Old 01-08-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymanjoe View Post
That was just from painting the inside of the housing white?

Old 01-08-2017, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes that is all i did,i was really surprised.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 AM

Yeah it's really a significant change. Easy tip for better lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-27-2017, 11:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default I just changed my 1157's to LED...

...I used the Autozone Sylvania/Osram product, red, they have a 12 mo. no questions guarantee if you don't like them...my old flasher works fine..but if not, get one for LED's for about $15. I tried Super Bright bulbs, buy not much difference from regular to Brake light...so went back to LED..they have a significant difference between parking/running light and Braking light...i may re-color inside of lenses white or use silver/chrome reflective tape to see if it helps..but just the led set up made them brighter...i also bought a small led 8" strip that i may find a way to mount into the rear convertible window ..it is thin and may work ok with top...although only good when top is up, not down...but main reason i like these is they draw very little jiuce on 50 yr old circuits and wires...

Old 01-30-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasse64 View Post
...I used the Autozone Sylvania/Osram product, red, they have a 12 mo. no questions guarantee if you don't like them...my old flasher works fine..but if not, get one for LED's for about $15. I tried Super Bright bulbs, buy not much difference from regular to Brake light...so went back to LED..they have a significant difference between parking/running light and Braking light...i may re-color inside of lenses white or use silver/chrome reflective tape to see if it helps..but just the led set up made them brighter...i also bought a small led 8" strip that i may find a way to mount into the rear convertible window ..it is thin and may work ok with top...although only good when top is up, not down...but main reason i like these is they draw very little jiuce on 50 yr old circuits and wires...
I had powdercoated the inside of my taillight bezels with eastwood extreme chrome and tried it then painted them white and there was a significant difference. White is def the way to go with it.
I ended up going with the LUYED brand led bulbs I found on amazon. Went for the highest lumen bulb I could find in the corresponding color. reverse bulbs were rated at like 1000 lumen or something and the red brake lights were around 800 I believe. The amber turn signal ones were the lowest but still like 750 or something wild. They are very visable but not blinding bright. So I'm definitely happy with them. I wanted to make sure I went really bright with the tail light bulbs cause I tinted the lenses. I've got a lemans and can't find a decent set of lenses so it kind of covered them up. I also went with red bulbs for the brake lights. Was reading that you want to make the color to the lenses for better brightness. Color absorption and what not if I recall correctly. But regardless I'm very very happy with how they turned out. A little pricey but wouldn't change them at all.
I did have to get the LED flashers too. They work fine but I do here the few run on clicks when I turn the blinker offs. The lights don't blink on but you'll hear the flasher click 2 or 3 times afterword. No big deal but it's there.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:33 AM
Senior Chief

Default i might just have to try your...

...method of painting inside white to compare....think that is key to making a chrome inner light Brighter?

Old 03-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This was just detailed in another thread. I bought what Dale suggested in this post last night. I am just looking for brighter, safer lighting that still looks old school. No flashy, directional, dancing lights, just brighter lights and less draw to boot:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...2&postcount=92

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-07-2017, 07:45 AM

Digitails look great , but not yet available for a 70.. (GTO)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and
try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger.
But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half."
- Winston Churchill

Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrisk View Post
Adam,
It is really very simple to convert your rear and front lights to LED.
First replace your flasher with an LED flasher. The number is CF12. Here is one sold on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/PartsSquare-F...rds=CF12ANL-01 This place has better quality but they are more expensive. https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...c-flasher/781/

Then buy these for your tail lights. https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Ext...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Buy these for your front turn lights. https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Ext...ct_top?ie=UTF8

And you're done.

There are kits out there that are very detailed and require a lot of work. Even AMES sells LED tail light cards that require a lot to get them up and running. With the new technology coming out with the newer replacement LED bulbs that are brighter and more reliable it really makes the conversion as easy as changing out your light bulbs. Just don't forget to get a flasher that is rated for LED lights. A stock flasher will not work properly with LEDs. Also, some of the replacement 1157 and 1156 bulbs are too tall. Just make sure they are close to a stock light bulb and they will fit fine.

Hope this helps,
Dale
Well, so far this didn't work for me. It did initially when I Installed only the rear bulbs and nothing else. The turn signals and the brake lights worked fine.

