Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-10-2023, 11:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question A/C bracket with Edelbrock aluminum heads?

A friend of mine is putting Edelbrock aluminum heads on his '69 400 and the center head bolt bosses are taller than the others so he can't use the stock head bolt with the stud for the rear a/c compressor mount. He has new ARP bolts for the heads which actually have longer bolts for the centers. But of course they don't have the stud for the bracket.

I told him to call Edelbrock Tech Support and see if he can have those bosses machined down. Has anyone else come across this and what was the solution?

1930 Ford Model A Coupe .. (original)
1994 Buick .."TowMaster" ...woody wagon
Old 10-10-2023, 11:32 PM
Suspended

Is he able to modify rear compressor bracket instead? I'm not sure what they look like on a '69 without searching.

Old 10-10-2023, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The '69 A-body bracket attaches to the underside of the head near the valve cover and doesn't use the head bolts. Might be an option.

There's an upper bracket that attaches to the intake manifold and triangulates with the compressor, but I don't use it on my car. Just this bracket and the big cast aluminum to hold the compressor.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0879.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	621443  

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 10-11-2023, 03:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
The '69 A-body bracket attaches to the underside of the head near the valve cover and doesn't use the head bolts. Might be an option.

There's an upper bracket that attaches to the intake manifold and triangulates with the compressor, but I don't use it on my car. Just this bracket and the big cast aluminum to hold the compressor...............
Exactly this. The '69-up iron compressor mount has its compressor mounting location in the same place as the earlier head bolt-mounted one, and the E-heads have the bolt holes to hold that '69 bracket. Also this way, you can use the ARP head studs as intended without modification.

This is what I have on my '66 GTO with E-heads.

Old 10-19-2023, 10:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you for the replies.

The bracket in question though, is the rear adjustment support as seen in the attached illustration. Not the circled triangle ( hey I "borrowed" the pic from eBay ), but the stamped steel bracket that it attaches to as seen above it to a head stud.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ac brkt GTO .jpg
Views:	71
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	621912  

Old 10-19-2023, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmm, I don't have that bracket going to the center head stud with my setup. Maybe it's missing on my car or they added it in later years.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3206.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	621922  

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 10-20-2023, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC View Post
Thank you for the replies.

The bracket in question though, is the rear adjustment support as seen in the attached illustration. Not the circled triangle ( hey I "borrowed" the pic from eBay ), but the stamped steel bracket that it attaches to as seen above it to a head stud.
That rear adjustment support you cited must have started in '69. The earlier cars didn't have that.

I've been using the '69 iron compressor bracket without the rear support for the past 30 years or so without issue, if that helps your decision.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Thank you for the replies and photos.

He called Edelbrock and found that the tall bolt bosses were just for looks and he can mill them down. So he took it to a local machine shop to do that to the one boss and installed the bolt w/ stud. Problem solved!

Now the next issue are with the Edelbrock intake. Which required a later style offset "Y" bracket for the compressor top rear support which he has acquired. Then there's the choke stove of which he has found an electric divorced choke kit.

I just laughed and told him "yeah, the trials and tribulations of aftermarket. I still find it hard to believe you wanted to do this to your otherwise all original Judge".