Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-18-2020, 08:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Cam removal

I am changing cams. How do you take the cam gear off. I have taken the fuel pump cam off. Will I have to take the crank gear off also.

Thanks

Greg

Old 01-18-2020, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The cam gear will pull off, you might need to lightly pry the gear off as it’s a fairly tight fit and keyed onto the cam. Yes, you will also need to slide the crank gear and timing chain forward as well while pulling the cam gear off. Sounds more complicated than it is.

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 01-19-2020, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When you go to actually take the Cam out it's very helpful to put the Cam gear back on some to help you to guide the Cam out without nicking the Cam Bearings if your going to reuse them.
I always use a claw hammer under the left and right side of the Cam gear and you then will walk if right off in 15 seconds or less!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 01-21-2020, 10:31 AM
Senior Chief

I like to screw a long bolt into end of cam, to aid leverage to get cam through cam bearings.

I call it a rat sleeper.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some body types you might need to remove the core support down brace, in order to have enough room in front of the engine. You can't 'turn' the cam around a corner, it has to come out straight.

You definitely need to remove the radiator, and if you have AC, you may have to unbolt the condenser and tip it out of the way to get enough room in front of the engine to get the cam out.

Gear on the front works OK, but really, once the front is out of the block, you can easily grab the cam and carefully walk it past the bearings. 'Handles' add more length, and once you get to a certain point, you would have to remove it anyway.

The gear should slide right off, you can grab the gear with both hands, and use your thumbs on the cam snout to push it apart. You need to take the gear off to get the retaining plate off, so again, I feel it's a wasted step.

If the gear is really stuck on the snout of the cam, maybe because it's a high mile block that sat a long time, then you can take the eccentric off, load the cam slightly forward and hold it, and tap on the snout of the cam.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be