Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-14-2021, 02:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Who has had a Tremec tranny installed? Questions and problem with local installer

Let me start with my problem, I’ll try to keep it short as possible.

Second week of November 2020, I met with a local Tremec installer, Pro Motion Performance Powertrain (Fort Lauderdale, FL), owner's name, Walt. On December 9th, 2020, I gave them a down payment of $2800, to order the Tremec 5 speed. Walt told me he would call me when he’s ready for me to deliver my GTO to begin work. Between the dates of Dec. 9th, 2020, and Feb 1st, 2021, we spoke 6 times; usually, it was me calling Walt for an update of when he can begin work. I called Walt on Feb 12 and I said, “Walt, the last time we spoke was Feb 1st and I’m calling for an update of when you can start work on my GTO”. He took offense to my question. Our phone call was brief, it did not go well and my problem remains unresolved. So this company may or may not do this install. I could possibly lose my $2800. This could end up a legal matter.

So, I need to find a reliable installer. If I have to ship my GTO out of state for a reliable installer, I’ll pay the cost. I don’t think Tremec will sell a ready-to-to transmission to ordinary people. So how did you Tremec tranny owners have yours installed? Being that my GTO is an automatic on the column, the work to install a standard shift is probably beyond my mechanical ability in addition to lack of time and space.

Also, Pro Motion Performance does not do the actual install. They do whatever they do to the tranny and then send the car to a nearby shop and this shop does the actual cutting of floor pans and installation of the tranny.

I need suggestions please. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’d call Kevin Oeste at the V8 Speed and Resto Shop.

www.v8speedshop.com. They’re in Red Bud, IL just outside of St Louis. They do outstanding work.

314-783-8325

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Qball For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2021, 02:49 PM

You can order a complete set up with everything you need from American Powertrain, Modern Driveline, etc. I would look at the new TKX that just came out recently. It should fit without any cutting which would make the install much simpler. Just find another local shop you trust to do the install.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear of the issues you're having. I've installed 4 Tremec transmissions in customer's Pontiacs over the last few years and I'm located in Jacksonville. I'll send you a PM with my contact information if you want to contact me.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs

Last edited by Gary H; 02-14-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's no reason why you should have to forfeit the $2800 you paid for the transmission. Either they give you the transmission, or they don't and refund your money. Otherwise, Tremec transmissions get installed into GM A-bodies every week of the year. It isn't rocket science, and you shouldn't need to ship your car out of state to get it done. There is are lots of speed shops in Florida, and likely many that have experience with Tremec swaps.

Sorry this happened to you, though. I hear this same story fairly regularly, where shops say they'll do something and then they don't. Mostly I think it just boils down to poor planning and communication from the shops. My brother recently had to recover his '39 Ford project from the body shop after they sat on it for over 8 months.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 02-14-2021, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After researching the three major transmission suppliers (two of which were listed above) I went with Silver Sport Transmissions. Their sales price was substantially better and I feel their kits were better thought out - but we all have our own opinions. I've installed two Silver Sport supplied Tremec TKO-600's into two 1967 GTO's and they were straight forward installs. No cutting but did use the air hammer to dimple the tunnel where the corners just barely touched the sheet metal. Sure sounds like the TKX should be a bolt-in with no alterations at all in a '67.

Looks like Gary H. is only three hundred miles away from you and I'd be giving him a call right after you cancel the current transaction that definitely has gone sour.

Also, my trans was shipped two days after I placed the order.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree with others here. The current shop/transaction has gone sour and your car hasn't even rolled in yet. I can't imagine how badly this deal is going to go from here if you stick with them. One way or another, get your refund or the transmission as a carryout and find a new shop to install. It's been 3 months and all they have done is take your money so far.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks to all for responding so quickly. I just now had a nice talk with Gary (above, post 4). Gary has been on this forum since 2002 and has the sub-title "Ultimate Warrior"; so he's most likely reliable and trust-worthy. Also, being in Jacksonville, this is 4.5 hours north of where I live. So, I could put my GTO on a truck and dropped off at his workshop. I'll give my current guy another 3 to 4 weeks and I think I'm being more than fair. If this has to go to court, I'm somewhat confident a judge would side with me. I may not get all my money refunded, but, I have to get this car done; I'm getting old. (-:

Old 02-14-2021, 04:32 PM

Another shout out for SST. My buddy got his Tremec from them. He was real happy with their pricing and customer service.

The Following User Says Thank You to JLBIII For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2021, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope you put it on a credit card,if so get them involved.Tom

Old 02-14-2021, 06:21 PM
Suspended

I'd say you are being impatient. The shop seems to have a good review rating and a Facebook page with a number of followers.

With Covid and the slow down of all things, he may have to wait for the Tremec to arrive. If the post office can't seem to deliver mail on time anymore due to Covid, and parts suppliers can't seem to ship parts out because of back ordering, maybe it isn't Walt who is holding up the ball. I have parts on order for my '68 Lemans that still are on back ordered from last November. I'm not going to dis OPGI because they can't supply the parts because they can't get them from the supplier and then cancel the order and go elsewhere. Just the way it is right now.

Videos seem to show a small shop, so no doubt he may have a line-up of work and you just have to wait your turn. If the shop is good, then a lot of people want their services and a long line of customer back-ups are expected.

He could have your transmission in tomorrow, and then take 3 months to get it installed if he has that much work.

What time frame did he say he would get your car in and what time frame did he say you would have it? If you did not ask this, shame on you.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everyone is slow right now, and yes, everyone blames the beer virus.

Can't tell you how many things I've had to wait on this past year, some of it lost and reordered, but most of it just late.

