Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rally II Charcoal paint

Anyone know where I can get the correct color paint with part number to repair the paint on my wheels. The guys while changing out the tires screwed up a couple of my rims.... ugh...

Old 08-02-2023, 05:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Eastwood supply I believe.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 08-02-2023, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqhead View Post
Anyone know where I can get the correct color paint with part number to repair the paint on my wheels. The guys while changing out the tires screwed up a couple of my rims.... ugh...
Need to know if they are original paint or have they been repainted? Original or aged paint will be very difficult to match with a new paint.

Without knowing what the paint is, it will be almost impossible to guess at what paint will match... & even if you know for sure what the paint is, its likely faded or changed color from original.

If you know what it is you might get lucky matching it, but if not the best approach is to have a auto paint store use a color matching gun to match whats on there.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2023, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
Need to know if they are original paint or have they been repainted? Original or aged paint will be very difficult to match with a new paint.

Without knowing what the paint is, it will be almost impossible to guess at what paint will match... & even if you know for sure what the paint is, its likely faded or changed color from original.

If you know what it is you might get lucky matching it, but if not the best approach is to have a auto paint store use a color matching gun to match whats on there.
I bought these from OPG 12-13 years ago, if you ask me seems like they were not prepped right when painted originally as looking at them further it doesn't take much to rub the paint off! Love it when you spend that kind of money for **** product!

Old 08-02-2023, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe try calling OPG to see if they can tell you what paint was used or a code?

Aide from that, best option is a paint matching gun at a local auto paint store. Or have all the rims repainted at the expense of the shop that messed them up.

If you can or want to repaint them yourself there are some pretty good rattle can paints that can be used along with the stencils or mask your self. Eastwood will have good quality paint for this or others on a budget like myself have had excellent results with paints available at auto parts stores or home improvement stores, i used rustoleum wheel paint on my rallys & they turned out great... as with any paint job prep is key to get good results.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
Maybe try calling OPG to see if they can tell you what paint was used or a code?

Aide from that, best option is a paint matching gun at a local auto paint store. Or have all the rims repainted at the expense of the shop that messed them up.

If you can or want to repaint them yourself there are some pretty good rattle can paints that can be used along with the stencils or mask your self. Eastwood will have good quality paint for this or others on a budget like myself have had excellent results with paints available at auto parts stores or home improvement stores, i used rustoleum wheel paint on my rallys & they turned out great... as with any paint job prep is key to get good results.
Agree, prep and something as simple as sanding for something for the paint to grab to would help! lol Curious, do you recall or know what paint you used. This could be a winter project I can take on...

Old 08-02-2023, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's Argent Silver, but they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. And true that with fade, it will be difficult to match. Only way I can think of is to refinish all at the same time.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-02-2023, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was close:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=554851

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-02-2023, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, i used rustoleums wheel paint i bought from a local menards home store for about $5/can a few years ago. i used the charcoal for the centers & the silver for the rest of the wheels, then used a couple coats of their matte clear for added protection & correct sheen, these wheels werent glossy when new & the repaints I see with high gloss paint dont look right, nice but not factory correct. I masked teh spokes myself and did a few other tricks for priming & to get the best results I can share if you decide to do it yourself. I also used duplicolor brand paint on another set of 14" ralley 2 I did for a friend using the stencils you can buy for cheap, came out looking nice too but the rustoleum went on nicer & had a better color for the charcoal, the stencils work good but I prefer masking myself besides the time it takes. I dont have many pics of them but can get more if needed.

If the shop messed them up, its worth a call to the manager to see if they will do something to make it right.. like pay for what it would cost to have them repainted or at least the paint & materials.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4511.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	617289  

Last edited by 78w72; 08-02-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, appreciate the info!

Old 08-04-2023, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rims from wheels vintiques have a reputation for the charcoal part to easily come off. I bought brand new ones and the argent silver part is powder coated. But when they did the charcoal part it looks like paint. I could dig the charcoal off with my fingernail but the silver was very tough. I carefully scraped off all the charcoal ,fine sanded,masked and repainted the charcoal with eastwoods and then applied their semi gloss clearcoat which eastwoods recommends. Came out good. The charcoal that wheels vintiques applies also had a slight bronze tint to it which I didnt like anyways.