Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default spare tire

I'm planning to cruise on the last leg of the Power Tour this summer. It crossed my mind that I don't have a spare tire or jack for the 64 Tempest.

One thought was the can of fix-a-flat. I have never used these before. don't even know if that stuff works.

Or just take a plug kit. I already plan to take the cigarette lighter plug in air compressor. The plug kit has saved me on one other vacation trip.

Throw a full sized tire on a Ralley II rim and throw it in the trunk but I want to maximize space since I'm going to take the whole family.

Just get a year of AAA. That would just be a tow to a garage, right? I would still be screwed since this would be over Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

Get a space saver spare and scissor lift. This seems to be my best option. Do space saver spares come in a 5x 4.5 bolt pattern?

Last edited by rohrt; 01-21-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
One thought was the can of fix-a-flat.

Just get a year of AAA.
I've used fix-a-flat for 20 years - it works good. For blowouts/flats caused by bent rims, I'll call AAA. They send a tow truck and the guy will change your tire where the car sits. Not very helpful if you don't have a spare, though.

If you want to maximize room, I'd go with a fix a flat and a mini spare - if you can find one. Use AAA and don't worry about the jack.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure a 64 Tempest would have come stock with 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern.

They do make space saver tires in either 5 x 4.5 and 5 x 4.75 and would seem like a good option for your situation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Koontz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your tire guy will hate you if you use fix a flat.

Donut spares are only good for low speeds for about 50 miles.

I made the decision a long time ago with my toy cars that if I have a flat - I'll call for roadside assistance and have them flatbed my car in to get a tire.

I run different sizes front and rear. My rears won't fit on the front and my fronts are too short for the posi rear. Murphy's law says that whatever size I had in the trunk would be wrong anyway.

I think your idea of a plug kit and a mini compressor makes the most sense.

Assuming of course that your existing tires are in good condition (I don't run any tires past 7 years).

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to think the "Donut/Spacesaver" spare tires were only good for low speeds/short distances, but my experience with one has changed my opinion regarding them.

Back in the late 80s I used to work summers in PA and winters in Naples FL. During part of that time I had a Chevy Citation that came with a "Donut Spare". Since I was in Florida for several months I took a lot of stuff with me. The car was a 4 door hatchback and I had it packed totally full. The load was so heavy that if I pushed slightly on the rear bumper it would go to the suspension stops. I am sure it was way over its rated load capacity.

About an hour after I left Naples, I got a flat on the right rear of the car. I put the Donut spare on and drove about 50 MPH because I was concerned that the tire might overheat. After about an hour I stopped to check it and it was as cool as the other tires. I set the cruise control on 65 and drove the remaining trip home, approx. 15 hours. I only stopped for fuel/bathroom and each time I checked, it is was as cool as the other tires.

I drove over 1000 miles, at 65 MPH on a tire that was severely overloaded and the tire still looked like new when I got home.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 PM

You'll still have plenty of room in your trunk even with a full-size spare.

Your '64 Tempest originally came with 14x5" wheels (5X4.75" bolt circle), a 195/75-14 is the metric equivalent to the 6.50-14 that it came with originally. Not all that big and really not much bigger than one of the modern donut spares.

Put a full size spare in the trunk and you'll have peace of mind out on a long road trip. A cheap/free scissor jack out of the trunk of a boneyard import works great and is very small.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Koontz View Post
I used to think the "Donut/Spacesaver" spare tires were only good for low speeds/short distances, but my experience with one has changed my opinion regarding them.
When I was young and foolish, I drove a Honda Civic from Sacramento to Portland at 115 mph on a donut tire. We made Sacramento from LA in 4 1/2 and blew a tire there.

The speed warning is on there not because the tire isn't safe at speed - it's for the decreased traction/handling ability/braking that you end up with from the smaller contact patch.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
The speed warning is on there not because the tire isn't safe at speed - it's for the decreased traction/handling ability/braking that you end up with from the smaller contact patch.
Is that to say that the 4" wide tread on the donut spare doesn't provide the same traction and braking as my 9" wide tread on the rear or the 7" wide tread on the front...

Imagine that...

Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AAA basic Tow back to responding AAA facility or destination of choice up to 3 miles . AAA plus Tow back to responding AAA facility or destination of choice up to
100 miles.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I've used fix-a-flat for 20 years - it works good. For blowouts/flats caused by bent rims, I'll call AAA. They send a tow truck and the guy will change your tire where the car sits. Not very helpful if you don't have a spare, though.

If you want to maximize room, I'd go with a fix a flat and a mini spare - if you can find one. Use AAA and don't worry about the jack.
Does it actually fill the tire or just plug the leak? I would be impressed if it filled the tire.

Quote:
Pretty sure a 64 Tempest would have come stock with 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern.

They do make space saver tires in either 5 x 4.5 and 5 x 4.75 and would seem like a good option for your situation.
Sorry, I wasn't thinking yes 5 x 4.75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Your tire guy will hate you if you use fix a flat.

Donut spares are only good for low speeds for about 50 miles.

I made the decision a long time ago with my toy cars that if I have a flat - I'll call for roadside assistance and have them flatbed my car in to get a tire.

I run different sizes front and rear. My rears won't fit on the front and my fronts are too short for the posi rear. Murphy's law says that whatever size I had in the trunk would be wrong anyway.

I think your idea of a plug kit and a mini compressor makes the most sense.

Assuming of course that your existing tires are in good condition (I don't run any tires past 7 years).
I heard that about fix a flat. My question is it better then a plug kit? Will it seal a bigger leak?

