Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2020, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Sooo tired of lousy braking and pedal feel!

Well I finally threw in the towel and ordered a vacuum pump as a fix for my hard pedal and unresponsive 4 wheel disc conversion. I've tried everything but stand on my head to get the brakes to feel like a "normal car" including swapping to a dual diaphragm booster from a Turbo TA. 12" of vacuum is 12" of vacuum and just doesn't cut it apparently.

I ordered a prewired, self-contained unit from Leed Brakes that utilizes a Hella rotary vane pump similar to what late model GM's are using. The maker says it completely replaces engine vacuum as the vacuum source though I plan on installing a T and check valve so the engine vacuum is available in the event of a pump failure and will probably add a vacuum storage canister if the pump volume doesn't keep up.

One interesting thing I encountered from dialog with multiple "techs" is the claim that "All you really need is a vacuum reserve canister ...". Am I the only guy that thinks "if 12" of vacuum won't operate my brake booster now, why would a larger reserve of 12" of vacuum be any better?"

Wish me luck because the next step will be a complete do-over as the car just does not stop like it should. Any ideas? The low engine vacuum has persisted through 3 different camshaft/intake/carburetor combinations. It is what it is.

I know someone will recommend a Hydroboost but that's not an option. I don't like the way they look on a classic car.