Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 10-31-2017, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good thread and timely. Now that I have the 455 going, the inherited system on car with Flowmasters is wayyy too loud. I may try the Dynomax Turbo as recommended here. Rest of system is nice pipe and going to hopefully change out mufflers only (?). Has X pipe.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:04 AM
Senior Chief

I went through trials and tribulations too, when searching out a muffler for a built 455. I am using Pypes X-Pipe with a pair of DynoMax Ultra Flo Welded p/n 17222. Really happy. No drone, not loud but loud enough.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

my experience with race pros with virtually the exact same combo but different cam.. sounded wicked with my 3" x-pipe and turn downs right before the axle but got annoying in certain driving situations so right before a long trip to a car show in new jersey I went and had 3" tail pipes installed. Nice idle but sounded like garbage under any throttle. raspy like glasspacks. the minute I got into town for the car show I found a local shop to remove tail pipes. it was that bad. from there flowmaster 3 chambers which were a predictable sound and now hooker straight thrus for the turbo with the same tail pipes and they sound great. heres a clip of the race pros with turn downs. awesome sounding but pissed my neighbors off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGiy_itsXPY

Old 11-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran the Goerlich Xlerators on the last config and really liked them. They are louder at WOT than the Super Turbos, but very close to same at under 3000k. I liked the fact that they were louder at WOT in some ways, and am on the wall if I'm going back to them. I plan on spending more time on trips in the car, and with the windows down, the Super Turbos are the best.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-12-2017, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
I plan on spending more time on trips in the car, and with the windows down, the Super Turbos are the best.

That's pretty much where I'm at these days. And since the OP started this thread asking about his convertible, it really becomes an issue. We drive 90% of the time with the windows down (sold the convertible) and we drive them daily, so exhaust sound levels are more critical for us than they used to be 30 years ago. Or maybe we are just getting old, lol.

I simply can't do dumps in front of the axle on anything anymore. Last car I had like that would set off car alarms at the grocery store just idling up and down the isles. My head can't take the drone inside the car anymore either. Everything here has to have tailpipes.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Started with Race Pros. Too loud for my taste although they sounded wicked at idle. Running VT’s now. Love them but understand they may be no longer available?

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 11-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A little noise is a good thing, keeps critters out of your path. 2 weeks ago in my ranger beater truck, deer darted back and forth in from of me, and right as I was beside it, it darted 'back', and ran into the side of the bed.

In that thing, I never took my foot off the gas, and never hit the brakes. Girl that was with me freaked, and couldn't understand why I wasn't shaken. I have like maybe $2500 in that whole truck. That's why.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-12-2017, 03:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
That's pretty much where I'm at these days. And since the OP started this thread asking about his convertible, it really becomes an issue. We drive 90% of the time with the windows down (sold the convertible) and we drive them daily, so exhaust sound levels are more critical for us than they used to be 30 years ago. Or maybe we are just getting old, lol.

I simply can't do dumps in front of the axle on anything anymore. Last car I had like that would set off car alarms at the grocery store just idling up and down the isles. My head can't take the drone inside the car anymore either. Everything here has to have tailpipes.
funny how that happens. had my race pros with turn downs in my earlier 20s and loved setting off peoples alarms or cruising in center city with the drone off the skyscrapers. that video says 06 so I was 24! seems like yesterday but best thing I did to my car was tail pipes and 3.42 gears with the 700r4 it cruises just below that drone rpm. once I get mine back together ill post a vid but with the turbo and dual 3" muffler and tail pipes its incredibly quiet

Old 11-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ogpsj462 View Post
funny how that happens. had my race pros with turn downs in my earlier 20s and loved setting off peoples alarms or cruising in center city with the drone off the skyscrapers. that video says 06 so I was 24! seems like yesterday but best thing I did to my car was tail pipes and 3.42 gears with the 700r4 it cruises just below that drone rpm. once I get mine back together ill post a vid but with the turbo and dual 3" muffler and tail pipes its incredibly quiet
Yep, I've found that once tailpipes are done, it really comes down to the muffler choice to really hone in on the noise level you're looking for. Or vice versa....