But that was with the car off. I started the car for the first time and the left turn signal didn't work at all and the right signal worked. No brake lights work, they are just bright all the time. So I put in the new flasher that I had purchased as suggested and I still have no brake lights so that didn't help anything.

To be fair, I have not yet installed the front bulbs because it's a bit of a pain in the neck on a 64. I guess I will do that and check back.

Did I miss something? Why would they work initially and not now? And why no brake lights? They are on a different circuit from parking,, which do work but are so bright I almost wonder in they are on full like brake lights.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-10-2017, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
Did I miss something? Why would they work initially and not now? And why no brake lights? They are on a different circuit from parking,, which do work but are so bright I almost wonder in they are on full like brake lights.
On my 66 GTO, with six tail light bulbs, I had a similar problem with a few of the bulbs. I simply reversed the wiring on the ones that were full bright and everything worked fine. Don't know if this is the same issue you're having, but worth a look

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 03-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well, so far this didn't work for me. It did initially when I Installed only the rear bulbs and nothing else. The turn signals and the brake lights worked fine.

But that was with the car off. I started the car for the first time and the left turn signal didn't work at all and the right signal worked. No brake lights work, they are just bright all the time. So I put in the new flasher that I had purchased as suggested and I still have no brake lights so that didn't help anything.

To be fair, I have not yet installed the front bulbs because it's a bit of a pain in the neck on a 64. I guess I will do that and check back.

Adam,
That is very strange that they worked with the car off and not with the car running. Did you try turning the car off to see if they started working again? Of all of the research I did on the different types of LED bulb conversions I did not read anyone that had the problems that you are referring to. I think I would try putting the car back to normal and see if the problem clears up. If it does then it is definitely related to the bulbs. I did read on one site where they said not to mix the LED bulbs with conventional bulbs because the power required to work the different bulbs is drastically different and will cause problems because it takes a lot more energy to lite up a standard bulb than it does an LED. It might all be taken care of by installing the front LED bulbs.

I also read one post where someone had to reverse the wires on the flasher to get it to work properly, but I don't remember what car it was. I think it was a MOPAR.

Let me know what you find out. I am sorry you are having problems with the conversion.
Dale

Old 03-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Signleton,
I don't think that's my issue, or at least it doesn't seem to make sense because when I first installed them this week them all 6 rear bulbs worked fine with stock flasher and stock front bulbs. (Parking lights, turn signals, brake lights.)

https://youtu.be/Dx6NdhSF5Gg

Then a few days later when I started the car, they don't work right. And now I have no brake lighting at all.

Argh! This is why I wasn't going to start with the LED's!

Dale,
I was thinking about that, regarding the front LED's. Oh, and I was using the stock flasher (which looks new, I have a pic of it) and then switched to the new flasher you suggested, but that made no difference.

I turned the car off and did all the same tests and things were the same or worse. left turn signal doesn't work at all.

I'll first try and install the front LED's since that's the ideal outcome. LED's all around and modern flasher. If that doesn't work, I'll revert all back to old bulbs and see what happens.

It's this type of puttering around that leads to tinkering (ie, breaking stuff that was not previously broke!)

469, M21, 3.42

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 03-10-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Signleton,

Dale,
I was thinking about that, regarding the front LED's. Oh, and I was using the stock flasher (which looks new, I have a pic of it) and then switched to the new flasher you suggested, but that made no difference.

I turned the car off and did all the same tests and things were the same or worse. left turn signal doesn't work at all.

I'll first try and install the front LED's since that's the ideal outcome. LED's all around and modern flasher. If that doesn't work, I'll revert all back to old bulbs and see what happens.

It's this type of puttering around that leads to tinkering (ie, breaking stuff that was not previously broke!)
Adam,
Here is another thought for you. I have also been switching my house over to all LED, no small task. So I have done a lot of research on LEDs and what will and will not work. When researching replacement lights for my recessed can lights I found a discussion on the internet where someone replaced a couple of their lights with LEDs that were all on the same circuit and on a dimmer. They immediately started having problems, lights wouldn't dim, lights would flicker, so on. They even changed the wall dimmer to one that was rated for LED and CFL bulbs, still not good. Then an electrician chimed in and said you can not mix LED and standard halogen or incandescent bulbs. He suggested that the person switch all of the lights that are on the same circuit to LED bulbs. Once they did that everything started working as it should.

