Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 07-05-2018, 04:41 AM

Default ❇️ One (1) piece headliner(s) ?

Hiya,

Can anyone provide me feedback on whether or not anyone manufactures or stocks a ‘One (1) Piece headliner ? {i.e. like Late Model type of headliners}

Thanks...
Dave - GTO3DEUCES
gto3deuces@gmail.com
call/text (610) 842-7905

Old 07-06-2018, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Twice, i bought a black trunk carpet roll material (AutoZone or Advanced Auto), and spray glued it to the Original 1-piece G-body headliner. Better than new.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've thought about this many times... here's my idea:
1) Set up dams around the perimeter of the car's roof to stop the resin from dripping.
2) Wax the roof of the car.
3) Mix up some fiberglass resin, then put a thin layer on the roof.
4) Lay sheets of fiberglass mat on the resin, then add more resin to the mat- make sure mat is fully wetted with resin.
5) Repeat step 4 again- you might consider turning the mat 90* to add additional strength.
6) After the fiberglass has cured, pop it loose from the roof.
7) IF it ends up being too wide for the interior, cut a small strip from the center of the piece, then apply resin and mat to the back- this will act as a bonding strip. I say IF because you won't be using the headliner bows, and the piece will only be as wide as the outside of the roof skin (which is maybe an 1/8" wider than the inside), so it will pop up into the roof cavity.
8) Once you've trial fitted it, trimmed as necessary, and sanded the exposed side smooth, get some interior glue and spray it liberally on the exposed side. Then spray your headliner material's backside with the glue. Let them tack up, then carefully lay out the material onto the headliner.
9) Trim the excess material and pop it up into place.
10) Your interior garnish moldings should keep everything locked into the roof cavity, if not, you could use velcro from the interior roof skin to the backside of the headliner.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:11 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC455 View Post
I've thought about this many times... here's my idea:
1) Set up dams around the perimeter of the car's roof to stop the resin from dripping.
2) Wax the roof of the car.
3) Mix up some fiberglass resin, then put a thin layer on the roof.
4) Lay sheets of fiberglass mat on the resin, then add more resin to the mat- make sure mat is fully wetted with resin.
5) Repeat step 4 again- you might consider turning the mat 90* to add additional strength.
6) After the fiberglass has cured, pop it loose from the roof.
7) IF it ends up being too wide for the interior, cut a small strip from the center of the piece, then apply resin and mat to the back- this will act as a bonding strip. I say IF because you won't be using the headliner bows, and the piece will only be as wide as the outside of the roof skin (which is maybe an 1/8" wider than the inside), so it will pop up into the roof cavity.
8) Once you've trial fitted it, trimmed as necessary, and sanded the exposed side smooth, get some interior glue and spray it liberally on the exposed side. Then spray your headliner material's backside with the glue. Let them tack up, then carefully lay out the material onto the headliner.
9) Trim the excess material and pop it up into place.
10) Your interior garnish moldings should keep everything locked into the roof cavity, if not, you could use velcro from the interior roof skin to the backside of the headliner.
Your in CA. must be some good roofs you can cut off, lay upside down and make for all of us. You would do well.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Saw a Iron Resurrection episode where they did something similar to make a 1 piece headliner for a 70 GTO. Obviously, they showed maybe 15 sec of them starting the process, and then cut to the finished product. No help.

There was a similar thread here on this topic a while back, and someone stated that a company considered making one, but shipping would be a painful expense and abandoned it.

I believe this would be a viable product, could be made for all 68-72 A-bodies, leaving some extra in the sail panel areas for trimming for specific app.

Think lots of people who are doing correct restos would not be customers, so maybe there's too many 'ifs' ?

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Senior Chief

There is a recent thread on the ProTouring.com site, the truck section, speaking of the same methodology for an old truck. Smart.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...ight=headliner

71 Firebird
69 Firebird

Last edited by hojs69; 08-05-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added link