THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Tempest View Post
This is a question for the OP.. how should we be driving?

I have 500hp at the right foot and it's fantastic!!! But staying at 120+ on the highway is tough. Getting a statey on your butt will almost cost your license. I drive 80MPH all the time on the highway and get passed!!

One thing I have noticed more so now, I'll be in center lane doing 75-80 and someone will ride right up to me. Not sure if it's trying to see the car type or what. But I'll downshift from 5th to 3rd and be gone!!

So my answer is I drive hard when I can. Waze app on phone is great to say when cops are a foot, but going that fast in a VERY conspicuous car might not have time enough to brake!!!
I'm not telling anyone how to drive. I asked a question. If you like to putz around at 10 MPH below the speed limit, that's fine (annoying to everyone else and even dangerous, but fine), but I don't understand why you would buy or build a car who's sole focus is to go fast to do that.

I never said that anyone should drive in an unsafe manner on a public road. You can go to the local drag strip or road course to use your vehicle to its limits. Note that my original post also made note of Jeeps and such that are seemingly built to take on any off road obstacles, yet never leave the road. Or guys that buy huge trucks with great hauling ability... and they never haul anything. Neither of those has to do with unsafe driving on public roads either.

Some people got damn offended by this thread... as if I had insulted them.

I think if you go out and buy a Hellcat just to drive around on the street is pointless. There is no situation in which you can use that power to even a fraction of it's potential. However, I have friends that take them to the track and run into 10s with them. That makes sense to me. To have one just so you can brag about the power you'll never use, well...

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 10-25-2017, 06:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

well, I can show you how NOT not to drive on the street. A car coming out of a driveway, a dog running across the street, a kid on a bike or a skateboard, a kid running after a ball. People like this kid have what we call a absence of imagination.

Lamborghini Launch Control Reaction Compilation - YouTube

▶*3:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ABYD7hFKJw

Old 10-25-2017, 08:26 PM

On the highway, I usually stroll...with my gears I'm doing around 3k RPMs at 60, so I don't like to wind it up too much just to get from point A to point B. On backroads and coming off idle, I like to let it rip, as long as it's safe and no cops around. I take the kids out on the weekends and they love it when I do a nice burn out for them. :-)

Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
well, I can show you how NOT not to drive on the street. A car coming out of a driveway, a dog running across the street, a kid on a bike or a skateboard, a kid running after a ball. People like this kid have what we call a absence of imagination.

Lamborghini Launch Control Reaction Compilation - YouTube

▶*3:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ABYD7hFKJw
... and his passengers still can’t take their eyes off their damn cell phones!

Old 10-25-2017, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bredfan View Post
On the highway, I usually stroll...with my gears I'm doing around 3k RPMs at 60, so I don't like to wind it up too much just to get from point A to point B. On backroads and coming off idle, I like to let it rip, as long as it's safe and no cops around. I take the kids out on the weekends and they love it when I do a nice burn out for them. :-)
I had to read this post twice to check if I wrote it or not! LOL

469, M21, 3.42

Old 10-25-2017, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
I'm not telling anyone how to drive. I asked a question. If you like to putz around at 10 MPH below the speed limit, that's fine (annoying to everyone else and even dangerous, but fine), but I don't understand why you would buy or build a car who's sole focus is to go fast to do that.

I never said that anyone should drive in an unsafe manner on a public road. You can go to the local drag strip or road course to use your vehicle to its limits. Note that my original post also made note of Jeeps and such that are seemingly built to take on any off road obstacles, yet never leave the road. Or guys that buy huge trucks with great hauling ability... and they never haul anything. Neither of those has to do with unsafe driving on public roads either.

I think if you go out and buy a Hellcat just to drive around on the street is pointless. There is no situation in which you can use that power to even a fraction of it's potential. However, I have friends that take them to the track and run into 10s with them. That makes sense to me. To have one just so you can brag about the power you'll never use, well...

well in that case, i drive it like i'm supposed to...

Anyone know of any deserted roads in 27705?

The Burb Files
Old 10-25-2017, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

Makes no sense to me why you would own more than one car. That and .25 gets me a really ****ty cup of coffee. Point? Don’ worry about my car and i wont bitch about your Cars, even that really awsome “vert”....

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 10-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

You must be fun at parties.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 PM

Default I drive this one at full throttle pretty much all of the time.....