Years ago I also switched my Harley to LED lights, for the same reason as the car, I wanted to be seen from the back better. The research I did back then also recommended changing the front and back lights together to keep from having problems. So I bought a complete kit that changed everything and even had a plug and play box that took out all of the problems associated with LED conversions. Everything has worked great from the moment I installed them.

This might fix itself once you install the front LED lights. If not contact the place where you bought the bulbs and see what they recommend. If you bought them from JDM they are normally pretty good about helping people with problems.

Keep me posted on what happens,
Dale

Old 03-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ok. I will definitely start by installing the front LED's. (despite that being a royal PITA on a 64 due to their location and limited access in the bumper)

Hopefully, that will do it because I really would prefer the safety of the brighter lights. Hell, these old cars (especially `64) have ZERO lighting from the side which, as I get older and wiser (ie, more afraid(?)) I see is important.

This will give me something ELSE to do during the winter storm this weekend.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just getting ready to do the homework on LED conversions, so listening closely here. I know there's a bunch of junk out there, have heard some ricers complaining, so don't want to get caught in the same rut.

Headlight conversions is one area where I know there's a lot of junk. I want an H4 conversion with halos, and want to use H4 type LED headlight bulbs.

One thing is I don't want the halo to look like a bunch of individual lights, want it to look like one, continuous light ring. Not sure if some of that is from the number of elements themselves, or just the pictures used for advertising.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of the issues I've seen are tied to modern cars. For example, my Jeep has a "pulse" electrical system so it's not sending a continuous flow of electricity to the headlights, but rather a pulsing stream. LED's dislike that from what I've read. I stopped reading and went with Cibie E-code laps with stock wattage bulbs in my Wrangler. They are amazing and have been 100% trouble-free since day one (knocking on wood now).

That is obviously not an issue with 50 year old wiring.

Oh, and of course, running headlight harnesses that are drawing the power through real gauge wires from the source as opposed to through the light switch and fuse box is also a must for real lights. (I didn't feel the need for that on my jeep because I went with stock watt bulbs, but it was my next step if I felt the need.)

As for my Pontiac lighting issues, I'll keep you posted. Safety first, after all. (Good, fast, tire burning fun is a very, VERY close second of course.)

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-10-2017, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I did the headlight relay conversion, and am going to rewire the front harnesses. Even with LEDs, will probably still run the relays.

Did an H4 conversion on the 442, used hi/lo bulbs in all 4, and wired the highs to the lows for high beam operation. Think they are 55/80 bulbs, and, wow, you go to high beam and it's daylight. Thing will give you a tan.

I was looking at the Octane Lighting enclosures with the LED halo, seen some have had pretty good luck with those, may lean in that direction.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 03-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
...and wired the highs to the lows for high beam operation...
Please elaborate

469, M21, 3.42

Old 03-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Just getting ready to do the homework on LED conversions, so listening closely here. I know there's a bunch of junk out there, have heard some ricers complaining, so don't want to get caught in the same rut.

Headlight conversions is one area where I know there's a lot of junk. I want an H4 conversion with halos, and want to use H4 type LED headlight bulbs.

One thing is I don't want the halo to look like a bunch of individual lights, want it to look like one, continuous light ring. Not sure if some of that is from the number of elements themselves, or just the pictures used for advertising.

When I was researching for LED lights for the rest of the car I was also considering doing the H4 conversion with the headlight relay. Then I found these on a Mustang site. They are expensive and I really haven't looked any further into it but it seems the headlights are finally starting to catch up with LED technology. No halos though. http://www.cjponyparts.com/headlight...-1969/p/HLA55/

I also found these, don't know if I like this look though. One is single beam and the other is dual beam. https://hidkitpros.com/shop/5-round-...ed-conversion/ http://hidkitpros.com/shop/5-h5006-r...ht-conversion/
Dale

Old 03-11-2017, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Please elaborate
Did this on the 442 build, wired the low and high element together on the high beam bulb, used a hi/lo bulb. (See pic) Can see the relay setup too.

So usually, you have a hi/lo bulb on the outside pair of headlights, and a single element bulb on the inside pair.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eletrical20007SM.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	449304