Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 12-17-2014, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default lowering 1" front coil springs

Car in question is a 69 firebird. I need to lower it about 1" on the passenger side. My question is how much do I need to cut the coil spring, 1/2 or 1 loop? Thanks

Old 12-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I'd buy a pair of matched springs instead.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:12 PM

Not sure if this will help. On my 69 gto I cut half a coil and dropped the front just over an inch. I know its a pain but if you are trying to match height go slowly and make small cuts.
Good luck!

Old 12-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Carsmymistress, thank you. I will do that, even when buying new springs you have to cut to match, in this case they are moroso spring..

Old 12-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The amount of drop per 1/2 coil will depend on the rate of the spring, and the weight of the vehicle.

And no, you don't have to cut matched springs when you buy them new. The issue is that QA on springs are all over the board, which is why 'specialty' suspension places are even out there and doing a ton of business.

There's a number of factors/characteristics of a spring to keep in mind when choosing a spring, and the specialty places out there know these, and choose accordingly. I have yet to see any place that sells springs that are from 'factory blueprints' get it right, or how the customer expects to have the stance.

In my experience, the only place I've had success with spring is Global West. Period. If you know all the characteristics/specs of the spring you want, you can go to the manufacturers of quality springs and save a few bucks, but, for the little extra money, you get customer service and returns, something the manufacturers generally don't provide.

If you do your homework, you can go directly to the manufacturers, like Landrum and Afco, but as previously stated, it's much easier to go to GW.

EDIT: By the way, the number 1 reason cars sit uneven when springs have been replaced is they were improperly seated when installed. Either at the top or in the control arm. At the top, it's easy to get the spring outside the cup in the frame, since it's not solid all the way around. And the open end in the control arm needs to be where the hole is, and not all the way to the end of the pocket.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be