Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-10-2022, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Air dam and 455 looks really nice. Those orange lamps have to go. They take away from the front end.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2022, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Air dam and 455 looks really nice. Those orange lamps have to go. They take away from the front end.
DITTO

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Goat 67 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2022, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Air dam looks good, and the 455 badge is small enough to not be offensive. The lights, however, look a little strange in my opinion. I think it would look much better with yellow lights like cars often had back in the day. Amber or orange should be used for turn signals only. Yellow is the color used for driving lights.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2022, 12:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Air dam looks good, and the 455 badge is small enough to not be offensive. The lights, however, look a little strange in my opinion. I think it would look much better with yellow lights like cars often had back in the day. Amber or orange should be used for turn signals only. Yellow is the color used for driving lights.

Funny enough I ordered what looked like more of a yellow bulb and got these. I’m going to leave them in for a while and see if they grow on me just because I have so much else to get busy on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-10-2022, 02:16 PM

the air dam is nice.
did you make it?

67 lemans custom
Old 07-10-2022, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
Thanks for all the responses. Amazingly I think this is the first thread where the comments are basically a unanimous decision! Has that even happened before? LOL

I have considered the scooped GTO style hood, but that doesn’t really look “right” unless I go with the Endura nose. Then I’d need the correct grills and lower valance. Suddenly it’s a big conversion project. I thought maybe the louver vents might give it the “scooped” look without totally changing the look of the car, much easier project and avoiding all that conversion bother. Not to mention all of the “Fake GTO” comments I’d have to endure.

While my gearhead neighbor really liked the look and function of the vents, my brother about had a fit saying “You’re going to cut two holes in that original 53 year old hood to put those things in?! Don’t do it!” Haha.

Okay so the vents are being returned to Summit today. Thanks again for setting me straight.

Some - 68 GTOs came w a steel bumper so the GTO 400 hood could be correct looking w a Steel bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74EBF66A-3797-4842-A3A6-38FB91D5762D.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	594058  

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2022, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the 455 in the grill if it actually had a 455 in it. Air dam looks good, ambler lights are not attractive at all in my opinion

Old 07-10-2022, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are amber lights that are NOT turnsignals even legal? I'd expect they violate DOT regulations--Federal, maybe State.

French cars had yellow headlights for many years, but even that's gone now. Supposedly, yellow lights are easier for the human eye to see...but I bet the real reason was to make French cars different from everywhere else because only the French know how things are supposed to be done.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by goats2quick View Post
the air dam is nice.
did you make it?

No. Got it from Tamraz in Naperville. I had couple of rattle cans of Verdoro green, used half a can of primer and one can of green. Wow, the color match is great and it really enhanced the appearance versus unpainted.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:55 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
Love the 455 in the grill if it actually had a 455 in it. Air dam looks good, ambler lights are not attractive at all in my opinion

It’ll have the 455 as soon as I can put the parts together. Everything I need is finally here, hooray! It took forever to get the ARP main studs.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I totally get where you were going with the lights. In my opinion Verdero green almost has a hint of yellow in it when the sun shines on it. I think if they were yellow lights they would not contrast and be better received.

After repainting your grill the hard way you probably don’t want to hear this, but I’ve always felt blacking out the grills creates a more aggressive look. I did this on my 68 LeMans and 70 LeMans. The goal of the 70 LeMans was to make it look tough without making it look like a GTO so I also understand what your going for there. The hood tach added a lot to the look for me. I also used the same chin spoiler but didn’t think to paint it silver- I may try that. The 8” Rallye II’s in the back helped as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8D3C426-7B4C-4A6D-BC73-3500EE5C31C0.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	594079   Click image for larger version

Name:	30CD7AB5-4256-4CC7-8D3B-71141BBB6509.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	594080  

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 01:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seriously dude, I think of this when I see colored headlights like that:

Get some clear projector beam LED Headlights with white Halos. If you decide to spray the silver parts of the grilles black leaving just the polished fins, go with the black-chrome/smoked projector lamps and some black-chrome aftermarket rims.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem with the hood is there really is no good spot to extract heat - that is better done from the fender extractors (these are 72 units modded to fit).

Not everybody will approve of cutting tin to get this. The scoops are functional.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 03:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
The problem with the hood is there really is no good spot to extract heat - that is better done from the fender extractors (these are 72 units modded to fit).

Not everybody will approve of cutting tin to get this. The scoops are functional.

I heartily approve of everything I see here!

AND request that you would start a thread to report all you have done there?

Charles

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Goat 67 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Seriously dude, I think of this when I see colored headlights like that:

Hey! Do any of you guys know where I can get a bubble gum machine for my roof?! Hahaha

Old 07-11-2022, 01:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I totally get where you were going with the lights. In my opinion Verdero green almost has a hint of yellow in it when the sun shines on it. I think if they were yellow lights they would not contrast and be better received.

After repainting your grill the hard way you probably don’t want to hear this, but I’ve always felt blacking out the grills creates a more aggressive look. I did this on my 68 LeMans and 70 LeMans. The goal of the 70 LeMans was to make it look tough without making it look like a GTO so I also understand what your going for there. The hood tach added a lot to the look for me. I also used the same chin spoiler but didn’t think to paint it silver- I may try that. The 8” Rallye II’s in the back helped as well.

Your car looks great!

I tried blacking out the grill first but the ‘69’s have such a big “beak” with that dip at the bottom it just didn’t look right on my car. It looked like something was physically missing. Honestly the’69 LeMans grill design looks like Pontiac was going more for a luxury car look than a sporty performance car. By painting only the horizontal grill lines silver it really helped with the overall look, and it greatly “dimmed down” the luxury look. It looks really nice. Now about those weird color headlamps… *

Old 07-11-2022, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
Hey! Do any of you guys know where I can get a bubble gum machine for my roof?! Hahaha

Glad you took that light-heartedly!

I have a black GTO with custom silver Judge stripes. Every time I see these I go hmmmmm ...

Old 07-11-2022, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
I heartily approve of everything I see here!

AND request that you would start a thread to report all you have done there?

Charles
Gracias. Here is the rebuild link:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...96#post6078696

I am refitting it with a 2020 L84 with LT1 cam, found here:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=856636