Old 02-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rally II Lugnuts

Last time I bought a set of repro lugnuts was probably 5-6 years ago from Ames. I recently bought a new set from Inline Tube and there are some substantial differences.

My memory is that the handful of originals that were on the car when I got it were closer to the Ames style, but I know Inline seems to prides itself on exact repros. Just confused as to why these are so different.

The pic in the Inline catalog looks like my old ones

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2271.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	475157   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2272.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	475158  

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 02-10-2018, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

inlines claims of exact repros can be pretty funny sometimes. I don't fault them for at least making something available in the barren aftermarket world of Pontiac parts but they need to dial the claims of "exact as oem" stuff back because it jus' ain't so! they also tend to sweep usage a little wide, like back lock studs being 69-72 when it's really only 70-72 and 69 was different. if you replace all the components then yes, it works for 69 but if you're mixing with oem parts, they don't work together.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have original GM ralley II lug nuts on my car and they look exactly like the new lug nut on the right in your picture. I have seen the Ames lug nuts and they aren't even close to being correct. I assume that the nut on the right is a new Inline Tube nut? If so you have made the right choice...they look dead nuts correct to my eye. I've run 3 sets of original GM nuts on my car over the last 47 years and they all looked like the pic on the right. The only difference is
that original nuts had a more frosty finish on the chrome, not a show smooth as glass finish like in your picture, but
I doubt anyone would notice that once they are installed.

Last edited by gtohurstjudge; 02-13-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, but I beg to differ there hurst, here's a pair of original rally 2 lug nuts I pulled off my 69 back in 1986 and they look like the one on the left, not that inline repro one on the right. go to page 110 in the zazarine resto guide and he's got a clean picture of them there too, same as the ones I pictured and what's on the left in the original picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P0012013.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	475484  

Last edited by gto4evr; 02-13-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There must have been more than 1 supplier for these nuts from GM.
The nuts on my car were purchased from a Pontiac dealer in 1985 and they look like the inline tube nuts.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting. All things considered, the Inline repros seem little nicer. Once they're on the car they look about the same.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:31 AM
Senior Chief

Not sure if mine are original or not. I bought my car about 28 years ago and I don't remember if they were selling repro one's back then, but I just bought a new set from Ames and they are the same ones that were on my car. The old set and the new set look like the picture on the left.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I have some original lug nuts & some that I bought from Ames about 12 years ago.
I'll look to see if I can find them. I thought they were dang near identical though.

As far as inline tube, its very bittersweet. I love that they offer so many individual one off parts that others just don't have. HOWEVER, I loathe the fact that every part they have is........ "an exact GM oem replacement"
They seem to be in such a hurry to market so many parts they don't take the time, or the care to really verify what's correct & what isn't. In fact if you ask me that's doing a little harm to the hobby. So many people putting trust into some of these parts that pretty soon the guys with the correct & original parts will actually be considered to have the wrong & incorrect parts are their cars without ever touching them....

There are several parts I plan to order soon from inline tube, but I feel like buying their parts is like being at a swap meet. Better do your own homework, rather than take the guy under the tents word for what he is selling.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 02-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"So many people putting trust into some of these parts that pretty soon the guys with the correct & original parts will actually be considered to have the wrong & incorrect parts are their cars without ever touching them...."

Kind of like the Buick air cleaner decal that has become the norm on restorations....

Old 02-18-2018, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gtocv View Post
"So many people putting trust into some of these parts that pretty soon the guys with the correct & original parts will actually be considered to have the wrong & incorrect parts are their cars without ever touching them...."

