Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-09-2024, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll add this. We go to big meets and shows frequently. And travel long distances to many of them.
I used to always see 100's of cars throughout the year with those awful Eddy carbs on them.
Over the last few years I've seen the switch. Now every other car you see has some sort of EFI throttle body on it. They are literally everywhere. Different brands but no joke, every other car in line has one now.
Even at a big meet like good guys where we'll have 3000 cars coming and going all weekend, literally half of them you look at are throttle body efi. The rest are a mixed bag of multi port EFI or full blown modern engine swaps born with EFI. The amount with classic engines and carbs has dwindled to a very small percentage.
Now that's not a trend I'm thrilled about but gives you an idea the amount that's out there enjoying their rides.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
The software used in the sniper lineup is a Holley HP light system. It's still plenty powerful though. I really don't think you're going to be missing anything personally.

You asked about complaints from Cliff regarding the sniper line. I think some of the increase in complaints may be sheer volume related, but I don't necessarily subscribe to that as being the only reasons.

I have run several FiTech systems, mine being almost 10 years old at this point. So, I have my biases. Without the FiTech system, the TBI Sniper never gets made. Additionally, FiTech owns the patent for integrated ECU TBI systems, so the primary sniper line-up at minimum is likely paying a royalty fee back to FiTech. That margin hit has to be made up somewhere. I think the basic Sniper line as a result was whipped together as quickly as possible so that the FiTech systems didn't completely decimate Holley's EFI business which had entry level stuff at close to 3x the price of the FiTech.

I believe their product and support has gotten better, but my personal opinion is that Sniper was rushed to market and it's quality as a result of that is/was effected. That is of course my own speculation though. Take it with a grain of salt.

All that said, these things are fairly simple and they all use OEM sensors etc. The biggest issues I see of any of these units, regardless of brand is that it's typically a poor install, or a car that has other issues going on that causes poor performance from these entry level EFI systems.

There are a couple things I tell everyone that is looking that you must do to get the best performance possible.

1. Don't skimp on the fuel system. Stay away from frame mount pumps and under hood reservoir systems. They are all junk. Get a new tank with an in-tank pump and run a proper feed and return line with the system.
2. The car must have it's electrical sorted. The EFI system relies heavily on constant and steady power while also needing to be insulated from electrical interference. If you have a rats nest of wiring in the car, items that don't or barely work, fix that before you attempt to install EFI of any kind.
3. Any vacuum or exhaust leaks need to be cured if present. Vacuum or Exhaust leaks fool the onboard sensors of the units into thinking things are happening that aren't. As a result you either get lean or rich run characteristics that you'll never be able to tune out.

Once you've verified all of the items above, the last thing to make sure you get correct is the install itself. This needs to be clean and methodical without any shortcuts. The biggest one I see is people thinking that clamp on oxygen sensor is good enough for anything other than the trip across town to the exhaust shop to have it welded up. If you cut corners on the install, you'll have a poor experience.

Regardless of the brand you choose, the above accounts for a solid 90% of all problems. Yes some make it out of the factory with issues, but it's not as many as you'd think.

For me personally, I still think the Sniper Quadrajet is what I'd put on your car the way you want to run it. Unless you decide to use a square bore manifold in which case I'd probably recommend the FiTech Go EFI 4.
This is great stuff, Jason and much appreciated! Regarding existing issues that you mention that must be sorted out first, I think that I am pretty good shape there as this is a quasi frame-on resto. I have already replaced the fuel tank with a Tanks and while the wiring was not a complete disaster, it was suspicious enough that I have replaced the wiring harnesses with Lectric Limited looms. Once I put the engine back in, I will be going back with new vacuum hoses. I think I'll be in good shape as far as mitigating any existing issues that may interfere with the EFI operating properly. Thanks again for all the help here and detailed explanation of your recommendations. Very much appreciated! Lee

Old 05-10-2024, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No need for a dual sync with a Sniper, the hyperspark is all you need. The dual sync dizzies are kind of problematic, avoid them unless absolutely necessary.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-10-2024, 10:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As someone with all this, be patient and prepared for a bill over $10k when you're done if you have it installed and tuned.

Holley Hp, 1000cfm, 120lb Inj (83lb are plenty even for flexfuel) T2 with 1" spacer, Ricks Gas Tank alone is $2200 for EFI pump, I made the first bolt on Pontiac 12-1 crank trigger kit with Hall Effect (coming soon) for us, no dual sync needed, tuner is etc etc.

Yes in the end its better but not cheaper and it's only easier after the above is installed and tuned. LOL

I've heard nothing but reliability issues with the Sniper, wouldn't touch it personally, HP is minimum unless you want trans control.

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Int & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aero Front & Wilwood Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, 12:1 Box, UMI Control Arms & Viking Berz Fr + Rear CO Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump
Old 05-10-2024, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Someone needs to come out with a shallow crank pulley for crank trigger wheel setups. Having to shim all the pulleys is a game killer for many if not most.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 05-10-2024, 11:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm doing all the spacers first and literally getting this all done as we speak, if the pricing is better to just make the pulley I'll do that and it's faster to bolt on really. So far the 4.5" water pump puts that pulley in line so its just the alt and PS for most of us.

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Int & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aero Front & Wilwood Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, 12:1 Box, UMI Control Arms & Viking Berz Fr + Rear CO Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump
The Following User Says Thank You to GOAT8U2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lot's of people have serpentine setups is why spacers complicate matters, that's my reason, and reasoning.