Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-26-2023, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The unit you have has features I don't like that contribute to the reason you post.
Metering blocks with high location IFR's, huge holes in throttles plate, it goes on.
You got another carb on tap?

Old 09-26-2023, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default carb

stepped out to pull a plug......fouled rich as it should be givin my issue. eye burner standing behind the car running. ugh. I don't like an out of tune engine, i'm fanatical on maintenance. have 550 miles on the car and moser says to change the diff lube, new tci trans to going to change it as well. its a beast when I put my foot in it though. but the idle and plug sure tells me its not right.

heres the plug.

no, I don't have another carb to swap on. this carb is practically brand new.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2023, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
stepped out to pull a plug......fouled rich as it should be givin my issue. eye burner standing behind the car running. ugh. I don't like an out of tune engine, i'm fanatical on maintenance. have 550 miles on the car and moser says to change the diff lube, new tci trans to going to change it as well. its a beast when I put my foot in it though. but the idle and plug sure tells me its not right.

heres the plug.

no, I don't have another carb to swap on. this carb is practically brand new.
That was how my plugs looked too and the burning eyes sure sound familiar.

Old 09-26-2023, 10:24 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker455 View Post
The unit you have has features I don't like that contribute to the reason you post.
Metering blocks with high location IFR's, huge holes in throttles plate, it goes on.
You got another carb on tap?
AS SHAKER455 POSTED ABOVE. The high IFRs, etc were one of the stupidest things Holley did in the mid 70s when that carb came out. (Tom V)

heres the plug.

no, I don't have another carb to swap on. this carb is practically brand new. A new carb with a poor design is still a POS (that can be fixed).

Send the carb to Shaker455 and he can correct the poor IFR position location and epoxy the throttle plate holes or replace them with proper Throttle Blades.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,
Going to make some changes to the KS guy (formally known as "Kingpin")carburetor.
A new base with vacuum ports and an adjustable bypass air system.
The HP blocks I've reworked in the past have been touch & go luck so may replace with our tride and true units,
And of course your favorite...50cc pump up front!
Jeff

Old 09-27-2023, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
That was how my plugs looked too and the burning eyes sure sound familiar.
Hopefully I can overcome this for sure. I suspected exhaust manifolds bottled up the flow, but its not that bad. the engine runs great have not got this tuned in just yet. just didnt want headers and the hassels of mini starters anymore. love my powermaster stock type starter it sounds and cranks awesome.

reading on speedtalk: "If you are using OE Holley blocks put the IFR in the bottom. If you have billet blocks, move it to the top. to large IFRS will cause a rich condition and smelly exhaust"

always studying up and learning.

Old 09-27-2023, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Been a while since I've worked with holley carbs, but when chosing a PV, don't you divide idle vacuum by 2 as a baseline?

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be