The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How much does a color change hurt the value?

Getting my '68 torn down and ready for a trip to the body shop. It's probably the most common color/option combo for '68 - Verdoro Green, black interior, automatic, A/C...like every other one off the line back then.

It's still got the original block and date code correct heads and intake on it (not the originals), as well as a '68 Q-Jet, '68 distributor and '68 TH400 (not original to the car). It has a '69 XH posi under the rear end. I've added lots of options to it so it's not exactly like it left the factory.

Verdoro Green is a fairly polarizing color. I happen to like it, but it's also really common. Honestly, I wouldn't mind something a little different. Would I take a hit on the value of the car if I repainted it '68 Aleutian Blue? Would it possibly increase the value?

I have no plans on selling, but if the time ever comes I'd like to maximize the value.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 02-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Compared to the cost of the paint job, I don't think the decrease in value will be substantial. That '68 Blue is really nice. - The blue might actually increase value, as a non-GTO person would be more likely to buy the car - so your market expands.

Not that it matters much, but I think Verdoro is great... a nice deep shiney Verdoro is an awesome sight.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a 68 GTO that was a real dark blue. I go to the conventions and Norwalk and its like I never see that dark blue. It was as bad as black to keep clean but sure was pretty. I am in my 60's and to this day I can say that was probably the best car I ever owned. The way I look at it if its not for sale its yours to enjoy.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a couple things holding me back:

1) Properly changing the color. Since it's not a frame off resto, there's always going to be green somewhere on the car even if it's hidden.

2) The code Q on the data plate. If I were shopping for a car found one that wasn't as it left the factory, I'd pass until I found one that was a factory color I liked. So that part of me thinks if I want a different color, I should get a different car.

The original plan was to repaint it Verdoro and add a rally stripe so it matched the famous Woodward ad. I still think that would be kind of cool.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you will have to change your screen name also.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 02-28-2012, 04:18 PM

You could possibly go with a green but not verdoro and not 68 vintage. That's what I did when I was trying to decide on a color 12 yrs ago. Originally verdoro but car was white when I bought it. When we sanded it down to bare metal we found orbit orange, yellow and verdoro on different body panels underneath the white. I wanted to stay 'somewhat original' to the build sheet so I chose a 2000ish Pontiac dark metallic green I saw on a Trans Am and said that's the color I want. I never regretted that decision. Now I just need to re-do my endura bumper because of cracking.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63gpman View Post
I think you will have to change your screen name also.
That's a cheap and easy fix compared to the cost and effort of a paint job

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtexan View Post
You could possibly go with a green but not verdoro and not 68 vintage.
If I'm going to change the color, it's not going to be another green I kind of did that back in '92 when it was painted. It's currently some Chrysler color close to Verdoro but it's not spot on.

I like Aleutian Blue about the same as I like Verdoro, but you don't see it very often. If my wife egging me on to change the color, I'd go green.

Maybe I just need some nice deep shots of a freshly painted Verdoro car to keep me from changing my mind.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While I think some of the GTO colors are "pretty". I think certain colors just say GTO better ....and Vedora green is one of those colors. There is probably a reason a whole lot of the factory ads of the day used Vedora green GTOs ...cause they look pretty freakin nice. Seems to lend the car an air of class and style, rather than bling.

Yes my GTO is Vedora green too, I'd have it no other way. GTO's are animals, born a certain color ..they should live that color, and find a partner in life that loves their color.
JohnnyB

Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car was green. Once ya go black, you'll never go back.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vedora green is nice. And it the one color the cops won't see while you hide from them in the woods or a nice green hay field.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you do change colors I'd recommend staying with a 68 offering. I'd keep it VERDORO green.

Unless you paint it vedoro, verdan, verdona, veranda, vedrona, verado, avocado, vedrano, etc. etc. etc.!