1956 VW panel van - top speed around 50 mph, lots of fun to drive!

Thirty-six horsepower and uses 'em all.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:48 AM

Default I SEE RED

Quote:
I can relate. There is no sneaking around in this one! It's especially hard for me to be restrained behind the wheel- It handles great and it's so fun banging through the gears... and with a 3.08 rear, it's moving along pretty good when I wind it up!

It's not a myth, I get followed all the time by the law.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0625_1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	466206  

Old 10-26-2017, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
1956 VW panel van - top speed around 50 mph, lots of fun to drive!

Thirty-six horsepower and uses 'em all.
I have to admit here is a certain level of fun in driving an air cooled VW, especially in bus form.

My wife is often nostalgic about the baby blue VW Beetle she drove as a teen. I have offed to buy her one just like it, and she replies that its more fun to be nostalgic about the Bug than to actually drive one.

BTW, love the plate!

Old 10-26-2017, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only fast car I have left is my 69 Lemans vert and I drive it exactly the way I intended when I built it. I didn't get too radical with the engine (maybe 400 HP) and kept the exhaust quiet. That way I can do stoplight blasts without attracting too much attention (its very traction limited anyway). As for speed, 75 MPH on the interstate is plenty fast enough for a car that is almost 50 years old. It steers and handles very good considering the old-tech suspension but no reason to try to keep up with today's cars around corners.

Big gripe- I haven't hardly been able to drive it this year. They are doing major construction on the road just outside my neighborhood and all the entrances are all dirt, mud and gravel. I don't like driving my classic through that muck. Maybe they will get it paved again by 2019?

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 10-26-2017, 07:13 AM

People call them "verts" because they can't spell "convertible".

Old 10-26-2017, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

I have trouble spelling definitely.

I do agree with the spending of money. My inlaws get the fastest Acura every other year as a lease and they drive soooo sloooowwwww.. Just get the cheap engine!! You never even let the turbo spin up!!!!

Peeps spend booku bucks and putz around. I think the law would leave us muscle car peeps alone if the 89hp Honda Civic with a loud exhaust KNEW how to drive.

The Burb Files
Old 10-26-2017, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbucket View Post
Not that I can't spell, just too lazy to type out the whole word.
It's an added bonus that saying 'vert pisses off a certain type of person.

Speaking of 'verts- That's another thing... why buy a 'vert and then never put the top down? I see people all the time, driving around in their 'vert on the most perfect sunny day... and the top is up?

Old 10-26-2017, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Not that I can't spell, just too lazy to type out the whole word.
It's an added bonus that saying 'vert pisses off a certain type of person.
That's me, Jeremy

My top is never up until winter, and winter here in Georgia is short. Driving an open-top car hard just adds to the exhileration (fun) factor!

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 10-26-2017, 09:56 AM

I drive it the way it likes to be driven! There's something special about leaving your signature at will, making people smile and give .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	POCI 024.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	466234   Click image for larger version

Name:	POCI 044.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	466235  

Old 10-26-2017, 10:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbucket View Post
And they don't know what that red line ( spell check ) is for on many misspellings.
I do like the definition of Vert though.

Definition of vert
a :green forest vegetation especially when forming cover or providing food for deer
b :the right or privilege (as in England) of cutting living wood or sometimes of pasturing animals in a forest
:the heraldic color green

Last edited by U47; 10-26-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=GTO TEX;5802442]I drive it the way it likes to be driven! There's something special about leaving your signature at will.

That's what dogs do on Hydrants too.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
This is something that has always puzzled me- I see a car, whether it came from the factory or was hot rodded, that is built for speed, and it's just putzing down the road.

I just came back from a cruise in my Lemans 'vert on this beautiful, unusually warm October day, when I came upon a C7 'Vette... it was on a long straight, driving 10 MPH below the already stupid low posted speed limit. I kept thinking he was setting up to blast off, but no... he kept driving slower than my Grandma used to drive. I know 'Vette guys are notorious for this, but there are so many out there. Last week I saw a winged and spoilered Shelby Special Edition late model Mustang with minivans and Prius and such backed up in a big line behind it.

It's not just performance car guys either, there are so many custom, lifted, big tired, fender flared,LED Lite barred, etc, etc. Jeeps running around here now that will never, ever see anything more than a gravel parking lot. And then there's the guys in the big diesel trucks that never put anything in the bed, let alone pull a trailer.

I guess some guys just need to have the bragging rights that they could do something?
well if 69 firebird 400 4speed cars were built for cutting donuts, running endless quarter mile passes on a back road using a g-tech, racing my buddys 6-pack road runner endlessly, then yeah I use it for what it was designed for