Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-18-2020, 05:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default shocks

I know that the 1967 GTO is kind of squaty in the rear. I know that this is the way they came. But it looks more like you have loaded the trunk with concrete bags. So what if anything do any of you do to raise up the rear end of the car. Not way up just to level out the car.

Thanks
alan

Old 07-18-2020, 06:27 AM
Senior Chief

New springs and its an easy job.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

New springs or air bags to go inside the existing springs.

Back in '95 I wasn't happy with the tail dragging look on my '64 - even though I had put all new correct springs in during the process of a frame off. I ordered a custom set of springs from Coil Spring Specialties and asked for .75" over stock ride height. That is EXACTLY what I got.

When I said air bags above, I did not mean air shocks either. This is what I'm talking about:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...waAgC9EALw_wcB

Old 07-18-2020, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sagging of that level is going to be the springs.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 07-18-2020, 11:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://mcbayperformance.com/passeng...s-trucks-suvs/ Just installed some of these spacers and got rid of air shocks. Works well and maintains the good ride of the original springs.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:05 PM
Boost Engineer

I put the "AIR LIFT" bags inside my rear springs and set up the air supply so that I could even out the ride height with different air pressures. Worked great for many years.

When I was about finished with the University in the 70s, we had a power black-out over the campus. So the dorm had no food. So I offered to take several of the women to the local mall/grocery stores. Turned out 14 women piled in the vehicle with the top down plus me. Made it there and back but the following week I noticed one air bag would not longer hold air. Replaced both bags. Only issue I ever had with the air bag system. Hey whats an extra ton of weight over the rear axle. I drove very slowly too.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go with springs, the air bags are a nuisance. They will rebound when you hit bumps and the bags have very much air in them, I only used them to load the right side when I was drag racing. I did have them on both sides, and I ran them with various pressures. I think they say the lowest to run them is 4 psi or they can get caught in the spring. I ran 10-20 on the right and 5 on the left.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmay0 View Post
I know that the 1967 GTO is kind of squaty in the rear. I know that this is the way they came. But it looks more like you have loaded the trunk with concrete bags. So what if anything do any of you do to raise up the rear end of the car. Not way up just to level out the car.
FIRST, measure the ride height the way GM specifies. Find out how much the springs have sagged.

Then buy replacement springs that achieve TWO important qualities: Static ride height, and dynamic ride quality.

Tall, soft springs, and short, stiff springs may put the static ride height at the same place--but the car will ride and handle VERY differently. GM almost always uses tall/soft springs, and the cars handle poorly because of it. Good for Grandma's bad back, though.

Keep in mind that the "A-body" rear suspension is sensitive to ride height, too high and traction goes away in great-big "bunny-hops".

Old 07-19-2020, 03:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never understood why Pontiac liked the squatty tail, but it was their fault and not springs that sagged later on. I had my new '67 GTO less than a week when I went down to the local NAPA and purchased 1" blocks for the rear. When I drag raced with slicks that were large enough to be a problem I went with 2" blocks under the springs. The 1" blocks maintain the stock ride and the car sits good -- but, putting a bunch of gear in the trunk along with an easy-up and asking a couple of friends to come along was beyond the stock springs. I removed the blocks and went to air bags. While they do serve their purpose well for carrying extra weight, the compression isn't linear and while the ride is fine on the flat, any larger bump or dip confirms just how much the airbag hardens up. If I didn't need the extra load carrying capacity I'd go back to the blocks under my stock springs or a new set of +1 springs.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I still have all four of the original springs in my '64 GTO. It has always sat just fine. With the stock tires (all the same size) the car sat level. I did order the heavy duty suspension, but everyone says that is just shocks, not springs.

Old 07-19-2020, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Never understood why Pontiac liked the squatty tail, but it was their fault and not springs that sagged later on. I had my new '67 GTO less than a week when I went down to the local NAPA and purchased 1" blocks for the rear. When I drag raced with slicks that were large enough to be a problem I went with 2" blocks under the springs. The 1" blocks maintain the stock ride and the car sits good -- but, putting a bunch of gear in the trunk along with an easy-up and asking a couple of friends to come along was beyond the stock springs. I removed the blocks and went to air bags. While they do serve their purpose well for carrying extra weight, the compression isn't linear and while the ride is fine on the flat, any larger bump or dip confirms just how much the airbag hardens up. If I didn't need the extra load carrying capacity I'd go back to the blocks under my stock springs or a new set of +1 springs.
Have you ever considered variable rate rear springs in lieu of air bags? Variable rate springs will allow for a normal ride under "normal" load conditions, but the spring rate then ramps up as compression increases. There are pros & cons to linear rate vs. variable rate, though.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 07-19-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I put the "AIR LIFT" bags inside my rear springs and set up the air supply so that I could even out the ride height with different air pressures. Worked great for many years.

When I was about finished with the University in the 70s, we had a power black-out over the campus. So the dorm had no food. So I offered to take several of the women to the local mall/grocery stores. Turned out 14 women piled in the vehicle with the top down plus me. Made it there and back but the following week I noticed one air bag would not longer hold air. Replaced both bags. Only issue I ever had with the air bag system. Hey whats an extra ton of weight over the rear axle. I drove very slowly too.

Tom V.
I'm sure there is more to that story! My record is 9 in a trans am..

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471