Quote:

Back in the late 80s I used to work summers in PA and winters in Naples FL. During part of that time I had a Chevy Citation that came with a "Donut Spare". Since I was in Florida for several months I took a lot of stuff with me. The car was a 4 door hatchback and I had it packed totally full. The load was so heavy that if I pushed slightly on the rear bumper it would go to the suspension stops. I am sure it was way over its rated load capacity.

About an hour after I left Naples, I got a flat on the right rear of the car. I put the Donut spare on and drove about 50 MPH because I was concerned that the tire might overheat. After about an hour I stopped to check it and it was as cool as the other tires. I set the cruise control on 65 and drove the remaining trip home, approx. 15 hours. I only stopped for fuel/bathroom and each time I checked, it is was as cool as the other tires.

I drove over 1000 miles, at 65 MPH on a tire that was severely overloaded and the tire still looked like new when I got home.
That is a great story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
You'll still have plenty of room in your trunk even with a full-size spare.

Your '64 Tempest originally came with 14x5" wheels (5X4.75" bolt circle), a 195/75-14 is the metric equivalent to the 6.50-14 that it came with originally. Not all that big and really not much bigger than one of the modern donut spares.

Put a full size spare in the trunk and you'll have peace of mind out on a long road trip. A cheap/free scissor jack out of the trunk of a boneyard import works great and is very small.
We will see. I have 3 girls and a 2 year old boy. There will be 6 us in that car. That trunk is big but I bet we can fill it pretty quick.

Quote:
When I was young and foolish, I drove a Honda Civic from Sacramento to Portland at 115 mph on a donut tire. We made Sacramento from LA in 4 1/2 and blew a tire there.

That speed warning makes sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
AAA basic Tow back to responding AAA facility or destination of choice up to 3 miles . AAA plus Tow back to responding AAA facility or destination of choice up to
100 miles.
Great info on AAA.

Based on the great feedback from you guys I think I will for sure take the plug kit and air compressor. I will still look for a space saver tire and scissor lift.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

What else is good is that green slime that comes in a bottle you take the center of the air stem out and put that stuff in and air it up works great, I had a garden tractor that the tires would leak because of dry rot but the tread was like new but all cracked btwn, the tread from dry rot I used fix-a-flat alot and would hold hold up only a short time I added the green slime and I haven't added air in that tire now for going on 2 years. just my 2c----BOB

The Following User Says Thank You to ELKHORNAOG7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have also used the green slime and have found that it works well, but not for an unlimited period of time.

I used it in some small trailer tires and it helped seal up around the rim. After the tires were about 10 years old I took the tires off to replace them and I found that the slime had dried out and was like a thick gummy paste with a bunch of things resembling gumballs rolling around inside the tires.

Not sure when it changed from an effective sealant to crap, but it was less than 10 years. It may work well for 2 or 5 years, but it does not work forever.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I used it in some small trailer tires and it helped seal up around the rim. After the tires were about 10 years old I took the tires off to replace them and I found that the slime had dried out and was like a thick gummy paste with a bunch of things resembling gumballs rolling around inside the tires. .
It's not meant to be a permanent fix - you're supposed to temporarily fill the tire with that, then get it repaired at a tire shop.

Quote:
Does it actually fill the tire or just plug the leak? I would be impressed if it filled the tire.
Both. It wouldn't be worth very much if it just plugged the leak. (most people don't carry around compressors.)

I understand carrying around lots of stuff for the kids. 35 years ago, we did 5 adults and two kids in a two door for a long road trip - but that was a '76 Cadillac Coupe de Ville. 2 Adults and 4 kids (probably tougher logistics) is really ambitious with an A-body! I've only got 2 kids, and I'll rent a minivan for road trips. (and I'm about to throw in the towel and just buy a big 'ol SUV.)

Old 01-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
My question is it better then a plug kit?
A quality plug (Black Jack is one of the best) is a permanent fix. Any type of goop you put inside a tire is a temporary fix that may or may not last long enough to do the job.

Quote:
Based on the great feedback from you guys I think I will for sure take the plug kit and air compressor. I will still look for a space saver tire and scissor lift.
If you are buying a space saver spare - PLEASE DON'T get an old one from a scrap yard. By "old" I mean anything over 6 - 7 years. Tires deteriorate from age. They may look perfect, but be a rolling time bomb.

You're taking your wife and 4 young kids with you on this deal - don't try and cheap out and run the risk of a second tire failure due to an unsafe tire.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't had a spare in the trunk since, well, forever. Especially in the f body, just no room. I tow and buy a tire. Or two. In all the miles I've driven, I've only had 2 flat tires, one was from scraping a curb (drain plate), the other from debris. One time I bought one tire, the other time I had to buy 2 because they didn't have the tires I was running (and they were worn past a certain point). First one I had to spend the night at a motel, because it was like 2am. Luckily there was a motel across from the shop.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Why don't you see if u-haul may rent roof racks then you can put a full size spare in the trunk ---BOB

Old 01-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Senior Chief

Some insurance already has roadside assist. You may already be paying for it. Save you from AAA.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemans67 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans67 View Post
Some insurance already has roadside assist. You may already be paying for it. Save you from AAA.
I forgot about that. Yes I can turn tow bills into state farm. Also was able to turn one in when the kids locked the keys in the Van.

Again that may not help much if everything is closed over a weekend.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:05 PM

Waiting on the side of the road for assistance sucks.

Also dangerous, better to have a good full-size spare on hand.

You're back on the road in about 20 minutes, your family will be thanking you.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Waiting on the side of the road for assistance sucks.

Also dangerous,
Now that you've reminded me, I'll start preaching:

Don't be one of those idiots changing a tire at night with his ass hanging into the slow lane. Drive slowly on the shoulder until you find a safe spot to stop - exit the highway if possible.