Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-14-2023, 09:44 AM
Senior Chief

Default ATF Level

My friend has a T400 he is putting in place of a 2 speed. It was rebuilt by tranny shop and didn't have a dipstick or tube. I gave him one from another T400 I had. How do we know if level is correct? Engine and tranny is out of car now so it might be easier to confirm dipstick.

Old 04-14-2023, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless you have a dip stick and tube out of a 70s front wheel drive Olds Tornado then there was only two other lenght set up's I know of.

If what you have there comes up to close to the level of the rear of the passenger side valve cover then you have the normal A, B and F body set up.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you asking how to do it, or just asking for measurements? I don't know the measurements for a TH400, but if someone here has another one available to provide the dipstick measurements (or you can find a reference online), just compare that the measurement to the splitline of the trans with the the one you have. Here's one I was checking in a bus when we made some changes; the bottom of the scale is at the splitline and I'm measuring the height to the dipstick markings. (I had a drawing to reference for the measurements.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dipstick verification.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	610698  

Old 04-14-2023, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After being filled and driven (with 2-3 upshifts), and refilled, the fluid should just barely drip out the Vac Mod hole when Mod removed.

So, calibrate your dip stick to that. could represent "overfilled" and if so the vent tube will puke it out, so add a rubber hose to the vent tube, tucking behind the Vac Mod for trapping the hose, and let the hose reach to the Pan floor, and cut level to pan floor. It's a dry idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
After being filled and driven (with 2-3 upshifts), and refilled, the fluid should just barely drip out the Vac Mod hole when Mod removed.

So, calibrate your dip stick to that. could represent "overfilled" and if so the vent tube will puke it out, so add a rubber hose to the vent tube, tucking behind the Vac Mod for trapping the hose, and let the hose reach to the Pan floor, and cut level to pan floor. It's a dry idea.
THIS^^^^. Properly full, the fluid will just barely drip out of the vacuum modulator hole when you pop the modulator off.

Old 04-15-2023, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
the fluid should just barely drip out the Vac Mod hole when Mod removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
THIS^^^^. Properly full, the fluid will just barely drip out of the vacuum modulator hole when you pop the modulator off.
If you do this when the engine has been shut-off overnight, the fluid will pour out. Torque-converter drainback will over-fill the pan, which is why you check trans fluid with the engine running.

I'm expecting that they're pulling the modulator out immediately after shutting-down the fully-warm engine/transmission.

Also assumes the vehicle is level front/rear, and left/right, and hasn't had the engine/trans tilt altered from stock via racing motor mounts or somesuch. Clearly, you couldn't jack-up the front or the side of the vehicle and cram a jack-stand or two under it while you pull the modulator.

Confirmation, H.I.S?

Overall...this is NOTmy first choice for verifying trans fluid level.

If this was me
, I'd
A. Find a dipstick tube that fits the engine/trans--has the welded-on mounting bracket in the right place, correct bends, etc.

B. Shove the dipstick into the tube. See how much pokes out the transmission end. Compare the amount of tube that gets crammed into the trans case, so that the "Full" mark on the dipstick is level with the pan gasket when the tube is (eventually) properly inserted into the trans, and the dipstick is properly inserted into the tube.

C. While you're doing all this dicking-around with the dipstick tube, make sure the tube isn't cracked where it's rolled to form the O-ring groove that seals it to the case. IF (big IF) you have a choice, get a tube that uses the newer "top hat" seal rather than the O-ring.

Last edited by Schurkey; 04-15-2023 at 12:20 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2023, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yez. Overall, i insist that attaining the correct level in a fresh, dry TH-400 install needs careful attention.

Back in the day, i'd use the taller Big Car Dipstick tubes for ease of service. Good O-ring, no sealers.

These days, the "modern" dipstick tubes which use the grommet are superior in leak free operation.

Old 04-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for all replies. I like Schurkeys way to establish level. Maybe we will double check level after getting up and running with modulator level method.

Old 04-15-2023, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think if one cross referenced the year of trans and go to parts store, and say hi i need a new dipstick they sell you one from transdapt?? the correct tube and dipstick(granted is sport racing chrome though).

I lost my oil dip stick and did the above. I verified the measurement of the dipstick from another 69 gto car owner with stock oil pan and was exact match for the trandept/tansdept one I was sold so I called it a day and moved on?

Food for thought?

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 04-15-2023, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pull the pan with the dipstick properly installed and check that the full mark is 1/4" above the pan rail.

Old 04-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First of all the engine has to be running in order to check the fluid level. In neutral . If the dipstick is original to the tube you should be ok
You just have to worry about it fitting the car.

Old 04-15-2023, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
First of all the engine has to be running in order to check the fluid level. In neutral . If the dipstick is original to the tube you should be ok
You just have to worry about it fitting the car.
Agreed, but to check the accuracy of the mark of a non original tube and stick would be prudent. Won't matter if the engine is on or off if the measuring device is wrong.

Old 04-15-2023, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They should all be the same, just upper part length and shape is different. The only thing that would be different is the depth of the pan. And that shouldn't make a difference.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So just a little clarification. My understanding is fluid 1/4" above the Transmission pan rail, engine running, hot fluid. Thoughts? Thanks

I understand the thread is about measurement of the dip stick itself.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2023, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
Agreed, but to check the accuracy of the mark of a non original tube and stick would be prudent. Won't matter if the engine is on or off if the measuring device is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
They should all be the same, just upper part length and shape is different. The only thing that would be different is the depth of the pan. And that shouldn't make a difference.
The should the be same, but they aren't. Aftermarket TCI dipstick. Same length dipstick out of the tube, different measurement markings. Pretty sure I ran my last transmission a quart low for years because I never checked this until Holeshot71 prompted me to recently.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1173.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	610847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1172.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	610848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1174.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	610849  

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2023, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep. Hopefully the OP will verify whatever he ends up using. Doesn't take much effort to check if you're starting with a transmission that's empty.

Old 04-17-2023, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
So just a little clarification. My understanding is fluid 1/4" above the Transmission pan rail, engine running, hot fluid. Thoughts?
I thought the fluid was supposed to be level with the pan gasket. But I'm prepared to learn something.

And it may be that 1/4" difference really doesn't make a difference, given that the vehicle when in motion is going to be subject to G-forces that will move the fluid around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
I understand the thread is about measurement of the dip stick itself.
Well, the stick in relation to the tube it's used with.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2023, 02:36 AM

Motor Trend article; What Causes Automatic Transmission Failure? 7 Ways to Destroy a Transmission

1. Your Dipstick Is Wrong

Link below

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ca...C44306ACA475AB

The Following User Says Thank You to Quad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2023, 09:52 AM
Senior Chief

One more question. The tube I gave him has the strap that must go in a head bolt hole. But his head dosn't have a hole that matches. His motor is a 68 400, and my tube was from a 455 from a 71 or a 75? On my 69 T400 the strap goes to the top tranny hole.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Warning: Bud Light is a totally-wrong kind of tranny fluid for Turbo Hydramatics.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post: