THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Nor Cal Earth Quake

Very large quake in the Napa area.Hope all our no cal members are safe.Have a friend in Napa that lost his well water tank of 3000 gal,his road is tore up and cant get out.No electric either.Best to all up there.Tom

Old 08-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Arrow

Didn't even feel it here in Gilroy (at least it didn't wake me up) but we're 90 miles away. Press is reporting some fires and damage in the Napa area.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We're up in Sacramento for the weekend and didn't feel a thing last night. Looks pretty bad from what I'm seeing on the news. Have a few friends up there, sounds like they are shaken up but alright. I used to work in downtown Napa years ago. Saw my old building on TV with the windows blown out.

I'm not hearing any damage reports for my area (35mi SE of Napa) but I'm sure a few things were knocked off the shelves at our house. Will get back home this afternoon and see how things fared.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 08-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My friend owns the GMC dealer in Napa,not sure when he can get out to even get to it.T

Old 08-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Senior Chief

Question

Member Bill H. is up in Concord. Power's out in the area, guess we'll hear from him soon.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I felt it first thing. woke me up but took a second or two to realize what was happening....it just kept rolling along for what seemed like forever but in reality it was maybe 15-20 seconds. no damage around here but Napa & Vallejo got shook pretty good.....strongest one here since 1989.....

Old 08-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My son's home is in Santa Rosa, he said it rolled him out bed. Said it sounded like and fled like a car ran into his kitchen. Little damage nothing major.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjay View Post
My son's home is in Santa Rosa, he said it rolled him out bed. Said it sounded like and fled like a car ran into his kitchen. Little damage nothing major.
We checked in with a friend in Santa Rosa this morning by phone and she said essentially the same thing.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My son was born and raised in Southern Cal. He was here for Northridge quake in the 90's said this was worst, real hard shake then a lot of little ones. We are lucky that this was in the Napa area and not in SF or Oakland or we would be looking at major damage and maybe some deaths

Old 08-24-2014, 06:18 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

While up in the hospital with my wife, I swear I heard on the TV there was a big one in Japan and South Carolina as well. Did I make that up in my mind or did that happen too?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

15-20 seconds is a long time. I remember when the Loma Prieta quake hit. I kept waiting for the rolling to stop, but it kept going. Usually, by the time we process the fact that it's an earthquake, it's over, but not that one. I slept through this one (I'm in Folsom), I hope everyone is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbirdta View Post
I felt it first thing. woke me up but took a second or two to realize what was happening....it just kept rolling along for what seemed like forever but in reality it was maybe 15-20 seconds. no damage around here but Napa & Vallejo got shook pretty good.....strongest one here since 1989.....

Old 08-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
15-20 seconds is a long time. I remember when the Loma Prieta quake hit. I kept waiting for the rolling to stop, but it kept going. Usually, by the time we process the fact that it's an earthquake, it's over, but not that one. I slept through this one (I'm in Folsom), I hope everyone is okay.
I had time to look out our picture window and see our concrete driveway with waves like the ocean. We're 15 miles from the Loma Prieta epicenter; that was quite a ride.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Senior Chief

Hope everyone out that way is OK.
Steve, I'm pretty sure Japan had a similar quake, but it was a couple of weeks ago.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We're fine in Alameda. No damage

Old 08-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
i know i laid there for about 4 or 5 tic's on the clock not sure if this was happening or not, then sat up on the edge of the bed for at least twice that long while it kept rolling waiting to see if it was gonna stop or keep on going. it defiantly had some staying power... i was driving during Loma Prieta, about 15 minutes off the Bay Bridge (work in S.F.) and never did feel it, but did feel several of those after shocks, some of which were pretty sharp/strong.....

Old 08-25-2014, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm glad the human toll was no worse than it was.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
I had time to look out our picture window and see our concrete driveway with waves like the ocean. We're 15 miles from the Loma Prieta epicenter; that was quite a ride.
You're reminding me of a Beach Boys song...Catch a Wave...unfortunately

Thank You Lord, for the protection you provided!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
I witnessed that one time years ago. I was in a large concrete floor building. The quake was 6.5 and the floor was moving just like looking at waves in the ocean. From the way it looked I was amazed that the concrete didn't crumble into dust.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will Lot make it out with his wife & daughters?

Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Long as he does not check the rear-view.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress