Old 02-22-2005, 04:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

David,

If you look on the 'car billing history' sheet PHS sent you, there's a bunch of info on it, like invoice date, label price, the VIN, invoice amt, and so on. In the third row, about in the middle of the form, is a box that says 'engine unit no.'. This is the 'engine number' we've been referring to. Mine is six digits long and it corresponds to the number that's found above the letter code on the passenger side of the block.

Jeff,

I always thought the 62s were only available on the Grand Prix. However, the second McCarthy book says that 62s were available on YS coded '69 GTO engines. They were also available on certain 330 horse Firebird engines.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GH68, I didn't seem to get a car billing history in my package. I've emailed PHS to see if I'm missing something. The only info specific for my car in the package was the dealer invoice. No reference or place for a block serial number in my info. Maybe they can fax it to me? This has been interesting for me. Thanks guys.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Motor Unit Number is the number of the engine cast for that year.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

David, that "Car Billing History" sheet is the one that I found my dealer code on. It has info like the list price and various charges to the dealership. It's a short sheet, ie. Like the width of a normal 8-1/2" x 11" but only perhaps 1/3 as high. Mine was stapled to the front of my package.
If you haven't found it by tonight and no one else does it, I can scan mine showing the motor unit number.
BTW, I called Boomershine and the guy thought they might have a bunch of those tag surrounds...."somewhere". Promised he'd look if I call him back in the morning.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

johnta1, so your saying there was 800,000+ pontiac v8's made just in 1969? I tried google to see if I could find total 1969 Pontiac sales, but couldn't find it. I would think maybe 300,000-500,000 or so.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, I'd like to see your scan if you could, because I couldn't find my engine # on my phs documents either. Jeff

Old 02-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg if you could scan that sheet it would be great. I don't remember anything like that in my package. Don't hold your breathe on the tag surrounds. I imagine he forgot as soon as the phone hit the receiver........
Thanks, David

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

David & Jeff,

Here's a copy of my billing sheet.

The 'engine unit no.' area is pointed to. There's a lot of info on the sheet. If you look to the right of the engine no., you'll see the exterior and top color in the next column, followed by the trim color. Right after that are the option codes. The whole fourth row is option codes as well.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Goathead beat me to it but here's mine anyway now that I've gone to the trouble...
Notice the "Engine Unit Number" matches the one in the photo I posted on the first page of this thread. Also of interest are the various charges, list price as opposed to invoice amount, etc.
The row of boxes across the bottom with numbers in them correspond to the numbers on the "Options and Accessories" sheet. The single digit number in the box denotes a particular choice from the Options and Accessories sheet.
For instance "45" on the Options and Accessories list has a choice of wheels. The "3" on my Billing History denotes "Rallye II".
"71" and "72" marked "PC" denotes "G 70x14 Red Wide-Oval" on the Options List.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

gh68, I just get the dreaded box with the red x on yours. Greg, yours came through. That is just too cool. David, don't know about you, but I didn't get that with my PHS docs. I got them from PHS back in 1993, so maybe these come with the newer ones?? If you email them, let me know what they say about that billing history sheet. Also, anyone else noticing a pattern here?? All of our engine #'s start with 08 (hmmm,for 8 cylinder??) So, if you elimanate the 08 from the front of ours, Greg's 5/68 engine is 8529, my 6/69 is 13165 and David's 7/69 is 41486. Maybe we're getting closer.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well 69gtocv, I know you can't see Goatheads attachment but it kinda blows the theory. His engine number starts with 19.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmm, how come you can see it and I can't? And that does blow the theory. When I get home tonight, I'm going to go out and look at my 68 Lemans and see what the engine serial # is on it. It's a 350.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 69gtocv:
Hmm, how come you can see it and I can't? And that does blow the theory. When I get home tonight, I'm going to go out and look at my 68 Lemans and see what the engine serial # is on it. It's a 350. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I changed the address. If you're on dialup, it may take longer too. Here's the URL; click on the link: http://orbitorange.net/images/billinghistory.gif

Here's the car it's attached to: http://orbitorange.net/carpage.htm

Jeff, I got my PHS stuff in '94. I used it to confirm the fact that my car was indeed a GTO. They got the packet to me in less than a week.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gh68, I'm at work, so maybe there a block going on, but it says that web page is unavailable. I even tried just going to http://orbitorange.net. I'll try from home later

Old 02-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gh68, or if you have it available to send via email, try sending it to jandsmoritz@comcast.net. I'd like to see it.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 69gtocv:
Gh68, or if you have it available to send via email, try sending it to jandsmoritz@comcast.net. I'd like to see it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's on its way. subject line: my billing sheet.

Ken

Old 02-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys are first class! Thanks for all your effort. My packet, which I got in December 2001, did not include the car billing history. I emailed PHS this morning and haven't received a reply. I included a link to this thread in my email. 69gtocv, why don't you also email them and link to this thread. Hard to understand why some info packages contain this sheet and some don't. Maybe I'll hear from PHS on Wednesday. Thanks guys! I called Pontiac Dudes place this afternoon and they may have my heads done and put together by Friday. My cam is in (hyd roller, special "Dude" grind ) I'm interested in the date code on the heads, to see how they fit into this deal. I'll bet they match the intake.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David, are you able to see Ken's attachment? If not, I can forward his email to you when I get home. Did you include your vin again when you emailed PHS? I'll wait to see what they reply with before I bug em. Jeff

Old 02-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

15 minutes til Miller time! Don't you hate it when works interfer with your surfin!

Old 02-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Senior Chief

This was really good reading but now I'm confused on my build sheet. The engine number shown in the PHS documentation is "000000". I had always assumed the engine number was decided after and they just grabbed one on the assembly line and stuck it in after stamping the VIN on it hence the "00000". My car was made in Framingham. Does anyone know why a 000000 was used?

Thanks,
John