Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-23-2006, 05:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to smuryof Send a message via MSN to smuryof Send a message via Yahoo to smuryof

.. Now I'm starting to lean toward keeping my TH400 and being happy w/ what I have .... lol ...

Old 12-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SSmike, just for appearances. I don't swap gears very often and we are talking about an SD car here. It's not original in a lot of ways but the theme has always been to keep it looking as stock as possible and still do what I want to do, which is drive it and race it a few times per year.

So really, for me, the GV unit keeps coming back as the logical solution.

Skip, this will be my first HRPT but I hear 130 might not be fast enough.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hopefully your motor has more pull than the stock 1978 180 hp 400 did, all it would pull was 4000 in high gear!

Old 12-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuryof
.. Now I'm starting to lean toward keeping my TH400 and being happy w/ what I have .... lol ...
Another Utah'n on the board....Right on.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 12-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

critter, understood; didnt realize that.
happy holidays

Old 12-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Skip, pulled 130 with 3.08 gears and it still had some left.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

TheMonkey, I have a 30 over 455 eagle rods and a hyd cam .520 lift w/ 1.6 rockers and 4.33 posi unit. The 2X4 won't allow really good gas mpg. I think I get 15 to 16 open road ( 65 mph 2600 rpm ) I went with a 200 mainly for the ability to drive around town and open road with out buzzing the motor at 3500just to stay up with traffic. I do like the looks on 5.0 rustang when smoke them by 5 or 6 car links between lights. My ride is a street car that will run 12's if I want too, whats better that!
Jay

Old 12-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuryof
Hey folks,

I'm starting to think about dropping the ol' TH400 and putting in one of these aftermarket models. Supposedly I can just drop it in place - at least that's what their website says.

Anyone here done this in a fullsize? It would be going into a '70 Catalina w/ stock rear gears (3.73.)
You really have 3.73 gears? That's really unusual for a big car with an automatic...they're usually closer to 2.73.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to smuryof Send a message via MSN to smuryof Send a message via Yahoo to smuryof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
You really have 3.73 gears? That's really unusual for a big car with an automatic...they're usually closer to 2.73.
It's possible - thought I had read in the Motors manual 3.73. I'll check again... Would the 2.73 redline at 120mph in 3rd?

Old 12-24-2006, 04:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone know how difficult it would be, or whether it is even viable or worthwhile, to adapt a 5 speed trans from an SRT-8 chrysler?

I like the triptronic, and throttle blip on downshifts. It seems that not many try chrysler trannys in GM's. Granted, GM made/makes decent units, but ask any chrysler fan and they just go ape$#*t over the 727's.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

karch, the box in the new dodge's is a mercedes unit, not a chrylser.
aside from phyiscal mounting issues and ultimate torque capacity, you gotta run the electronics.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedshopmike
roadrage dave, you got problems, man.
try proofing your posts before you hit submit, and look for a reasonable clue while you're at it.
someone might actually listen to you one day.
Im sorry Mike but its you that seem to be troubelt.. i dont think the bigger companys like bowty overdrives and the iven more ecspensif companys who have 3 full time phone opereaters are able selling crap transmissions who only last2 ore 3years and get away with it for so long,, if they are not upto the task(see what happens with the MR1 BLOCKS NO sutch drama story going on with the tr200r4).. they have tr2004r cars in the 9 and 10sec constendly and now you asking me to proof my posts!!!, how about you prooving yours against the god knows howmanny who drive around trouble free for manny years.plenty sucses storys around about this tranny, but hey forgive my bad spelling im dutch . and i dont know anything.lets leave it at that...

Old 12-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey mike, if you think he needs to work on his grammar and spelling, how about you make your next post in Dutch, Russian, or Mandarin since English would be your first language..

its somewhat uncool to rip on a guy who doesnt use english every day and has learned it from childhood. At least he is trying unlike millions of people here who dont bother to learn english, or people in the USA who are too egotistical, unmotivated, or busy to learn something else as well.

As for the 200vs400GV debate, what does the guy who owns the car think? how heavy is his fullsize, and whats his powerplant making?

Old 12-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Senior Chief

This is a pretty good discussion. I've looked at a 200R4 and decided against it for my 428 build. 4L80E are very nice with all the strength and such. There is even an aftermarket "shrifter" Tiptronic type device for it. The cost is prohibitive for the tranny and the attendant computer+software to run it. And that's if you had a tranny jack to install it yourself.

