Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default are rear shoulder belts avaliable for a 67 gto

hi, i bought some front shoulder belts off morris classic concepts for my 67 gto but they dont make rear shoulder belts, does anyone know of any available are they made anywhere?.....thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not that I've seen. A few of us have found them but from cars parted out. Mine are from a 68 A-body and came from Canada.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

I think they are optional. I will check the PHS on my coupe. Of course it was stripped when I got it, but I seem to remember the PHS saying it was checked off for rear seat belts as an option

Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Senior Chief

I have seen rear shoulder belts put into some other cars of this era. It involved cutting into the rear package tray and welding in a bucket where the retractor would be installed. The bucket was then tied to the rear wheel well housings with reinforcement steel. If I can come across more info with pictures I will post it up.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclesamscandy View Post
I think they are optional. I will check the PHS on my coupe. Of course it was stripped when I got it, but I seem to remember the PHS saying it was checked off for rear seat belts as an option
Yes they were an option from the factory, or the dealers could install them. I was told at one time, and the Restoration Guide on Page 23 also says, that a hole in the bottom of the data tag on the firewall means the car is identified as having a shoulder harness... a factory installed provision. Others however say no, it's not neccessarily so. Other than my GTO I've not seen any in my area that have shoulder belts, but I have seen a couple that have the hole in the data tag.

I've owned 3 66 GTOs. My first had them when I bought it in 1970. Matching color to the turquois interior, and the hole was in the data plate. My 2nd GTO in 73 had no hole and no shoulder belts. This GTO I have now has the hole but there were no shoulder belts when I got the car, and I'm the 3rd owner. Note too the car's headliner was replaced. It is possible however that the shoulder belts did come with the car but were never put back in, but I have no proof of that being true or not. The 66 Tempest Custom I had in 1972 did not have shoulder belts or the hole in the data tag.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"

Last edited by GT182; 02-26-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

But the question was "are rear shoulder belts avaliable for a 67 gto".

I don't think they were. But I was wrong once, just can't remember when that was. HA.

Charles

Old 02-27-2012, 02:23 PM

I believe Charles is correct (of course). The hole in the data tag indicated front shoulder belts, which were an option. The 67's had the shoulder belt mounting bracket installed whether or not you had shoulder belts.

I have the factory info on installation of the front shoulder belts for a 66, but I have not seen anything that indicates the existence of rear shoulder belts. The front shoulder mounting bracket is so far back, I can't imagine where you'd put the bracket for a rear shoulder belt.

Dave

Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thanks for all the info but i am not really concearned if they were optional or factory etc, i dont think they were , only front were optional i think, point is i just wanted to know if anyone has designed and made sets for the rear, morris classic told me they are going to design some but it may be a long time till they are ready for market, i can get some custom made by local engineers here so no problem, i was just wondering if some company out there has already got them ready to go, it seems not, thanks....

Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Rear seat shoulder belts were NOT an option available in 1967 GTO.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC AULL View Post
Rear seat shoulder belts were NOT an option available in 1967 GTO.
Rear seat shoulder belts weren't an option in any Pontiac car that I know of for our era of Pontiacs. Maybe the late 90s they might have started, but I've no idea if that's true or not? I haven't been in a new Pontiac since 1993 when we hauled the last Firebird's out of Canada, when they closed our Anchor Mtr Frt terminal in Champlain, NY.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 04-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Senior Chief

Ok I said I would post if I ever came across more info for you to get your seat belts installed in the back seat. Looks like I found something for you. Check it out.

http://www.andoauto.com./deck.htm

Old 04-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO View Post
Ok I said I would post if I ever came across more info for you to get your seat belts installed in the back seat. Looks like I found something for you. Check it out.

http://www.andoauto.com./deck.htm
fatfree...thanks thats great i never did find any rear ones so i will check this out, i did get some excellent ones for the front from morris concepts, i do have a company here that said they will custom make a rear set but these may be much more easy and definately less cost, i'll let you know how i go if i buy a set.....thanks

Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Senior Chief

I too got the Morris front set, I should be installing them pretty soon. Did you get yours installed yet?

These look interesting because there is no welding involved apparently... Hope it works out for you!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I too got the Morris front set, I should be installing them pretty soon. Did you get yours installed yet?

These look interesting because there is no welding involved apparently... Hope it works out for you!
yes installed the morris set myself, very very easy took about half hour nothing to it, the shoulder strap sits a bit close to your neck but not much can be done about that, its all in that roof mounting point position, i bought a set of pontiac pads off ebay to help take the edge off the belt sitting near neck, they look cool , now onto the rear....

Old 04-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Senior Chief

I wish mine were going to be that easy. I have the early 66 model which doesn't have the mounts in the roof so I have to add them. I've been avoiding doing it, lol.

There is a guy with a chevelle who made some guides up for his belts to help the rubbing issue. He has headrests though which you would need to have for his setup...

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249383

Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I wish mine were going to be that easy. I have the early 66 model which doesn't have the mounts in the roof so I have to add them. I've been avoiding doing it, lol.

There is a guy with a chevelle who made some guides up for his belts to help the rubbing issue. He has headrests though which you would need to have for his setup...

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249383
yes well no headrest to mount off, but i bought pads with pontiac logo off ebay, they look good and they make the belt feel fine its no issue now, all good, thanks

Old 05-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Reviving this because I'm looking into installing 3 point belts in the rear seat of my car.

It appears Morris Classic Concepts now offers belts for the rear. The specify Camaro and Firebird but I wonder if they might work on an A-Body as well?

http://www.morrisclassicconcepts.com...ge%20Three.htm

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Reviving this because I'm looking into installing 3 point belts in the rear seat of my car.

It appears Morris Classic Concepts now offers belts for the rear. The specify Camaro and Firebird but I wonder if they might work on an A-Body as well?

http://www.morrisclassicconcepts.com...ge%20Three.htm
i asked morris about the rear, they said they were looking into it but did not know when they would have them available, that was only a few months ago, maybe they did it ? seems quick might be worth giving them a call...

Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just heard from Morris that they are still in the works for a-bodies. I'll be keeping tabs on the progress as I'm not super thrilled with the appearance of Andover's offering.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
Just heard from Morris that they are still in the works for a-bodies. I'll be keeping tabs on the progress as I'm not super thrilled with the appearance of Andover's offering.
andovers might be fine, but i will also wait for morris i feel if they make them they will be correct and fit properly.....could be a long wait though