Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-16-2024, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where are you located Mgarblik? I have never seen a satin black Napa Gold filter. Ours the last several years have always been gloss black. Before that they were always white. That one is clearly coming from a different supplier.

I'm curious now if the difference is the area of the country we are living, or because our Napa is privately owned....or???

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-16-2024, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am in Dayton, OH. Most of the parts come from Columbus , OH or Indianapolis. Sometimes, KY. Like you said, the Gold filters have been gloss black for probably 5 years . These new, satin black ones have a little, dry grit/grip to them. Might make them a little easier to get hand tight. Similar to the end of some Fram filters. My local NAPA store was an independent for over 30 years. About 2 years ago, all the local stores became "corporate" stores. Not much changed as a consumer. They sell more garage art and air fresheners now. Got a couple decent late model corporate looking delivery cars. Everything else about the same. The 3 main counter people have about 70 years of parts experience and are fantastic. They make ALL the difference and that's why I go there. Parts probably cost 5% more than Autozone, Oreily's, and Advanced Parts which are all staffed by complete idiots with a maximum of 6 month's experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Having cut open every filter I’ve done on this engine and using the Baldwin, Wix, and Purolator BOSS line the Purolator and Baldwin seem to be the best. More pleats, finer media, heavier.

Old 02-17-2024, 03:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Not true, at least since I've cut them apart in the last couple months, they have been "THE SAME" and haven't changed in the 30 something years I've been cutting them.

Now if that changes with the next batch I'll be cutting apart here shortly, I'll report back, but I don't suspect I'll see anything different.

Of course our Napa is privately owned and not part of the chain, so they carry just a little bit different stuff than a regular Napa. Not sure if that makes a difference on Wix/Napa Gold filters though. I would assume that's from similar suppliers.
Yeah it's true, here in Ohio and other parts of the US. As Mike has said, over 5 years. Here is the video that was made 2 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP8f...ipCityWrencher

Heres 2 Wix filters, #51348, one made in the US, one made in china.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HnVdf_rYzP0

Before you insinuate I'm a liar, do your homework......

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-17-2024, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Yeah it's true, here in Ohio and other parts of the US. As Mike has said, over 5 years. Here is the video that was made 2 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP8f...ipCityWrencher

Heres 2 Wix filters, #51348, one made in the US, one made in china.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HnVdf_rYzP0

Before you insinuate I'm a liar, do your homework......
Not insinuating anything, keep your panties on. Just blanket statements like that need more explanation, hence the reasons why others are seeing differences depending on locations. This isn't a simple one answer solves everything type of issue. I think that has become obvious now and worth explaining so this thread provides all the information possible and becomes more informative for everyone to read.

Old 02-17-2024, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
It's been posted here before that WIX no longer makes the majority of NAPA filters as they have in the past 50 years. WIX was bought out by Mann/Hummel, a Geman manufacturer, that sources almost all their filters globally.

Some of the You tube warriors, that dissect filters on their videos have shown that some of the new filters from H/M are not of the same quality, or construction, as the older versions were. Previously the same last 4 numbers of WIX and NAPA filters were identical inside, that has changed.

Formerly if you couldn't get a WIX part, the NAPA version was identical, no longer the case depending on where you are buying your Wix/Napa filters from, because there are apparently different suppliers depending on location.
As mentioned earlier, Wix and Baldwin are coming from different countries of origin so appearance and quality may differ from a given supplier
There, I fixed it for you

Old 02-17-2024, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A rhetorical question and one that might set aside any political opinion.

In general, if an oil filter has a strong burst-resistant steel canister, a strong filter element with supported pleats, end caps/seam that are sealed tight and the capture efficiency (particle size retention) that meets your criteria....

would it really matter if it was made overseas.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve C. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2024, 10:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sadly, I have only one hobby car. But, I have 28 oil filters. A combination of Wix and Baldwin. So at my age that's basically a lifetime supply. Probably more. LOL.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 02-17-2024, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
A rhetorical question and one that might set aside any political opinion.

In general, if an oil filter has a strong burst-resistant steel canister, a strong filter element with supported pleats, end caps/seam that are sealed tight and the capture efficiency (particle size retention) that meets your criteria....

would it really matter if it was made overseas.

That was exactly my point earlier when I said I don't care where it's coming from as long as it's quality. And with laws today that vary from state to state allowing companies to plaster "made in USA" on their products because they are doing some process here really waters down the "made in USA" statement.

There are very few businesses in this country anymore that do everything in house from start to finish, especially in the car industry.

