THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:20 PM
Senior Chief

Default My bonehead move of the day

I'm pulling out my steering column and needed to turn the wheel a little bit to access one of the nuts on the rag joint. My steering wheel was off already so I figured I'd just turn it with a channel locks since I didn't need much. I slipped off and broke my windshield!

Just thought I would share...not the first time something like this has happened and I'm sure not the last

Old 09-25-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmaster View Post
I'm pulling out my steering column and needed to turn the wheel a little bit to access one of the nuts on the rag joint. My steering wheel was off already so I figured I'd just turn it with a channel locks since I didn't need much. I slipped off and broke my windshield!

Just thought I would share...not the first time something like this has happened and I'm sure not the last

Ohhhhhhhh man! sorry to hear that, but stuff happens. Ouch!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 09-25-2019, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Groan!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 09-25-2019, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Channel Locks on a splined steering shaft? What, no Vise Grips?

Old 09-25-2019, 09:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Channel Locks on a splined steering shaft? What, no Vise Grips?
I still had the part on that presses onto the splined shaft and accepts the bolts for the steering wheel, so I couldn't get a vice grips on there. I didn't have a puller that would fit it either so I figured I would leave it on there for the time being and pull it later.

UGH!

Old 09-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Everyone has a "moment" at some point...
Doing a bathroom remodel, and my small nail gun quit. Had a block of wood which was slightly less than 1" X 1 1/2" lying on the new marble countertop. Figured I'd test it after messing with it, into what I thought was the 1 1/2" side, but it was the 1" side, and the finishing nails were 1" ! Guess what happened next?

Gotta say the wife wasn't real happy !

68 GTO
Old 09-25-2019, 10:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I feel for your troubles guys, but here I am thinking I am the only bonehead in the world. Patching up floor pans not thinking the sparks coming off the grinder could reach the windshield before they cooled. Ruined both the front and rear.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ

Last edited by tooski; 09-25-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did something similar. Was changing wiper arms on my truck. Leaned on the base of the windshield to try to pry the old one off. CRAAACK! You're not alone my brother.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
Did something similar. Was changing wiper arms on my truck. Leaned on the base of the windshield to try to pry the old one off. CRAAACK! You're not alone my brother.
Good to know that I'm not the only one.

tooski - yikes that is rough!

gtohunter, that does sound rough...I can about imagine the reaction from your wife haha

Old 09-26-2019, 12:00 AM
Senior Chief

Come on in, the water is warm...lol!

Years ago I removed my distributor and was doing something that required a 3/8-drive 3" extension. I dropped it in the vicinity of the back of the motor. Thought it may have wedged itself between the transmission and floorboards. Figured I'd find it once I drove it. Well, I found it later when the engine seized. The extension fell through the distributor hole. Broke a few parts, but not the extension...lol!

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 09-26-2019, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I really, really, really like about being older .... is being able to afford the blunders.

35 years ago I might go into a rage when I make a $1000 mistake, it could be a definite hardship. Now I will put my head down and groan a bit ... but also thank my lucky stars that it won't cause me to miss a payment or go into debt.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We’ve all been there. I don’t even know that I can narrow it down to a best of...

Old 09-26-2019, 01:33 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
One thing I really, really, really like about being older .... is being able to afford the blunders.
Luck you.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 09-26-2019, 03:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikin Mike View Post
Luck you.
Exactly.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I learned to take my time, enjoy the workout.

Driving to work in HSV AL and a hobo flatbed dropped gravel for a chipped windshield in the line of view. Common occurance in AL

So in YOUR case, try to find solace, or goodness in your pursuit compared to a fella dropping gravel off a flatbed.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I feel your pain. A couple years ago I loaded some 2x4s into our SUV. It looked like they were just long enough to fit if I propped them up on the dashboard. When I closed the back hatch, it pushed the 2x4s into the windshield and cracked it from the inside

I had just replaced the windshield about 2 weeks prior due some freeway damage.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 09-26-2019, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When things like that happen, I usually don't look at car for a week or a month, then we kiss and make up, and move on.

Dataway, I agree on the aging / proportional angst of bad incidents affecting me. I also think as you get older, you have seen so much bad mojo sheet in life that on the sliding scale of bad stuff, broken stuff is way below tragedies and evilness of fate at times.

On windshields, I had a rock break one 5 years ago. Got it replaced. 10 days later it happened again. Didn't last two weeks. My insurance didn't believe me at first. I had to explain life in Montana.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post

35 years ago I might go into a rage when I make a $1000 mistake, it could be a definite hardship. Now I will put my head down and groan a bit ... but also thank my lucky stars that it won't cause me to miss a payment or go into debt.
For me - it's not so much the money but the time aspect and the lack of closure.

It pains me to cross one thing off the list but at the cost of adding two more.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-26-2019, 11:00 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
I feel your pain. A couple years ago I loaded some 2x4s into our SUV. It looked like they were just long enough to fit if I propped them up on the dashboard. When I closed the back hatch, it pushed the 2x4s into the windshield and cracked it from the inside

I had just replaced the windshield about 2 weeks prior due some freeway damage.
Same here. Twelve foot lumber almost fits in a 2500 express van if you rest it on the dash. Almost!!!

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 09-26-2019, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's mine:

A friend of mine gave me this cabinet as a gift for helping her clean out her recently deceased husband's stuff. It had a broken clear plexi cover but other than that it was complete and intact.

I'd had it probably ten years and finally over this most recent Christmas break I gathered all the pieces I would need and made a new cover, and new foam around the edge, added some protective clear coating on the inside/outside and added a little piece of chain to keep the lid from flopping backward when all the way open.

Probably a week after that one of the garage door springs broke. I ordered a new spring and commenced to installing it and, while taking the mechanism apart, I dropped the pulley off the end.

Guess where it landed? Yep - right dead center in my new sandblast cabinet plexiglass cover. Broke it into three equally sized pieces of scrap. It was in a state of repair for a grand total of one week.

So - now, I have a new garage door spring and I'm right back where I started on the sandblast cabinet.

K

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandblast cabinet.JPG
Views:	619
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	520959  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926