Old 07-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

that is flippin cool. in my first catalina i put a sunpro mini tach in the spot where the clock would be. my car i have now has a clock so i bought a tach and mounted it in the factory location.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 07-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I found it on ePay a few years ago. Since my Catalina is a 2D Sedan with a bench seat, the big console style vacuum gauge wouldn't work anywhere. This one is supposed to go in the same location as the clock. It works too. Not the smoothest action, but good enough.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPKind
How about this for a rare option? An In-dash vacuum gauge. Not even listed anywhere that I've found. This was standard in a '65 Custom Sport. It may have been available in non-consoled American '65's, but I've never seen any documents to support that theory.
I watched that item & was telling Mike about it. Very cool that you got it. I had never seen one before either. I thought about getting it but could not figure a way to mount on a '66. I wondered if it was a Canada only thing or if Chevy offered such a thing.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 07-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fairly sure that gauge was only in the Canadian Custom Sport models. It was not in the standard Parisienne model.

I've been told that all the Custom Sports also had the temp & oil pressure guages as well but have never been able to verify that as true or false

Old 07-04-2007, 10:43 AM

Neither of the 64 custom sports i've had have had temp or oil gauges....maybe in 65/66 but sure not in 64...

Old 07-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, in 65 and 66 they had the temp and oil in the actual speedometer cluster. The three pods were your fuel, clock, and volts. I wish the would have made those pods fuel, oil, and temp and left the volts up to the idiot lights. I really dont see a need for a clock but back then it was probably the thing to have.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hitman,

Both SW & I think Autometer make a 2 1/16" Vac gauge that you could put in in place of the clock. I have also found various others that size listed on E-Bay for really cheap. Many still in the Pkg. It is handy to have especially when tuning or troubleshooting. More exciting than a second hand no matter what.

The way '63-4 had it with the fuel and Amp in the speedo cluster then the temp & OP in the center was the best combo IMO. I just bought a bezel so I can have the clock, oil & temp or Vac, oil & temp in the center vent location. I'll send all that vent air out the lower part of the dash.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 07-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got all the pieces to have all the gauges possible. Oil and temp in the speedo cluster. Then Fuel, amps and vacuum in the tri-pod gauges. Add the factry tach on the left and it'll be free of all idiot lights. I agree with others, the tri-pod gauges should have been oil, temp, and amps. The fuel gauge could've been placed elsewhere...c'est la vie.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:42 PM

Trivia of the day:
The bulb for the "low fuel warning" light is not a 12V bulb but 6.3V, and not even NAPA has a listing for them.
These bulbs are common on pinball machines, and easy to find on the Internet.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmm. Very interesting. Could that also be the same bulb for the ashtray light as well? When I pulled mine they looked like all metal fuse with holes at the ends where the light shines out.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Hmmm. Very interesting. Could that also be the same bulb for the ashtray light as well? When I pulled mine they looked like all metal fuse with holes at the ends where the light shines out.
You pull that tube apart & bulb is inside. Crazy set-up.

That is something about the low-fuel bulb. Mine on the wagon has a very dim glow all the time.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Senior Chief

Yes, I got tired of the dumb-and-dim "low level light" and built my own circuit. It has the standard 12 volt bulb and is as bright as bright can be. Bought the parts at Newark electronics, also added a potentiometer so I can preset at what point the light comes on.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg
Yes, I got tired of the dumb-and-dim "low level light" and built my own circuit. It has the standard 12 volt bulb and is as bright as bright can be. Bought the parts at Newark electronics, also added a potentiometer so I can preset at what point the light comes on.
Very cool. I should be able to do that as well. Hmmmm. Good idea for adjustable too. The one on my GP comes on when I still have 1/8 tank or better.

When you look at the original unit & the way it is made it is not very confidence inspiring. I was actually surprised it worked. I doubt any of the electronics in my "new" cars will be working in 40 years.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 07-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Senior Chief

Yep! I actually ripped the guts out of the so called module and found a transistor and a few resistors. The current limmiting resistor (a little copper resistive bar) is actually built into the lamp socket to drop the voltage to 6.4 volts. The only thing I kept was the housing and trashed the rest. I built the components on a perf board and attached it directly to the module. Worked out just fine. Mine consists of a comparator, transistor, potentiometer and a few resistors.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:27 PM

Default '66 Big Pontiac Front Seat Heater

For those of you that have both good eye sight and a copy of the "Pontiac or Tempest 1966 Owner's Guide", look on page 10, left hand side of the page. Mounted just to the right of the optional tach and sitting under the dash in front of and slightly to the left of the left turn signal light is a "Front Seat Heater" switch. This option never made it into the "Accessories by Pontiac - 1966" brochure and I have never seen (or at least been able to find) it mentioned in the Parts catalog (could be hidden though). Nor have I ever seen this option on a 1966 Big Pontiac (and I have seen a loooooooot of them.....). I do recall having seen a reference to a bulletin than discussed this option but my guess is that it never made it into production. Maybe the Canadian Pontiacs got it? But at one point some editor must have been certain enough that it would be offered to the public that they included it in the Owner's Guide. I also note that the only mention of this option is on page 10 - it is not mentioned elsewhere althought most (well, many) other option are discussed in the Owner's Manual/

Would be interested in seeing a copy of the bulletin that mentions this option.

Mark

Old 07-18-2007, 12:31 AM

i like the tonnue cover for the 65 convert that has the pc to fold back for the driver... i have never seen a real one, but its in the little option book! my 63 cat has the speed minder/low fuel light combo...

1999 Chevy Silverado Ext Z71
1998 Ducati 916 SPS
1998 Honda ex300
1997 honda ex300
1997 Mustang Cobra
1997 Sea Doo Challenger 1800
1965 Bonne Coupe 421 3x2
1965 Bonne Conv
1964 Gp 4spd - parting
1963 Catalina Conv 3x2 4sp
1963 Gp 4spd
1963 Catalina post 4spd
1962 Bonne Conv 425a 3x2 4spd

i have an addiction and need help...
Old 07-18-2007, 09:14 AM

Default 66 Pontiac rear seat heater

Mark

There is a pic of that heater switch on page 2-2 of the air conditioning manual which shows a pic of the dash.
Interestingly enough, I saw an ad in Hemmings for an NOS one about 8 years ago. I called the guy and had to leave a message. He never called me back. I think he wanted $100.00 for it if my memory is correct.

Did it really ever exist or did that guy think it was that year. We will probably never know.

Marty

Old 07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you think it was electric resistance? Can you imagine something like that under all that horsehair/felt or that big foam block. The potential liability may have been too much for GM to actually install one.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 07-18-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead
Do you think it was electric resistance? Can you imagine something like that under all that horsehair/felt or that big foam block. The potential liability may have been too much for GM to actually install one.

that's what they were in the early 90's gm cars. i still remember the look on the owner's face when his demo was sitting in the shop running with that on and the seat caught fire! priceless. we put in 4-5 seat due to that happening.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH421
Mark

There is a pic of that heater switch on page 2-2 of the air conditioning manual which shows a pic of the dash.
Interestingly enough, I saw an ad in Hemmings for an NOS one about 8 years ago. I called the guy and had to leave a message. He never called me back. I think he wanted $100.00 for it if my memory is correct.

Did it really ever exist or did that guy think it was that year. We will probably never know.

Marty
Marty,

Is that the dash switch that is located at the far left next to the speaker switch in the picture in the AC Manual? My copy of the manual is not clear enough to see what it says on the switch. What does it say on the face of the switch?