Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 03-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOVE the color! With the badges, were are also fantastic, thinking maybe a black and red pin stripe touch would look good! Maybe something that would pull the sail panel accents out?

The tips are a great idea, that looks tough!

I was just talking to a buddy last week about your build, hope you don't mind I brag about it! Heh-heh! Thanks for the updates!

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey thanks for the thumbs up. The color is actually lighter outdoors than the pictures show. I am thinking about doing a very subtle accent on the lower rocker panels of carbon fiber and red but have to get the car finished first. I have a really good vinyl wrap shop close to home and I am looking at wrapping the front valance spoiler/air deflector in carbon fiber.

1973 Pontiac Grand Am ERL built 430 CI LS7, Brodix STS BR7 heads, Magnum T-56 6-speed, Modulare 19" wheels, QA1/Global West/Speedtech suspension, Wilwood 6/4 piston brakes. BMW Donnington Gray paint. All wrapped up in a Hurst Pontiac tribute theme.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:45 PM

Stobin - enjoying following your build, and like so much of what I see! The GA-H badges are wicked.

What do you plan to do about the woodgrain instrument panel and clock surround - have you thought of a subtle carbon fiber or or even a brushed aluminum overlay/insert? The rest of the interior is now so modern, that the woodgrain doesn't really seem to fit in any more.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Amazing that you asked me that question. I have been rolling that around for a few weeks. The wood grain is in such good condition because I bought the kit Motorealm used to sell. I always get compliments on how nice the dash is, but lately I am wondering if I should change it. I know I can have it vinyl wrapped and it would look very good. I have a vinyl graphic shop close and the work they do is very good. In fact the front bumper rub strip on the GA was wrapped (pictures soon), and it looks brand new!! There is a nice subtle carbon fiber or a dark brushed metal vinyl that I was considering for the dash insert. I would also do the center console insert from the challenger to match. I'm open to anyone's comments on this idea. What is the best way to go?

1973 Pontiac Grand Am ERL built 430 CI LS7, Brodix STS BR7 heads, Magnum T-56 6-speed, Modulare 19" wheels, QA1/Global West/Speedtech suspension, Wilwood 6/4 piston brakes. BMW Donnington Gray paint. All wrapped up in a Hurst Pontiac tribute theme.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in the same boat with my build, like the wood grain, and the 'sunken' gauge look, but would like to do a thunder road with a traditional style set of gauges. The OE wood grain obviously wouldn't be an option with the new insert, so am now considering a quad gauge setup. But wrap is a great idea, never crossed my mind, so maybe wood grain is an option.

I think it's one of those things where you just have to dive in, try it, and see if you like it. Kind of like wheels and paint color, you can't tell 100% until after it's done, which makes it hard to make an initial decision.

I like the wood grain look, but it's not used that much in modern interior themes. I think looking at OE interiors for themes and appointments is a good way to come up with something that works, maybe I need to do some more of that before I move forward.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 03-10-2017, 11:35 AM

Since your woodgrain dash is so nice, I'd save or sell it and get a cheap replacement in decent condition. I'd do the dark brushed vinyl wrap on the inserts. You have a couple choices on the gauge bezels - factory chrome outer and black inner, or you could just respray them in a color to match the finish on the shifter and console - I can't tell if it's chrome or brushed aluminum. I think this combo would look awesome and blend right in with what you've got already.

Another idea is to be consistent with the era of the car, and wrap the dash insert with a turned aluminum like a Trans Am dash. Bob Cook's Can Am is a good example of how that'd look - he machined his from aluminum:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0112h...steering_wheel

I was going to suggest retrofitting a Trans Am 160mph speedo (it fits in the 73-77A cluster without mods) but I see you already have a very interesting (original looking) speedo. Can you tell us more about it?

Last edited by Chief Wanabee; 03-10-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:20 PM

Very very nice like it .
I been asking questions about building a better stronger chassis for the 73-77 A body's and was advised to check out your build .
Love the car car and what you have done so far. I am I the process of deciding what to to do for my new build.
The chassis modifications that you did where they upgrade because of known weak areas or just because it looked like it needed beefing up in those areas ? I've got two plans to do a 73-77 a-body . I have called several custom chassis builders and none make a new upgrade platform for the 73-77. From what I read this chassis seems to be a decent one to start with. Looks like you can get some aftermarket products from Globe West and Detroit Speed .

Old 03-10-2017, 02:56 PM

paint/color look great!! attention to detail is fantastic! need more updates. can't wait to see the finished product.

