Old 09-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Auto shifter cable options?

My origgy auto cable was toast and I never had this car running before resto,, but the origgny pulled out of the crimp I guess sometime in its past down by the tranny end... So i got a repo one off a site from a good supplier and there going to replace the cable I'm sure. So it pulled out of the crimp on the shifter end... I can shift the trans by hand and its firm but not impossible

So I'm asking is this all there is out there for TH400 auto shifters?
This repo cable (see pix) lasted a couple of drives. figure if I new another it will last a couple more.. Not really what I was looking for in reliability
The repo cable is a couple inches longer than the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	519657   Click image for larger version

Name:	cable6.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	519658   Click image for larger version

Name:	cable4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	519659  

Old 09-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ugh. That's too bad it failed so quickly. Looks like maybe it just wasn't crimped on tight enough? Any chance of a refund or replacement from the place you purchased it from?

I'd like to see a solid answer to this question too. Who knows where the good cables come from these days?

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 09-07-2019, 09:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Pontiac View Post
Ugh. That's too bad it failed so quickly. Looks like maybe it just wasn't crimped on tight enough? Any chance of a refund or replacement from the place you purchased it from?

I'd like to see a solid answer to this question too. Who knows where the good cables come from these days?
Your problem is being caused by missing ground cables/straps going to your engine. When the grounds are missing the shifter cable ends up trying to be the ground. Because of the high resistance in the shifter cable heat is generated and it drys out the plastic part. Unless you fix your missing engine/trans grounds you’ll keep frying shifter cables.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've seen that as a potential problem posted, but my grounds are all new braids and attached good

Old 09-09-2019, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my opinion, the foreign made cables aren't very good. My first had tear separations at the seam on the rubber and seemed to want to buckle the cable when shifting as it sat. The second replacement came with the rubber having a bubbled defect and pinholes in it. Third is on it's way. Apparently the more costly original GM style is no different except for a metal band where the nylon zip tie holds the rubber on.
The tranny can be shifted easily with minimal force to different gear selections by hand.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well know issue with repop cables unfortunately. The length in your case is not an issue, as long as the ends are correct pull/push distances.

So, technically, an original GM one is a good choice, are about $100 a pop, and you need to hope somewhere along the way it didn't get swapped out by a repop, be it the source itself, or GM changed suppliers.

Shiftworks has cables made to their' specs. They are extremely durable, smooth operating, and last a long time. The only thing with them is they are adjustable, and you have to adjust them at time of install. Not that big a deal, but some don't like that. $77.

https://shiftworks.com/collections/cables

You can look at their' tutorial on the construction of shift cables to give you an idea what to lookout for when shopping.

If you are not clear on the source of your bracket on the trans pan, you may want to pick one of those up too. May consider using their selector bracket too, but if you are using your backdrive, not sure they have one that works.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for link I ordered the $77 one as it says it made in USA and has very good push pull strength I got 30" one measures same as my original Ill try it and see how it does

""The Shiftworks cable has great flexibility with a bend radius of 2 inches, a load rating of 80 lbs. of push and 120 lbs. of pull, adjustable bulkhead connectors, stainless cable, non-booted modern dry sweep design, and is easier to install as a result. All cables have 2 1/2 inches of travel.""

""Shiftworks Cables are made in the U.S.A.""

Old 09-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update

Received and installed the Shiftworks Cable

It does have the adjustments for the locks and its very easy to install. Tried running thru gears and worked good for that

Will road test soon.
Seems very well made and strong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shiftworkscableA.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	520171