I would ask has anybody even thought about the new Hydramatic 6T70 six speed automatics? The cost is probably near the 4L80E's and you get two more gears. I see them right now stock backing up 403HP Cadillac Escalade's and 400HP C-6 Covettes in rear drive applications. Maybe some are in boneyards right now from "Yuppie's" wrecking them.

With closer 6 speed gear spacing smaller Pontiac 400's would be more competitive out on the street and track against opponents running 3 speed autos. And the advantage of a factory TapShift ala the C-6 Corvette thumb buttons.

Any thoughts on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford-gm_6-speed-automatic.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	76857  

Old 12-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

roadrage, i was unaware you're dutch; sorry for busting your chops on your english skills; your location is not stated.
if you'd read back, i said clearly i have nothing against 200's if done right, and i don't.
i never said they were crap transmissions, nor do i feel that way.
nor am i holding a gun to the original poster's head to do what i say, nor am i selling him any parts or anything else, nor trying to profit in any way shape or form regarding this.
believe what you wish; i merely gave my opinion on the topic, and stand by it - a 200 shouldn't be in a full size car and expect to have oem durability and reliability levels.
one can expect those qualities from a t400/gear vendors combo in his case.
if one is seeking to go quick as possible and is less concerned with durability, the 200's the better choice as it's quite a bit lighter and more efficient; this is no secret to anyone.
however, given the gentleman has a full size, not an A body or f-car, for a vehicle, my guess is he is not looking for an extra 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile, but something that will live without thought in his driver car.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Speedshopmike, I understand your feelings about fullsize and the 200. I would not put one in if I was going to race on a weekly bascis not even in a "A" body. They do have there place in full size if build and setup correctly. The setup is key. I have watch a friend put a Art Carr build 200 in his 65 lemans and it only lasted 6 mo. He did setup the TV with line a pressure gage. He did it by "feel'. I also know of a fullsize 67 cad with warm over 472 that has had a 200 in it for over 8 years maybe more. Its a daily driver and he is not known for a light right foot. So IMO if you going to race or drive it hard put a t400 or glide in it.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:06 PM

I never expected to spark such a debate... it's been interesting to read all these perspectives.

So anyway, after going for a drive with my Summit 2802 + 4v build running properly for the first time today (setbacks from being sold a bad carb from someone on here - I went and picked up a rebuilt unit from a local shop and now finally things are running right) I gotta say, I really miss the low-end torque from my original 2v setup. Not that I'm complaining, seems to wind up good in the upper RPM's (as one would expect.) This whole thing was an experiment, being my first build and all, and I've learned more than I could ever have imagined.

So I'm starting to think 6 speeds would be best, plus durability. I do not plan on going to any 1/4 tracks anytime soon, as I'm not big on drag racing (did I just make 100 enemies by saying that? heh) BUT what I would like to do, and have been planning on since the start, is seeing how fast (top speed) I can make this pig go. I'd rather have durability over performance, so in that light, I don't think the 200 is for me - so I'll just look at what will give me the gears I want for city driving, plus the OD for getting my top speed as high as possible, and see if I can stash enough cash for this in the summertime.

The salt flats await my arrival.... (One benefit to being in Utah!)

-Jim

Old 12-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, if you're missing low end with that cam and a good qjet, something still isn't right. Try to fatten that carb up a bit and see how it behaves. That setup should be all about some bottom end.

Hecotre3 opened a new line of thought that I've been watching in some other forums. The technology is so new there's not much in real world experience regarding that transmission yet. The idea is way cool.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just finished building a 461 stroker for my LeMans, plan to spray it with a 175 shot, and bought a bto 200, converter, and all the goodies, after a bunch of research. I know a number of GN guys, and most are in the 10s or better, using 200s. Some have had problems, mostly due to poor rebuilds, and the ones who have 'properly built' 200s by reputable people are not having problems. All stress that TV adjustment, pressure, deep pans, and proper cooling are critical to these trans' living. That's not counting proper fluid flushing & fill. And just to say, The TCI 400 I have in there now, for the last 60k+ miles, is working fine, and I plan on putting it in my daughter's Cutlass. I flushed the heck out of it when first installed, and changed the fluid every 20k or so...

I'll have the engine & trans in by Jan 15, and will let all know my results. I'll take pics and all of the install, and share my experience....

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That would be appreciated.

One of the things that has me discounting the GN users results is that they run turbo motors. That's a completely different drive line hit than all the torque of a big cube, big torque Pontiac. Turbos come on in a linear fashion rather than the massive shock of launching a big cube motor.

I'll be very interested in hearing your results.