If that's not enough for me, lately I've also been adapting stock sized tailpipes onto the performance 2 1/2" or 3" systems. I find this tones it down just a bit more and it's not that much of a performance hit that far back in the system.
Did this on our 69 Z recently. The 2 1/2" Pypes SGF70 transverse system was just still a bit too loud. Transverse muffler choices are limited, and not adaptable to the Pypes configuration anyway. So I pulled off the 2 1/2" tail pipes and installed a set of factory 2" tail pipes, not only does that give the car a stock appearance out back, but it made the noise level just about perfect. Still makes noise on the gas, but the level inside the car is very comfortable. Standing in front of the car it's pretty quiet, standing behind the car it has a nice rumble. So it doesn't draw a lot of unnecessary attention.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a video of my 1978 Trans Am with a 461 and Dynomax Ultra Flow 17229 mufflers, 3" mandrel exhaust with Dr. Gas X-Pipe, and Pypes 3" tailpes.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3DqLBfQMaCs

Old 11-16-2017, 04:14 PM
Senior Chief

manifolds or HO manifolds, 2.5 pypes system with X pipe and custom 18 race pros on both my 66 and 67 GTOs with built motors. can hear the fan spin at full throttle almost and can hear music and talk on this set up. if I could fit the 18" on my 68 FB Vert I would. it has flowmaster on it now and its too loud but the 16" case is all that fits in there running dual mufflers. Race pros are normally 14inch I think so it makes a big difference. Although I am sure if I had headers with the system it would get considerably louder.

CURRENT CARS
68 Firbird 400ci convertible
Old 01-10-2018, 11:42 PM
Senior Chief

I had PYPEs 2.5" XPipe with the Street Pros. Awesome idle and cruising sound. But the drone on highway drove me nuts. Picked the Dynomax VT's from searching this forum, I love them. Same idle, great sound at all speeds.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whenever I see this inquiry in the future I will just post a link referencing Jim and Tom Hands work in their book. It is real world testing that includes measuring of sound and flow.

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....p/exhaust.html

Last edited by ponchjoe; 01-11-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've mentioned using smaller tail pipes quite a few times in threads like this to reduce some of the noise level. I've done this a few times with good success.

What's interesting in that test, and what I've been saying, is that the smaller tailpipes aren't hurting performance "that" much, and what performance it does hurt, that test shows it can be picked right back up by removing the "H" switching to an "X" pipe.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto65lvr View Post
if I could fit the 18" on my 68 FB Vert I would. it has flowmaster on it now and its too loud but the 16" case is all that fits in there running dual mufflers.
I mentioned this in post 8. When we had our convertables we preferred them pretty quiet. Otherwise top down driving was miserable.

On the F-bodies, I prefer the transverse systems. Can't fit the larger dual mufflers under the car all that well, and the transverse systems not only provide better ground clearance, but have decent sound control. Todays aftermarket transverse systems perform just as well as dual muffler setups now.

Another benefit to the transverse setup, is that the tailpipes are very short, maybe 18" and they don't go over the axle, yet installing smaller factory style tail pipes has a decent effect on the noise level without hurting the performance. I've done this on the Pypes SGF70 transverse system with good results. I also like the Thrush/Dynomax transverse system as a much cheaper and slightly quieter alternative.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dynomax 17749 Super Turbo.

H pipe.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
Whenever I see this inquiry in the future I will just post a link referencing Jim and Tom Hands work in their book. It is real world testing that includes measuring of sound and flow.

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....p/exhaust.html
What I find interesting and I think some people miss, is that those test were done with a single muffler.

Makes me think that almost any decent dual system should flow well enough for the street/strip set-ups most have.

Murf

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

Old 01-11-2018, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
What I find interesting and I think some people miss, is that those test were done with a single muffler.

Makes me think that almost any decent dual system should flow well enough for the street/strip set-ups most have.

Murf

That was only the first test. After that he went back to a dual muffler setup to test his tailpipe and crossover pipe theories.

If you look at the ET's and MPH's, the single muffler had a very drastic affect on the car. It only ran low 13's at about 102 mph.
When the dual mufflers went back on the car it was running mid 12's at 108 mph.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Reading comprehension isn't my strong suit.

ETA, I went back &looked again. It still looks like only 1 ten & 1 mph difference between open & 1 Dynomax muffler. Am I reading this wrong?

Last edited by Murf; 01-11-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Reading comprehension isn't my strong suit.

ETA, I went back &looked again. It still looks like only 1 ten & 1 mph difference between open & 1 Dynomax muffler. Am I reading this wrong?

Those blocks are very small for me on my screen but I'd say yeah you're seeing that right.