Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-26-2018, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Has anyone used CVF racing serpentine systems? - brought on by an unusual issue.

I've been wanting to upgrade to a serpentine pully system for a while, but would rather avoid spending $3,000 on a March kit that I think is too "shiny" anyways.

Someone on the forum here mentioned CVFRacing, and they have a nice kit that doesn't require a new power steering pump or alternator for under $600. I figured I'd see if anyone has experience/tips.

I'll probably give it a try in a few days. As with many things, my upgrades come after things break. I took a nice 120 mile cruise in the Pontiac, and noticed that the lights were getting dim on the way home. Under the hood, I found that the plentiful Pontiac torque had sheared one of the studs that held the alternator in place clean off. We rode the 30+ miles back home on a tow truck.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Bolt.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	498732  

Old 11-26-2018, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had there set up for a while. There are pro and cons to everything, but for the money I was happy. You might have to shim some things to get the belt line perfect. I do not have power steering or a/c either.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:16 PM

I have that kit on my 73 bird. When I ran #12 heads and needed something that would not take the typical alternator location as the heads did not have that bolt hole. Anyway now run KRE heads and the system works great on both. I bought the full kit with pulleys etc. I did a good write up on my build thread at Firebirdnation. The vendor was great to work with and helped me out when the smaller kit did not initially work. He sent me at no cost the upgraded kit. Thats when I documented it and gave him props.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:05 PM
Senior Chief

Aren't you missing the steel bracket that supports the front of the alternator? With no support on the front side, the load from the belt will be putting side force on that bolt causing it to break like it did.

Unless you really want serpentine, I think all you need to do is get the correct front bracket and a new bolt.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
Aren't you missing the steel bracket that supports the front of the alternator? With no support on the front side, the load from the belt will be putting side force on that bolt causing it to break like it did.

Unless you really want serpentine, I think all you need to do is get the correct front bracket and a new bolt.
I have the front bracket - When I took this picture, it was loosened and angled up and out of the way so I could remove the alternator. The tow truck placed the car in my driveway - I had to get the belts out of the way so I could fire it up and park in the garage. Everything stayed aligned while I was driving, but I couldn't get it back in place after I started loosening things during an attempted parking lot repair.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would repair the bolt and put it back like it was. I think these belt systems are way over priced, and I dont like any without a Auto Tensioner.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I run their full serpentine kit including A/C, on my 69 goat, never had any issues installing it, went on perfectly, everything lined up, and its been on for 2 years now trouble free.
I also run my car hard on week-ends, car often sees 5000rpm in third, I cannot fault their setup at all!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1584.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	498771  

Old 11-26-2018, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzmann View Post
I run their full serpentine kit including A/C, on my 69 goat, never had any issues installing it, went on perfectly, everything lined up, and its been on for 2 years now trouble free.
I also run my car hard on week-ends, car often sees 5000rpm in third, I cannot fault their setup at all!
I see that you have hydro boost also. What ps pump are you running? I’m not sure my current one will work with this setup. (No stud in the lower right on the back - I have a hose there.)

Do you think the lack of an auto-tensioner is a big deal?

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
I see that you have hydro boost also. What ps pump are you running? I’m not sure my current one will work with this setup. (No stud in the lower right on the back - I have a hose there.)

Do you think the lack of an auto-tensioner is a big deal?

Thanks.
Hydro boost was without doubt the best upgrade ever! I already had the correct pump on the car, which was just a original pump but have since replaced it with a shiny one I then added the extra outlet so I could get rid of the tee piece, but it did work fine with the tee piece.
I don't think the auto tensioner is missed at all, the turn buckles give me all the tension I need, and like I said, I run my engine at high rpm at 120mph and never had my belt slip.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:26 PM

Also running the Hydroboost--such a great improvement. This is what the CVS system look like, could not find a closer pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3534.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	498774  

Old 11-26-2018, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I’ve had hydroboost for four years now, and love it.

I’ll call them tomorrow to make sure my ps pump will work with their kit. Their site seems to say that only one kind of pump will work - but that doesn’t seem to be the case if it works for you guys. (my pump has 3 hoses coming out of it.)

Old 11-26-2018, 10:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Yeah, I’ve had hydroboost for four years now, and love it.

I’ll call them tomorrow to make sure my ps pump will work with their kit. Their site seems to say that only one kind of pump will work - but that doesn’t seem to be the case if it works for you guys. (my pump has 3 hoses coming out of it.)
I do believe GM used two different types of p/s pumps, and remember CVF only worked with one, which I was lucky enough to already have. If you need a new one, they sell them as well.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought there V belt setup because I got a really good deal on a manufacturer coupon my nephew got for buying a ford setup. It looks like quality pieces and it recommended the power steering pump I didnt have so I got one from them. I cant remember who it was but someone on here said their power steering pump was awesome so I bought one.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:39 PM

I bought the CVF conversion a few months ago. Overall happy with it. Biggest issue I had was that the recommended belt was too short. I had to get one that was about 1 inch longer from Napa.

Also I bought their ps pump. It is a nice looking unit. But, the kit doesn't even mount using the lower right stud they mention so my original pump would have worked too.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzmann View Post
I do believe GM used two different types of p/s pumps, and remember CVF only worked with one, which I was lucky enough to already have. If you need a new one, they sell them as well.
From the photos, their pump only has 1 tube coming out. MIne has two; plus an additional hose screwed into the back. I had someone set this up for me, so I'm not really sure how it all works. Hopefully they can be of some help. I left them a message an hour or so ago, and am waiting to hear back.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked closely at the picture with you pointing at the bolt. The lower nuts appear to be on and tight. There is a lower bracket missing that goes in front of the p/s bracket that has three holes in it and it supports the front of the broken bolt. In the picture it looks like some rubbing took place due to the bolt flexing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181127_121801.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	498837  

Old 11-27-2018, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at your photo, and the rear bracket is different than mine. (Firebird/A body difference?)

At any rate, I went ahead and ordered the kit. Although the CVF site says that there MUST be a mounting stud in the rear right of the PS pump, the rear bracket is adjustable, and - it turns out - that spot isn't even ideal. Their customer service says that there are other rear brackets available if the first one doesn't work.

I'll let you all know how it goes, and will post pics. Thanks, all, for your help!

Old 11-27-2018, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know if it will help at this point but I have a CVF PS Pump for sale. it wan't part of the Serpentine system but is brand new.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...M1MjA4R3N5UkV3

Here is my thread/post
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...5&postcount=19

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 11-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbirds View Post
I looked closely at the picture with you pointing at the bolt. The lower nuts appear to be on and tight. There is a lower bracket missing that goes in front of the p/s bracket that has three holes in it and it supports the front of the broken bolt. In the picture it looks like some rubbing took place due to the bolt flexing.
Exactly, and good catch.

Yes, the bracket/strap that goes on the front of the alt is missing, and all those series brackets use that strap. You should not have just a bolt thru the alt going directly into the rear bracket, there's no support on the front of the alt and it's going to stress that. That's what made the bolt snap.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's only one bracket that I'm aware of for setups with PS on pre-70 setups.

Here's a pic of the bracket setup, and the factory exploded diagram.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20Pontiac.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	498905   Click image for larger version

Name:	68GTOps.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	498906  

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be