Old 04-25-2024, 11:52 AM

Default Pulleys

Do these pulleys look Right? 67 GTO, I added a third pulley to the crank to accommodate Classic Auto Air.
Man, I sure hope they’re right!
Thanks
LET

Old 04-25-2024, 12:00 PM

Default Forgot to add picture

Picture of pulleys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1644.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	632613  

Old 04-25-2024, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The first pulley grooves look aligned, but it's impossible to tell if the 2nd grooves are aligned due to the angle of the photo. To ultimately confirm proper alignment, you really need to have your power steering pump, alternator, and A/C compressor all bolted up.

It also appears that your water pump pulley is a larger diameter than your crank pulley. On cars with A/C, it's my personal preference to use a water pump pulley that is appreciably smaller than the crank pulley so that the water pump is overdriven, which is how many A/C cars came from the factory. Overdriving the water pump gives you a better chance of keeping the engine cool. Having the water pump pulley be the same size or larger than the crank pulley means it's either spinning at 1:1 or even underdriven (not ideal).

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 04-25-2024, 02:18 PM

They are approximately the same size. I actually looked for a smaller water pump pulley, and couldn't find one! Know where i can find one for67 gto?

Old 04-25-2024, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my '66, I am using pulley set for late 1969-70 GTO with A/C & PS, along with a water pump with 4.5" tall hub. This provides a nice overdriven WP ratio. It took me a bit of time to sufficiently research and verify all of the different pulley numbers and then find them. I ended up finding them in the classified section here as well as on Facebook.

Getting a set of pulleys that are optimally sized can be a chore. But with all that said, if your current pulleys are aligned and your engine runs cool, don't sweat it. At the end of the day, all that matters is that your engine doesn't overheat and you aren't throwing belts.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 04-25-2024, 05:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET View Post
Picture of pulleys
Here is pic in a better orientation. Alignment still hard to tell with second pulley.https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1714079854
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pullyes.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	632642  

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 04-25-2024, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Do these pulleys look Right? 67 GTO, I added a third pulley to the crank to accommodate Classic Auto Air.
Thanks
LET
The factory V8 non AC crank pulleys weren't designed to add a 3rd pulley behind them. That will shift the original 2 groove non AC/PS pump forwards aprox 3/32".

Pontiac for V8 AC applications always ran a larger diam crank pulley (usually 8" in diam) with a matching AC application pulley that varied from aprox 7" in diam, to right under 6" in diam.

V8 non AC applications used a crankshaft pulley which depending on the pulley design serie ranged from around 6 1/4 to 6 1/2" in diam. These non AC crank pulleys were used in conjunction with a matching 8" diam water pump pulley.

Pontiac engineers revised the pulley designs over the years for various reasons.
For '67 V8 models they went to a slightly wider groove pulley. This was on all of the '67 V8 pulleys exc with standard steering (manual steering). When a '67 V8 was equipped with power steering, whether with just a 2 groove non AC pulley, or a smaller diam one to fit w factory AC, or one for CA use with the factory smog pump, the rear groove on the '67 wp pulley always lined up with the factory PS pump pulley. Of note, that particular PS pulley (either a "900" or "901") & PS pump setup continued to be used on a '68 model one year timing cover (first to use a 4 bolt damper). Then that PS setup (first introduced for '67 models) continued to be used on '69's (4" hub height 11 bolt wp) & for the first 4 1/2" hub height 11 bolt wp which were first factory installed on all 70 model Pontiacs, except '70 V8 Firebirds.

For best engine cooling, your best bet is to replicate the '67 factory AC pulley set-up, that esp the case if you desire to stick with the '66-67 V8 timing cover & 8 bolt stack type crank pulleys. If you can note the stamped numbers on your pulleys, can confirm what they are. Looking at the pics, the crank pulleys pictured are def non AC application. The wp pulley is not an "886" which is the smallest diam '67-68 wp pulley.

IF the original '67 timing cover has seen better days & an SFI rated 4 bolt damper & 4 bolt crank pulleys are in the mix, then it's time for a pulley conversion set which in your case would basically be '70 model AC diam wp &'crank pulleys along with a '69 model front alternator strap. Started CONVERSION sets together over 35 years ago when both AC usage pulleys needed were fairly common in our region. After decades of putting together countless such conversions, the problem over the last decade has been sourcing AC application wp pulleys. Typ the needed wp pulley is twice as expensive as the matching crank pulley.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks
LET
The factory V8 non AC crank pulleys weren't designed to add a 3rd pulley behind them. That will shift the original 2 groove non AC/PS crank pulley forwards aprox 3/32".

For V8 AC applications, Pontiac engineers always specified a larger diam crank pulley (usually 8" in diam) with a matching AC application pulley that varied from aprox 7" in diam, down to right under 6" in diam, this depended on the pulley series.

Non AC V8 applications used a specific crankshaft pulley, which depending on the pulley design series, ranged from around 6 1/4 to 6 1/2" in diam. These non AC crank pulleys were used in conjunction with a matching 8" diam water pump pulley.

Pontiac engineers revised the pulley designs over the years for various reasons.
For '67 V8 models they went to a slightly wider groove pulley. This was on all of the '67 V8 pulleys exc with standard steering (manual steering). When a '67 V8 was equipped with power steering, whether with just a 2 groove non AC pulley, or a smaller diam one to fit w factory AC, or one for CA use with the factory smog pump, the rear groove on the '67 wp pulley always lined up with the factory PS pump pulley. Of note, that particular PS pulley (either a "900" or "901") & PS pump setup continued to be used in conjunction w a '68 model one year timing cover (first to use a 4 bolt damper). Then that PS setup (first introduced for '67 models) continued to be used on '69 Pontiac V8's (4" hub height 11 bolt wp) & for the first 4 1/2" hub height 11 bolt wp which were first factory installed on all 70 model Pontiacs (except '70 V8 Firebirds).

For best engine cooling, its often easiast to replicate the '67 factory AC pulley set-up, that is esp the case if you desire to stick with the '66-67 V8 timing cover & 8 bolt stack type crank pulleys. If you can note the stamped numbers on your pulleys, can confirm what they are. Looking at the pics, the crank pulleys pictured are def non AC application. The wp pulley is not an "886" which is the smallest diam '67-68 wp pulley.

IF the original '67 timing cover has seen better days & an SFI rated 4 bolt damper & 4 bolt crank pulleys are in the mix, then it's time for a pulley conversion set which in your case would basically be '70 model AC diam wp &'crank pulleys along with a '69 model front alternator strap. Started CONVERSION sets together over 35 years ago when both AC usage pulleys needed were fairly common in our region. After decades of putting together countless such conversions, the problem over the last decade has been sourcing AC application wp pulleys. Typ the needed wp pulley is twice as expensive as the matching crank pulley.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 04-25-2024 at 07:29 PM.