Old 02-17-2024, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That was exactly my point earlier when I said I don't care where it's coming from as long as it's quality. And with laws today that vary from state to state allowing companies to plaster "made in USA" on their products because they are doing some process here really waters down the "made in USA" statement.

There are very few businesses in this country anymore that do everything in house from start to finish, especially in the car industry.
This. I've gotten plenty of things that were made in the U.S. that were junk, and plenty of things that were made overseas that were fantastic quality. It's case-by-case, and just depends on the item in question.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 02-17-2024, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t like Rock Auto. That’s how I figure.
Who cares, I got enough for years.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 02-17-2024, 04:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just got Baldwin filters from rock auto for Pontiac and my work van. Both say made in the USA.

Old 02-17-2024, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With all the good reviews I'll be cutting a baldwin open to compare. Sounds like an excellent filter.

Old 02-17-2024, 11:47 PM

Interesting, I've worked in a napa shop here in Washington for 30+ years now. I've never seen a totally shrink wrapped filter. I have seen a clear plastic cap just on the open end. Usually that means it's a Mann and not a Wix. I've never seen a filter yet with the red/purple gasket. I'm not the lube guy, but probably open 2+ filters a day too.

Old 02-18-2024, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just took a look in the parts room and I have one Baldwin B39 filter left. It's up for bidding to the highest bidder!......

I'm not much of a Rockauto fan but they have the best prices for Hasting/Baldwin filters that I've been able to find. Their shipping can be pretty high so it pays to buy a half dozen or so to keep the price each down some.

I'd add here that the last time I ordered Hastings filters (the same one just happens to fit all of our vehicles here) they were listed on Rockauto as part number LF-113. Balwin B1400 or 1401's showed up instead, but all were USA made and excellent quality.

Also interesting that when you cross reference the OEM filters for my Yamaha side-by-side, John Deere X740 (Yanmar diesel) and Yanmar diesel powered compact tractor the SAME filter also fits all of those. So now I only need to stock either a B-1400 or B-1401 for everything I own except the Honda 500 Rubicon. The only difference in the B-1400 and B-1401 is the height of the filter......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 02-18-2024, 11:39 AM

I stock cases of Wix Filters for all my different stuff.
All my 51258s are Made in USA.
These pics however, are from my last order for the Filter that fits my YJ Jeep Wrangler & Dodge Ram 2500:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	628841   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	628842   Click image for larger version

Name:	C.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	628843  

1965 GTO (Black) TRIPOWR
464CI TriPower 4-Speed

1965 GTO (Blue) 3X24SPD
464CI TriPower 4-Speed
The Following User Says Thank You to 3X24SPD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymad View Post
Interesting, I've worked in a napa shop here in Washington for 30+ years now. I've never seen a totally shrink wrapped filter. I have seen a clear plastic cap just on the open end. Usually that means it's a Mann and not a Wix. I've never seen a filter yet with the red/purple gasket. I'm not the lube guy, but probably open 2+ filters a day too.
They've been coming completely shrink wrapped here from Napa ever since Wix switched to the black filter a few years ago. And they don't come in a box.

My thinking is that since it's a Wix filter with the sticker changed for Napa (even the sticker appears very similar) I'm guessing that the filter is just taken out of the Wix box, box thrown away, Napa sticker installed and then the entire thing is shrink wrapped to keep it clean and it's put on the shelf. Keeps Napa from spending more money to make a Napa box lol.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Subaru and. A 16 Buick Lacrosse. The Buick Wix were made in the US and the Subaru’s were made in Mexico.

041 cam with Rhoads lifters 1.65 rockers
RPM rods
800 Cliffs Q Jet on Holley Street Dominator
ST-10 4 speed (3.42 first)
w 2.73 rear gear

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

469th TFS Korat Thailand 1968-69 F-4E Muzzle 2
Old 02-20-2024, 01:01 AM

Quote:
They've been coming completely shrink wrapped here from Napa ever since Wix switched to the black filter a few years ago. And they don't come in a box.

My thinking is that since it's a Wix filter with the sticker changed for Napa (even the sticker appears very similar) I'm guessing that the filter is just taken out of the Wix box, box thrown away, Napa sticker installed and then the entire thing is shrink wrapped to keep it clean and it's put on the shelf. Keeps Napa from spending more money to make a Napa box lol.

Huh, they're all boxed here. I wouldn't have expected such variation coming from one supplier.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I seem to be finding out in this thread. Different suppliers with different packaging, some say China, some say USA.

Ive never seen a china one out here while others report differently.