Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2020, 08:49 PM

Default coil voltage

I've been running the Pertronix I on my 67 GTO for almost 20 years and recently decided to go back to points. Installed new points, condenser, and coil, purchased from our host. Gapped the points and set dwell at 30 degrees and all good actually starts up better. So out of curiosity I checked the volts at the coil (+ side to gnd) and I'm getting 11.8 volts instead of the 8 or so that i thought it should be. It does have the resistive wire. And I couldn't remember if i jumpered IGN 1 and IGN2 somewhere for the Petronix so I ran a bypass from IGN1 using a resistive wire from an old harness (same length about 4 1/2 ft) to the coil and I'm still getting 11.8 volts when car is running. Shouldn't the voltage be lower? What could I be missing? There is 14 volts at the battery. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!