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Value? According to you it's not numbers matching anyway... Paint it the way you want it. Do youbwant to please the Pontiac community or yourself? Your 36. The days of ordering a new 68 GTO in a color you want are gone...you have many years of enjoying that car. To sell yours and buy one the color you want you might as well buy one numbers matching. Big financial hit. I don't know about you but my car spends way more time in the street then at shows...and I go to a lot of shows. When doing your car stay within the spirit of the car by all means..don't rig it. But this time and money people spend for correct starter part numbers and correct alternator fans and date correct ring and pinions, WOW. I don't care what you tell me these cars are not investments these days. To get a car worth $45,000 you have to put $100,000 into them. Me? Personally I'd rather drive my car. I don't have time in my life to drive a car around the block for 10 minutes and spend 4 hours cleaning frame rails and wheel wells. Do you really think when someone buys an all original 73 455SD Trans Am for 80,90,100,000 they are really gonna make a profit in their life time? Buy the time a profit is realized either people interested in a car like that will be gone or the owner will. To make a $10,000 you have to lay out $100,000. Pretty risky...if you have that kind of disposable cash it's an ego thing.

Of course that is my opinion not necessarily that of this station..LOL

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He is ASKING for opinions... not REACTING to them. Most everyone I know would agree, build what you want. But I caution my customers not to do something they will regret. Example, a customer brought me an Atoll Blue 70 Judge basket case, he wanted it restored to show condition, in Orbit Orange. My advice was to find an Orbit Judge. He did, and will be happier than he ever would have been with a color change Judge. This car is not a Judge but my point is it doesn't hurt to get input from your peers from time to time. This poor guy is up against his wife for god's sake! He need's some back-up... He wants Verdoro Green!

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well your customer has deep pockets... I will assume because he wanted a Judge in "Showroom condition" that is was also numbers matching. Not the case here. Then you rely on the fact he's up against his wife. He's 36. Not only does he have many years to enjoy that car, but hopefully many years of marriage. How's that working out for you? 'cause I'm divorced LOL. If he could please his wife while at the same time get a color he likes better,looks like a win win situation to me.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not trying to be aggressive in any way I'm actually laughing while typing this. It all good.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciate the input.

I should note that my wife is not a car person. She doesn't particularly like the car, but she tolerates it. By giving her some input on the color choice I thought maybe she'd come around a little and feel more involved.

Her aside, I'm personally entertaining a color change because 1) it's a super common color combo 2) if I was to go back in time and order a new one it wouldn't have been Verdoro Green.

I did a sweep of all the '68-'69 GTOs on eBay tonight and a majority of them have had a color change. Poor Verdoro seems to take the brunt of them. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I think it is, but it's something I would factor in if I was in the market for a car.

Paul makes a great point about doing something you might regret. More than likely this will be the last paint job I'll put on it and it's going to cost a fair amount of coin. I want to make a choice I can live with. It's been green so long I sort of feel like I'd be cheating the car's history by painting it a different color if that makes any sense.

That said, Aleutian Blue and Nightshade Green are pretty sweet colors that you don't see very often. I also don't think I've ever heard anyone say "You should have kept it Verdoro Green"

Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You know your wife best. As far as the cars history...unless you know the cars history,then the history started the day you bought it. The only regret you should have is after you paint it you don't like the color. If you are concerned about the paint code you could have another trim tag made for $250.00. Cheap compared to the paint job. PHS would be the only one who knows. It's your car. Not the previous owners. I'm pushing 50 now and you start to learn to pick your battles and not sweat the small stuff. Life is short,buddy. It will always be a GTO no matter what color it is. Enjoy your car no matter what you decide...

Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree Frankie!

Also have a fondness for Nightshade and Aluetian!.

My 68 GTO Convert was Nightshade when new, It was red when when we bought it, fiance let me buy it and loved the red, I repainted it red and we drove it in our wedding. Now 12 years later it's time to do the car right. I want Nightshade, she wants Red! Last year I was trying to talk her into a Special Order Paint Carousel 69 convert, ra III, 4 speed, parchment... A twin to my Judge without the stripes... I now have the 69, guess what color the 68 will be!

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you are asking for opinions, here goes.

Verdoro green is a great color and was exclusive to Pontiac!

That color says Pontiac Motor Division.

Doing a color change will DEVALUE your GTO.

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want to change something that will have a big impact for few dollars change the top to white. The white on Voodoo is killer - the only thing better would be to have that pearlescent parchment interior. Ooohhhh!

Seriously, the white top will change the character of the car 100% over the original black & far easier and less expensive to fix should you choose to do so.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978