'86 951
'05 V70R
Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default GA UPDATES

Chief.... I will need to stick with the existing dash panel because the chrome was redone way back in 2002 and is also looks new. Any used one I find will need to be re-chromed and it was really expensive then, so I don't have the budget for that right now. I will need to ask the shop if the woodgrain would be damaged. The speedometer, oil, water, and hood tach were rebuilt by Redline Gaugeworks with new guts that allow them to work with the LS7. I decided to go with the 200 mph as kind of a joke only because I think the car would fly before it hit 160. LOL!!

Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default GA CHASSIS UPGRADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973ramairman View Post
Very very nice like it .
I been asking questions about building a better stronger chassis for the 73-77 A body's and was advised to check out your build .
Love the car car and what you have done so far. I am I the process of deciding what to to do for my new build.
The chassis modifications that you did where they upgrade because of known weak areas or just because it looked like it needed beefing up in those areas ? I've got two plans to do a 73-77 a-body . I have called several custom chassis builders and none make a new upgrade platform for the 73-77. From what I read this chassis seems to be a decent one to start with. Looks like you can get some aftermarket products from Globe West and Detroit Speed .
I decided to upgrade the chassis mainly because I want to autocross the car and go to a few track day events. I also think it was just a good idea to stiffen it up. I also do not have the budget to purchase an aftermarket frame. One company is now building one for the '73-'77's, Schwartz Performance. I am sure the cost is somewhere between 12-20K. I spent that money in other areas.

I appreciate everyone's opinion on this build. I know I am a little on my own as far as building a GA to this level. I have owned this car for 25 years and I love the way it gets attention based on the fact that most people have zero idea what it is. So when you go the PT route you get even more head scratching.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 AM

my mom bought one of these brand new when i was 8 years old, so it's very cool to see someone putting this much effort into a GA. her's was white with the red/blue pinstripes and dark red interior. pretty striking looking car. it was later sold to my uncle who beat the **** out of it - he used to joke (not so much) about the bodywork being 'done by ludes'.

'86 951
'05 V70R
Old 03-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stobin View Post
Chief..... I decided to go with the 200 mph as kind of a joke only because I think the car would fly before it hit 160. LOL!!
I've done 165 in the LeMans 'brick' several times, and 140+ on many occasions. Done close to 180 (175+) in the T/A. You'd be surprised how well they stay 'grounded'!

The big jump is from 180 to 200mph, that barrier is hard to break. That's where aero makes the biggest difference. And you need a considerable jump in power too.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 PM

So what's the ride height going to be ? Believe you said you are not using drop spindles but just using the spring height on the adjustable coil overs .
Yes Schwartz performance is building a chassis for the 73-77 Abody $11,000 plus options.
As for the console ,you don't like the original grand am unit? Or is it because of the 6 speed , which I'm sure you would have to cut up.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973ramairman View Post
So what's the ride height going to be ? Believe you said you are not using drop spindles but just using the spring height on the adjustable coil overs .
Yes Schwartz performance is building a chassis for the 73-77 Abody $11,000 plus options.
As for the console ,you don't like the original grand am unit? Or is it because of the 6 speed , which I'm sure you would have to cut up.
The ride height is still not set. I am waiting to get all the glass, interior and exhaust installed as well as the bumpers to see where it sits. I can tell you there is quite a big improvement in suspension travel and cross member clearance compared to before. The Speedtech UCA's and spindles gave me a lot more room to adjust the front suspension without worrying about running out of shock travel. As for the console, I wanted to run a certain shifter, and the factory console is very narrow. Also the 6-speed shifter wound up positioned more toward the passenger side than the 5-speed, so I needed the bigger opening. I am trying to decide if I will keep the factory console, or sell it?

Old 03-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have been following the build and love the way it's turned out!!

The wood grain dash surround needs a nice carbon fiber wrap. That's the only thing I would change.

Love the paint choice!! I really liked it with out the clear also.......had a very menacing look not shiny. Congrats on a job well done!!!

Old 03-21-2017, 06:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrat1 View Post
Have been following the build and love the way it's turned out!!

The wood grain dash surround needs a nice carbon fiber wrap. That's the only thing I would change.

Love the paint choice!! I really liked it with out the clear also.......had a very menacing look not shiny. Congrats on a job well done!!!
Very nice comments. Thank you. I will be looking at the carbon fiber idea soon. The car in in the interior shop now. Should be finished next week.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car looks great!

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 04-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default GRAND AM BACK HOME

I finally was able to get the GA back home after being at the paint shop for 18 months. I will be working on it as much as possible to get all the little things done.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the only way that car would be better is if it still had a pontiac motor! looks great!

Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome, and for Christ sake haven't we been over the LS argument enough.
Sick build, loved every part of the build.