suppose to happen yet. Seems odd that even by the 4th week of May, PMD was still putting the extra money note on the RAII billing cards. Would think someone would have straightened out the accounting by then
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vin 242378p294400.pdf (109.8 KB, 180 views)