Kind of like the Buick air cleaner decal that has become the norm on restorations....
Don't forget how everyone puts the blue GM logo door jamb stickers on all the 68-72's now too because of the resto catalogs! Convince a guy that buys a beat car that was restored 20 years ago that that old sticker shouldn't be there now.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
Don't forget how everyone puts the blue GM logo door jamb stickers on all the 68-72's now too because of the resto catalogs! Convince a guy that buys a beat car that was restored 20 years ago that that old sticker shouldn't be there now.
I have on elf those Blue GM Door Jamb decals. I was bummed when I found out they last used them in 1967. It will look good on something.......
Maybe my tool box

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 02-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry gto4evr but I beg to differ. Page 110 of the resto guide clearly looks like the ones originally posted on the right (inline tube) Also your original ones look to me like page 110, they also look like the original ones I have. Inline tubes do look shorter than the Ames repos. The Ames repos have the corners beveled, Inline tube, the resto guide, your original, my originals ALL have a flat top. The only deformation is from lug wrenches and impacts. I have included some pictures. The early (non inline tube) reproduction is on the left and the know original is on the right.

Name:	lug nuts.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	476004

Name:	IMG_5153.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	476005

Name:	IMG_5154.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	476006

Quote:
Sorry, but I beg to differ there hurst, here's a pair of original rally 2 lug nuts I pulled off my 69 back in 1986 and they look like the one on the left, not that inline repro one on the right. go to page 110 in the zazarine resto guide and he's got a clean picture of them there too, same as the ones I pictured and what's on the left in the original picture

Old 02-19-2018, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

??? I guess I'm missing something here. I feel like you're proving my point with the pictures, not contradicting it. My main issue with how bad the inline ones look compared to the originals isn't even the top, it's the two slices and the band betwen them around the base. the Inline ones are CLEARLY different there as well as being shorter than the originals. if I was to pick between the two, The Ames version is clearly closer to an original than the inline version.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

To clarify why I think the Inline tube lug nut looks more correct is because of the head. I don't think either reproduction has the shaft right, but the head is what you would see the most once installed.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you have a 60's Frigidaire refrigerator, they used blue GM decals on the door liners. Not sure if they're the same.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just came across inline's ad on ebay and their pictures are the standard "Ames" style repops and not the ones the OP got.

Again with inline's claims these are "EXACT"

"These lug nuts were used on all Pontiac's with rally wheels. These will also fit later cars. These are an exact reproduction of the original in the same material and thickness as the original."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-70-Pon...9aeFyV&vxp=mtr

So a picture that doesn't match what they ship you based on what Verdoro got from them. Either they changed suppliers and didn't update the picture or they've got multiple suppliers and you get what you get when they fill an order.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inline.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	476088  

Old 02-20-2018, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So a picture that doesn't match what they ship you based on what Verdoro got from them. Either they changed suppliers and didn't update the picture or they've got multiple suppliers and you get what you get when they fill an order.
Yeah, that's what prompted the thread. Might reach out to Inline to see what they have to say. Not sure what Ames is selling these days.

FWIW, I found a pic of a wheel I took of my car back in 1991. The lugs match the ones I took off. I also notice the Resto guide picture specifies '67 in the picture. Any possibility '67 was unique and that's what these repos are based off?

Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the picture in the guide is just to show that 67 was the first year of the new lugs and rims. I didn't think there was any difference between lugs other than dot color of red and black. My originals are from a 69 GTO and match the picture of his 67 lugs.

as a side note, I thought that there was no real evidence of red ever being used in 67 and didn't make an appearance until the late 70 models when they changed from black to red inserts in the caps. (this is one of the disputed facts in the book)

Old 02-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was digging through a pail of original Rally II lug nuts given to me by someone who parted out Pontiacs long before reproductions were even dreamed of. I found many examples that match the one that the original poster got from Inline Tube. It has the same head design and the ribs are the same also. It is also shorter. Maybe it is a year thing, but most likely it is just that there were different suppliers.

Name:	IMG_5204.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	476102

Name:	IMG_5205.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	476103

Name:	IMG_5206.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	476104

Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did some more digging, found another style that is even shorter. It looks to be exact to the Inline Tube one. I my opinion the the 3 original examples look way closer to the Inline tube reproduction, The Ames style with the big wide ribs and beveled top would be the last choice for me.

Name:	IMG_5207.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	476106