The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2020, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Finally feel like I am making progress

Thought I would share an update, as progress pics from others have helped me stay motivated over the years.

The body work phase of this restoration has felt like an epic challenge and it is through sheer stubbornness (and maybe a lack of common sense) that I have not quit. I have literally spent 10 full years on the metalwork and bodywork phase, while a restoration shop would probably take only part of a year.

My goal from the start was to do everything myself (except the engine machine work), and that's what I have done so far. While the metal work part was fun and enjoyable, the bodywork part has sucked. I have made a ton of mistakes. Spent a ton of time and money on products to sand panels back to bare metal and start over, and have finally got things where I thought they should be before attempting to paint.

To start seeing the final colour on panels is such an accomplishment for me, and while I still have the body and front end to do, I feel encouraged. Especially rewarding is looking at the panels in the light and seeing that the million hours of block sanding was, in fact, worthwhile and did really work as advertised!!

One thing I now realize, is that learning to spray SPI epoxy has been a great teacher, as it is somewhat fussy to apply properly and in all honesty, I found applying the paint to be significantly easier. (Probably helps that I have shot at least 4 gallons of primer before taking a chance on paint!)

I sprayed SPI epoxy as a sealer reduced 25% (later reduced 33% as found it easier to get correct), then after 2 hours I shot R-M UNO-HD single stage in original Cardinal Red. Applied 2 coats on backside of trunk and doors, and 4 coats on exterior of trunk and doors. I wanted the extra film build so I could colour sand any dust or mistakes. I have a few small fisheyes and some light orange peel so think this was a good call. (A test on spray out cards showed 3 coats was full coverage, and I think I am actually applying a bit more paint on the panels than I did on the cards.)

Overall I am very, very pleased with the outcome so far. No major boo-boos, no runs (one slight sag on rear valance), and orange peel got better as I increased fluid setting and got more comfortable with the gun (Devilbiss GFG-670). Man that gun is nice and fast...I have been using a Devilbiss FLG3 for priming panels or painting small parts, and the GFG is just awesome in comparison. I bought it 5 years ago just for final paint and wish I had used it before now!!

Anyways, enough rambling. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_122804_resized_1.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	546864   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_122833_resized_1.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	546865   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_122919_resized_1.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	546866   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_180129_resized.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	546867   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_180149_resized.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	546868  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...