Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-26-2023, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
I beg you now that it's running to send out a oil sample pronto!
You do not even have to pull the drain plug, just unscrew the filter some with the motor warm and collect that..

I hope you get a all's we'll report back and you enjoy the car fully this summer season
Steve I'm curious why one would do this?

Old 06-26-2023, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Steve I'm curious why one would do this?
SOAP sample. Detects trace amounts of material in oil.

Old 06-26-2023, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
SOAP sample. Detects trace amounts of material in oil.
Why would one do this on a new engine?

Old 06-26-2023, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From my experience there is always crap in the oil on a new engine. At on first oil change.

Old 06-26-2023, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
From my experience there is always crap in the oil on a new engine. At on first oil change.
Kinda why I'm asking..... Trying to learn

Old 06-26-2023, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well there should not be any Bearing material found in a tested sample but for the breakin coating if your Bearings have such.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-26-2023, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

DNA test..LOL

Old 06-26-2023, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Well there should not be any Bearing material found in a tested sample but for the breakin coating if your Bearings have such.
And if I spend the time to test the oil how will that be any different than me cutting filter open? Either I'm good or I'm screwed. Shipping oil off doesn't change that

Old 06-26-2023, 09:25 PM
Boost Engineer

Ford used to send samples of their Dyno Engines Oil to a company that ran the normal
inspection tests on the oil. Every 5 thousand miles (until the engine failed).

So a Large OEM thought the OIL Sample testing by a third Party was a smart move.

So the knowledge is there if you step up and pay for it.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sending it off to bet tested, I had to really think about this suggestion. Vs something that would actually show up cutting open the filter. Think I would actually cut open the filter.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Ford used to send samples of their Dyno Engines Oil to a company that ran the normal
inspection tests on the oil. Every 5 thousand miles (until the engine failed).

So a Large OEM thought the OIL Sample testing by a third Party was a smart move.

So the knowledge is there if you step up and pay for it.

Tom V.
Aren’t you talking about R&D Ford dose on experimental engine designs. Before its put into production. Or once it was put into production and was known to have failures. Or just planned obsolescence.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My point is this something that showed up after about 600 miles, I doubt will show up in initial oil test. Especially before any miles are put on it.

Last edited by Gach; 06-26-2023 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well look, to me this is where your at after the time and repeated money you have shelled out.

1) you run it and you have no further issues and all is well.

2) you cut a filter open and see how things look and hopefully you do not find a reason to have to pull the pan because there may be a concern even with the little run time that you have on it.

3) you cut the filter open, all looks well and you send out a oil sample so that you confirm that the internals are happy which lets you sleep well at night and don't have to say a pray every time you put your foot in it.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-27-2023, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually an interesting idea Steve. I've mentioned oil analysis in the past that I've used to determine a good oil and good oil change intervals but never thought to try on a new engine. Maybe after a good break in? I'd be curious.

Not surprised at the pushback though, for the amount of people on here always worried about what oil and filter to use it always seemed an oil analysis was foreign to them. Oh well.

4th time putting this engine together slow bird? Geeez, don't know what issues you've had but maybe 4th times a charm. Good luck with it.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 06-27-2023, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Actually an interesting idea Steve. I've mentioned oil analysis in the past that I've used to determine a good oil and good oil change intervals but never thought to try on a new engine. Maybe after a good break in? I'd be curious.

Not surprised at the pushback though, for the amount of people on here always worried about what oil and filter to use it always seemed an oil analysis was foreign to them. Oh well.

4th time putting this engine together slow bird? Geeez, don't know what issues you've had but maybe 4th times a charm. Good luck with it.
For the record I have done oil analysis in the past, but in this case I don't see the benefits.
Issue have all been thrust bearing related mostly.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Why would one do this on a new engine?
Because new engines fail. Read the title of this thread again. lol

The very first oil change, after break-in, may be skewed with materials. But oil spectrometric testing is used in aviation and industry to predict failures before they become catastrophic. They can detect minute traces of bearing material, etc. in the oil. By the time you see it with your eye, in the filter media, it's too late. It is an extreme measure for a hobbyist. But it is a very legitimate predictive maintenance practice.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectr...0oil%20samples.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
Because new engines fail. Read the title of this thread again. lol

The very first oil change, after break-in, may be skewed with materials. But oil spectrometric testing is used in aviation and industry to predict failures before they become catastrophic. They can detect minute traces of bearing material, etc. in the oil. By the time you see it with your eye, in the filter media, it's too late. It is an extreme measure for a hobbyist. But it is a very legitimate predictive maintenance practice.
I was questioning why one would find it important to sample oil from an engine with idle time only on it.... My simple question seemed to spark a lot of input, but none answering my question.

I recall some guy asking Smokey Yunick if it would be a good idea to leak down test a newly assembled engine..... I guess someone, somewhere seemed to think that was a good idea.

With the OP's issue keeping and eye on the thrust clearance would be simpler, more economical and more beneficial than sending in oil samples.... But I understand we are on the Internent where text book trumps reality.

Old 06-27-2023, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It got me thinking maybe a good idea after initial break in?

For example, I buy a case or more of break in oil. I typically run a new engine on our run stand, just to check for leaks, break in a cam if flat tappet. If all goes well, on a flat tappet I might change oil and refill with more break in oil, cut filter open etc.... then the engine is off to the dyno. Run it through it's paces on the dyno with break in oil. After a day of that I'll change the oil again, cut filter open.
I'll then refill again with break in oil and drive the car maybe 100-200 miles, drain oil again, cut filter open. At this point I'll put oil in that the engine will live with the rest of it's life.

I'm thinking maybe after a few hundred miles here, knowing this is going to be an extended oil change, it might be a good idea to grab a sample of the oil during this period just to see how things are going inside the engine. ??

I've never bothered before, but has me curious.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 06-27-2023, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
It got me thinking maybe a good idea after initial break in?

For example, I buy a case or more of break in oil. I typically run a new engine on our run stand, just to check for leaks, break in a cam if flat tappet. If all goes well, on a flat tappet I might change oil and refill with more break in oil, cut filter open etc.... then the engine is off to the dyno. Run it through it's paces on the dyno with break in oil. After a day of that I'll change the oil again, cut filter open.
I'll then refill again with break in oil and drive the car maybe 100-200 miles, drain oil again, cut filter open. At this point I'll put oil in that the engine will live with the rest of it's life.

I'm thinking maybe after a few hundred miles here, knowing this is going to be an extended oil change, it might be a good idea to grab a sample of the oil during this period just to see how things are going inside the engine. ??

I've never bothered before, but has me curious.
Maybe.....however my Ford Ranger has 320k miles on it and I've never had an analyses done. Same goes for my 270k mile Camry, and all my other cars. But maybe it would be a good idea.

Now my thirty three year old tractor is starting to use oil and the engine is a bit noisier than it should be. I'm pretty sure the engine could use a freshen up but I suppose it's a good candidate for an oil analysis.... So they could confirm my thoughts.