I'm still waiting on a Hughes 4L80E that I ordered back in November. It's the same story I've heard everywhere, there are a few key parts they are having trouble obtaining and it's slowed up the build process for everyone, not just mine. Just to add, I ordered the converter from another supplier around the beginning of January. I just got a tacking number for it today. It'll be here tomorrow. I've ordered converters in the past from the same place and had them at my door in a week before this whole virus garbage started. It's just the way it is.
It would not surprise me in the least bit if Walt at Pro Motion is dealing with the same thing, especially with the higher strength alloy gears he uses in his builds.

Florida has some of the more laid back lock down restrictions, and that's fantastic for you guys, but it doesn't stop parts supply problems that come from other parts of the country, or even out of the country.

Hopefully it works out but unfortunately it appears to be one of those deals of just being patient. Especially since this order also ran over some major holidays.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 02-14-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:50 PM
Senior Chief

Used SST also. Silver Sport was east to work with and did it myself on my 67. Had to cut the tunnel. Wish I waited for the newer one but the Trans is great. It just took a little time to dial in the bellhousing. I got it to .002 TIR.

The Following User Says Thank You to 428goat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2021, 08:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a tko 600 from apt right before COVID and had a great experience. Shipped fast and they guided me on everything I would need. Recommended an installer near me that did a great job. The car sleeps in 5th on the highway now. Can’t believe how much better the drive experience is now. Granted, not a cheap project, but worth it.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
With Covid and the slow down of all things, he may have to wait for the Tremec to arrive.
This is a fair and valid point, and I agree that some more info from OP would be helpful to paint the full picture. However, from my experience with various large scale automotive projects over the years, many of these frustrations could be easily mitigated by simply telling customers what is going on. Can't get parts due to supply chain hiccups? Let the customer know and chances are they will be fine waiting. But leaving customers in the dark and not providing updates when you say you will is something that I don't put up with anymore. Communicating what's going on and fulfilling obligations is something that I have to provide to my colleagues every day in the professional world, and I expect the same from a business I'm paying money to. Fortunately, it's pretty low bar and it isn't that difficult to find someone who will keep their customers/clients informed.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 02-14-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

JLBILL: Good info on SST, customer service means so much to me.
Tom S: Yes, I always use a debit or credit card.

PontiacJim1969: Good point you brought up. Maybe I'm the problem. This is why I came to this forum, for "advice" and "constructive criticism"; I'm perfectly OK with this. That said though, a 12-day span went by as I stated above (Feb 1 to Feb 12) with no contact from Walt (Owner of Pro Motion). ZeGermanHam mentioned this above. I would be OK with one phone call per week to keep me updated. Walt and his company have $2800 of my money. In Walt's defense, his sister developed a sickness over this time which he explained.
FormulaJones brought up a good point that many shops are slow right now. Seems like a good thing but maybe they can't get parts.

Being a Registered Nurse, I have a responsibility to make sure the patients understand the therapeutic and side effects of the meds I'm giving them, or more recently and abundantly, explaining how we are treating them for the Covid virus. I just want to understand why I give a down payment of $2800 and 5 weeks later, they still are not ready for my car.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:18 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimib View Post
JLBILL: Good info on SST, customer service means so much to me.
Tom S: Yes, I always use a debit or credit card.

PontiacJim1969: Good point you brought up. Maybe I'm the problem. This is why I came to this forum, for "advice" and "constructive criticism"; I'm perfectly OK with this. That said though, a 12-day span went by as I stated above (Feb 1 to Feb 12) with no contact from Walt (Owner of Pro Motion). ZeGermanHam mentioned this above. I would be OK with one phone call per week to keep me updated. Walt and his company have $2800 of my money. In Walt's defense, his sister developed a sickness over this time which he explained.
FormulaJones brought up a good point that many shops are slow right now. Seems like a good thing but maybe they can't get parts.

Being a Registered Nurse, I have a responsibility to make sure the patients understand the therapeutic and side effects of the meds I'm giving them, or more recently and abundantly, explaining how we are treating them for the Covid virus. I just want to understand why I give a down payment of $2800 and 5 weeks later, they still are not ready for my car.
$2,800 was to purchase the transmission - that's business and business sense. Can you image if 5 customers came in to your shop and said, "Hey, I wanna put a Tremec in my car. Call me when the transmission and parts are in." Do you honestly think the shop owner is going to shell out of pocket for 5 Tremec transmission only to find that 1 of the people was serious and the other 4 were dreamers - or didn't check with their wives first?

I sure as heck would not order the parts on my dime. You are going to pay for parts and/or materials up front and then wait until they come in. Then I am going to call you when they do, and let you know when to bring your car to the shop. I also don't want the responsibility of your car sitting on my property for 2 months so someone can steal it, take parts off it, or damage it because my garage is a working garage and not a parking garage.

The owner, or Walt, is not going to call you each week with an update, "Nope, trans isn't here yet," and then listen to the disappointments, complaints, or even threats to go elsewhere to speed him up. I have often found if you use tact, and build a little relationship bridge with the shop, they can be a little more open to your calls, or personal visits, every couple weeks. They WANT your money and your business. Quality costs and you may also have to stand in line for it and simply wait it out until your car is next. Have you ever had to wait in line and take a number at a top notch and popular restaurant? If the food and service is that good, you are willing to wait and you don't go there with the intention of complaining about the wait because you know it'll be worth it and everyone before you and everyone after you is also going to have to wait.

Just be patient. If you rush him, he may indeed slap the car together real sloppy just to get you off his back and then when you have a bunch of problems, well..............

Old 02-15-2021, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have bought 3 Tremics and my card was not charged until it was shipped!Tom

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OP
I have followed this rule for most of my life... go with your gut feeling. If something doesn’t seem right, it probably isn’t.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just installed, test fit a Silver Sport Temec in a 1970 Formula. NO mods at all. Great customer service.