Old 08-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fried engine harness (I think)

I think I know the answer to this but figured Iíd check with the experts. I had to remove the alternator from my Ď70 today (to access fuel line) and during reassembly I pinched the wire loom between the alternator bracket and intake. When I went to put the negative battery cable back on, there were sparks everywhere and smile started drifting up along the loom down to the starter. Ugh. My question is:
Can I repair the engine harness by simply cutting off the part that got pinched or do I need to replace the entire harness?
Not sure if it shows up very clear in the photo but there is copper showing in the red wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I had the carburetor, baby, cleaned and checked
with her line blown out she's hummin' like a turbo-jet
Old 08-11-2019, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would expose the harness and take a good look at it.....I would repair it, if it seems to be just that area.....
But I would solder the repair joints no butt connectors.....then shrink tube each repair joint...then tape over it...
If it's the original harness then it may be time to replace it wires do become brittle after 40 years.....
1973 400/461,1972 Intake SD CNC'd, 1977 Q-Jet 800 CFM w/ Cliffs Kit,Tanks Inc PA4 255 Walbro intank pump ,-8an feed/return,RobbMc Regulator,RobbMc 40 micron filter,253 CFM 6x-8's w/H.S 1:5 Roller Rockers,SD Stump Puller H/R Cam 230/236 @.050 112 lobe separation 565/.570 lift,Crower Solid Rollers,28150 Hedman Headers,
3" X Pipe,350 Turbo,9.5" 3200 stall Converter,3:42 gear,8.5 posi,C/E slide-a-links,Koni adj frt shocks,Best 12.18@110.55 Lookin for 11's
Old 08-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. It is a newer M&H harness. About 7 yr old. Maybe 1000 miles on it. I noticed that the tar wrap appears to have white residue on it all along the way harness back to the starter. Is that from heating up too much when I connected the battery?

Also, do you think I damaged my starter solenoid?

Old 08-12-2019, 05:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like you pinched the alt wire, shouldn't be any starter related damage. Unrap the harness covering & check how far the burned section is, as the other poster said. If the copper wire is not burned or fused, it can probably be taped up [ insulated ] & re-used. Depends how long the juice was applied, smoke may just have been the insulation smoking, no wire damage.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Geoff. Iíll do just that. Unwrap it for a section and see how much damage Iíve done. I guess I get to wear a dunce cap now.